ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops buyout?

R.O.T.Muckinfush

Sophomore
Jul 13, 2017
Hypothetical, we all know it ain't happening, but just curious how much he would be owed this year and next etc?

Better question...who you hiring? You got a flavor of the week or a magical unicorn you think will come to UK from a fanbase that thinks top tier ppl would come without being paid or with a buyout or that they would complain about it.

Here's who Stoops is paid more than in the SEC

1. Billy Napier, Florida Gators – $7.27 million
  2. Hugh Freeze, Auburn Tigers – $6.5 million
  3. Sam Pittman, Arkansas Razorbacks – $6.36 million
  4. Shane Beamer, South Carolina Gamecocks – $6.13 million
  5. Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri Tigers – $6 million
  6. Clark Lea, Vanderbilt Commodores – $3.05 million
  7. Zach Arnett, Mississippi State Bulldogs – $3 million
Who should he be paid under here? Drinkowitz will most likely get a raise as he's in year 4 and with this years success, but he also took over a program with 3 straight bowl appearances so he didn't start with nothing, but has been around 6 wins his first 3 (which would make you restless), we'll see what happens in years after this for them. I guess Stoops technically makes about 100k more than Heupel in year 3, with a seven win season, a probable 8 win this year (which youre currently potentially asking about a buyout over for UK if they win the next 2) , and then last yrs 11 win ,and Kiffin who's in year 4.

I’ve pretty much conceded Stopps is a 7-5/9-3 coach, at least at Kentucky and being in the SEC. Not sure who they would get to go above that. There are schools desperately trying to get there (A&M for example), that put WAY more emphasis in their football programs. Who would that coach even be?

When fans think winning 9+ wins at Kentucky is their birthright the entire program is doomed. Setting up a revolving door of coaches, philosophies, and inconsistency.
Don’t think anyone thinks winning 9+is a birthright but stoops ain’t winning 9+ here any longer and he has shown he isn’t getting UK past our current hump. I’ll take my chances with the next hire rather than settling for 7-5 regular seasons and not being competitive against the better teams on our schedule. We don’t even get into the 2nd quarter before the outcome of the game is decided.

I’ve pretty much conceded Stopps is a 7-5/9-3 coach, at least at Kentucky and being in the SEC. Not sure who they would get to go above that. There are schools desperately trying to get there (A&M for example), that put WAY more emphasis in their football programs. Who would that coach even be?

That top end win total will decrease going forward IMO as the NIL gap widens and the schedule gets tougher.

Thanks to Barney's genius contact maneuvering Stoops isn't going anywhere until he wants to.

From here on out Stoops will be lucky to win 6 games per season. Go take a look at the 2024 schedule. It does not look good at all. Our last three are on the road. At Ole Miss, at UT, and at Texas.

Good luck recruiting from the basement. Unless the pod system works out heavily in our favor things are only going to get worse in the future.

I believe it’s around $47 million right now. He would be owed 75% of his remaining salary if he’s fired without cause. He’s signed through 2031 at around $9 million/year.
That pretty much solidifies that he’s going nowhere unless it’s for another coaching job.

Reactions: catben
Don’t think anyone thinks winning 9+is a birthright but stoops ain’t winning 9+ here any longer and he has shown he isn’t getting UK past our current hump. I’ll take my chances with the next hire rather than settling for 7-5 regular seasons and not being competitive against the better teams on our schedule. We don’t even get into the 2nd quarter before the outcome of the game is decided.
What are you asking for then? I’m confused by your post. You say no one is expecting 9 wins but you say 7 wins isn’t enough? So you’re saying you’ll fire Stoops and gamble on someone getting you 8 wins?

Reactions: Crystalglass
That top end win total will decrease going forward IMO as the NIL gap widens and the schedule gets tougher.
Stoops has done very well in the transfer portal, especially filling skill gaps. Players want to play, they know they can come here and get time when they are passed over. I don’t think 9 win seasons are out of the realm of possibility, even this year it’s very doable wit South Carolina, Louisville and the bowl game.

Thanks to Barney's genius contact maneuvering Stoops isn't going anywhere until he wants to.

From here on out Stoops will be lucky to win 6 games per season. Go take a look at the 2024 schedule. It does not look good at all. Our last three are on the road. At Ole Miss, at UT, and at Texas.

Good luck recruiting from the basement. Unless the pod system works out heavily in our favor things are only going to get worse in the future.
If the schedule has actually been released, please provide a link. The part that actually did get released has a home game against u6 as our last game.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA

The ooc games are set while the SEC schedule is TBD as far as dates but opponents and venues are in place. I'm guessing once the 2023 season is over we will see a full schedule release?

The ooc games are set while the SEC schedule is TBD as far as dates but opponents and venues are in place. I'm guessing once the 2023 season is over we will see a full schedule release?
Correct. I have no idea how firewithfire concluded that we finish the season with three SEC road games in a row.

What are you asking for then? I’m confused by your post. You say no one is expecting 9 wins but you say 7 wins isn’t enough? So you’re saying you’ll fire Stoops and gamble on someone getting you 8 wins?
It’s pretty simple, I don’t expect a 9 win season but it’s nice to know we can field a team capable of such. Stoops is no longer capable of that with his coaching shortcomings. Expecting to be great and striving for greatness are two different things. Stoops cannot get it us there. Easy enough for you now?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
8.6M thru 2031....so that is 7 more years after this ...or $60M. I don't see a percentage per year part of buyout. I see the total of each year is owed.

It’s pretty simple, I don’t expect a 9 win season but it’s nice to know we can field a team capable of such. Stoops is no longer capable of that with his coaching shortcomings. Expecting to be great and striving for greatness are two different things. Stoops cannot get it us there. Easy enough for you now?
Not really because what you claim you want and what you’re describing are basically the same. Stoops won 10 games in 2021 after people in 2020 said 2018 was a fluke. People said he hit a ceiling in 2017 and then win 10 in 2018.

Point being, posters are wrong a lot on what his ceiling is (myself included). Thanks for the chat!

Last edited:
When fans think winning 9+ wins at Kentucky is their birthright the entire program is doomed. Setting up a revolving door of coaches, philosophies, and inconsistency.
Well, that is what schools with the expectation of winning in the SEC do. The coaches come in, get paid a lot of money and get 2-3 yrs to show something. If it doesn't work out, the schools move on. There are always good young up and coming coords that want a shot. The problem is, do you have an AD who can find them? Not sure I trust Barney for that.

I'd rather be making an effort to get better coaching any day of the week than stand pat and just accept 6-6, 7-5 seasons as the best we can do. If Kentucky was 6-4 this year and I felt like they were well prepared every game, disciplined an the coaching staff put good game plans together and played to win, I'd feel better about the direction of the program. But they're not, they are 6-4 and have largely looked like crap getting there.

Last edited:
Not really because what you claim you want and what you’re describing are basically the same. Stoops won 10 games in 2021 after people in 2020 said 2018 was a fluke. People said he hit a ceiling in 2017 and then win 10 in 2018.

Point being, posters are wrong a lot on what his ceiling is (myself included). Thanks for the chat!
18 and 21 are in the rear view mirror. The game is evolving every year and stoops is not/will not evolve with it. I’d like to cut bait and move on while we have something to sell. The next several years will be going the wrong direction but yeah sure, let’s wait until we are back to winning just 2-3 conference games/year on the regular before deciding stoops can’t get it done any longer. Also love the nail biters with lesser opponents we have annually to look forward to just as we did EKU this year. Good times!!!

'd rather be making an effort to get better coaching any day of the week than stand pat and just accept 6-6, 7-5 se
I hear you but my point is that’s not a guaranteed floor. It could blow up and be worse. It’s a big gamble. Devil You Know vs Devil You Don’t Know type thing

I hear you but my point is that’s not a guaranteed floor. It could blow up and be worse. It’s a big gamble. Devil You Know vs Devil You Don’t Know type thing
You're not wrong. We might have to suffer through some really bad seasons too. Maybe it's not possible for UK to completely climb the mountain in the SEC. NIL is going to make that very difficult for them. I guess I have to accept that as a possibility too.

Reactions: YaketySax
Well, that is what schools with the expectation of winning in the SEC do. The coaches come in, get paid a lot of money and get 2-3 to show something. If it doesn't work out, the schools move on. There are always good young up and coming coords that want a shot. The problem is, do you have an AD who can find them? Not sure I trust Barney for that.

I'd rather be making an effort to get better coaching any day of the week than stand pat and just accept 6-6, 7-5 seasons as the best we can do. If Kentucky was 6-4 this year and I felt like they were well prepared every game, disciplined an the coaching staff put good game plans together and played to win, I'd feel better about the direction of the program. But they're not, they are 6-4 and have largely looked like crap getting there.
Glad we had Ball St. and Akron on the schedule

I think Stoops has done a pretty decent job for his entire tenure. I think some bad luck played into this season with Leary not being near as good as he was before the injury. If they had of known that I think they would have went with someone else. If Leary was who they thought he was we would have had a lot better shot of beating Missouri & Tennessee. With this version of Leary and no serviceable backup it will be hard to beat S. Carolina and Louisville on the road unless the defense steps up and plays like they did against Florida. 6-6 is looking like a real possibility. Might get one of those and end up 7-5 but I would have more belief in that if we played Louisville and S. Carolina at home.

We have the 6th highest paid coach in the nation right now. That is without beating Georgia or Bama during his time.

At least Stoops did not come in a say we will be competing for national championships every year. So 7-9 wins is considered the expectation.

If you look at our roster this was CLEARLY a rebuilding year on the defensive side of the ball. We lost….. both starters at corner. Starting Safety, 5 year captain of the linebackers Square. Super senior LB Jacques Jones, Jordan Wright. Projected nickel was kicked off the team. Starting NG left for better NIL. That’s a shitload to replace.

If you look at our roster this was CLEARLY a rebuilding year on the defensive side of the ball. We lost….. both starters at corner. Starting Safety, 5 year captain of the linebackers Square. Super senior LB Jacques Jones, Jordan Wright. Projected nickel was kicked off the team. Starting NG left for better NIL. That’s a shitload to replace.
1. All teams lose guys...so critical guys we lose is one thing...but just counting we lose x guys so it's all defendable....not so fast.
2. Inside LBer...Trevin Wallace and Deryck Jackson are you arguing they are a good bit fall off from Jacquez and Square. Trevin had a bad game vs. Tennessee...but he's been our best athlete on D.
3. DLine...I get Justin Rogers left....but for pete sake we brought back Walker, Ox, Saunders, Rybka, Hayes and brought in Silver as 5* NG. So hard to argue talent level was way worse
4. Jordan Wright was a solid run Lber...but he was not a pass rusher. I'd argue Afari is a really good player and has been fine
5. DBs....we for sure missed guys. Keidron Smith and Valentine to Max and Dre Phillips. Max has been really good but Dre...he's probably a nickel and not top notch SEC CB. Ajian, Geiger, Lovett...to Childress, Geiger, Lovett....so Ajian was a massive blow?

If White could not do better with that much coming back....he's not quite the defensive coach that he's getting paid to be. His Dbs were constantly off all year long and we never found their rear ends on bench which is what the bench is for.

I believe it’s around $47 million right now. He would be owed 75% of his remaining salary if he’s fired without cause. He’s signed through 2031 at around $9 million/year.
Wow...$9M per year til 2031, and his big brother gets $1M a yr pretending to be a coach, too? Impressive!

Reactions: bigbluedon
Buyouts at UK are irrelevant. Stoops will be here until he retires or leaves on his own. We have little expectations at UK with football so no way he ever feels a hot seat.
Stoops won't feel the hot seat BECAUSE he has done his job by greatly improving our football program since he got here for the 2013 season. He is the winningest coach in UK football history. He has recruited the best classes in modern UK history. He has developed great players such as Josh Allen, a first team All American and Bednarik Trophy winner. Either you have a very short memory, or else you deliberately post nonsense. Or both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT