ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

How much of any one stock as % of your portfolio do you feel comfortable owning?

I have almost 19% in one stock across all investments. Getting a little nervous as it seems a bit overvalued. I have trailing stops on some of it.
15% at Friday's close (07/28/23) ... 17.05% of cost.

I am retired and have a retirement portfolio for dividend income. Here is my current allocation, based on total invested cost. 70% in tax-deferred accounts and 30% in taxable accounts ... fwiw. GLTY !!
REITs13
30.20%​
Steel Producer1
17.05%​
Preferred Stocks5
10.73%​
Financial6
10.33%​
Oil & Gas3
10.32%​
Tobacco2
5.67%​
Mining1
4.66%​
Mutual Funds2
4.01%​
Telecom Services1
3.87%​
Retail1
2.06%​
Cash
1.10%​

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
I’m a newbie to the stocks as well, just kinda buy here and there on a whim mostly with the intent to hold for awhile. Started a few years ago, have MSFT, AAPL, LUV, CCL, LLY, DIS etc.

Most have done well and are up, but my Disney stock is obviously tanked. Wondering your thoughts as I’m not sure if I should dump and take the loss or hold? It’s not a ton of cash a couple thousand, but it’s down about 26% since I bought it. Curious what people who know what the hell they are doing would do in my position. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I’m a newbie to the stocks as well, just kinda buy here and there on a whim mostly with the intent to hold for awhile. Started a few years ago, have MSFT, AAPL, LUV, CCL, LLY, DIS etc.

Most have done well and are up, but my Disney stock is obviously tanked. Wondering your thoughts as I’m not sure if I should dump and take the loss or hold? It’s not a ton of cash a couple thousand, but it’s down about 26% since I bought it. Curious what people who know what the hell they are doing would do in my position. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
DIS is not some obscure stock, so I wouldn't be worried about it just full-on tanking. There is strong support in the 80-85 range, so selling now seems like selling at a possible bottom, when it could have 20% upside from here. I would keep it for now -- possibly re-evaluate if/when it goes above 100 if you have another stock in which you would prefer to allocate your capital. Motely Fool is saying to HOLD.

DIS is not some obscure stock, so I wouldn't be worried about it just full-on tanking. There is strong support in the 80-85 range, so selling now seems like selling at a possible bottom, when it could have 20% upside from here. I would keep it for now -- possibly re-evaluate if/when it goes above 100 if you have another stock in which you would prefer to allocate your capital. Motely Fool is saying to HOLD.

Correct. DIS is one of the 30 Dow Industrial stocks. DJIA represents the most scrutinized issues on the planet. I'd hold and reinvest dividends.

Reactions: Atrain7732
How much of any one stock as % of your portfolio do you feel comfortable owning?

I have almost 19% in one stock across all investments. Getting a little nervous as it seems a bit overvalued. I have trailing stops on some of it.
Professional portfolio managers often use a benchmark of 5%. For me, 15-20% as someone who can be much more nimble than a portfolio of hundreds of millions.

Reactions: ukdesi
Correct. DIS is one of the 30 Dow Industrial stocks. DJIA represents the most scrutinized issues on the planet. I'd hold and reinvest dividends.
At some point, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole and all the sellers have already sold. DIS no longer pays a dividend and could go lower but the odds might be greater for a rally, 60/40 perhaps. The strike can't help. Bob Iger coming back can only help during these turbulent times.

At some point, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole and all the sellers have already sold. DIS no longer pays a dividend and could go lower but the odds might be greater for a rally, 60/40 perhaps. The strike can't help. Bob Iger coming back can only help during these turbulent times.
Many times 2.0 is never as good as 1.0

Reactions: Atrain7732
All of the advice is much appreciated. Think I will
hold for now and see how things shake out moving forward.

Great catch. I was totally unaware of DIS dividend cut. I'd still hold.

Meanwhile, I began purchasing Upjohn via DRiP in 1993. Upjohn merged with Pharmacia and finally Pfizer. 30 years later I'm still holding. Hopefully no dividend cut on the horizon.

Reactions: lz and jameslee32
Great catch. I was totally unaware of DIS dividend cut. I'd still hold.

Meanwhile, I began purchasing Upjohn via DRiP in 1993. Upjohn merged with Pharmacia and finally Pfizer. 30 years later I'm still holding. Hopefully no dividend cut on the horizon.
Iger has already mentioned resuming the dividend in his short time back as CEO.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Bought just 10 shares of C yesterday. Plan on dollar-cost averaging into more shares over coming weeks.

Price/Book = 0.49. Heh.
Been trying to buy more BAC but it stopped falling in May. Paying me 3% while I wait. Price to book also under 1.00 at 0.97. JPM has been a horse but now up to 1.58. Could be a source of funds though.

Been trying to buy more BAC but it stopped falling in May. Paying me 3% while I wait. Price to book also under 1.00 at 0.97. JPM has been a horse but now up to 1.58. Could be a source of funds though.
My primary bank account is with BAC, but I no longer hold any stock.

Primary reason for the account is because I traveled often to Germany. Hopefully heading back in a few months. BAC has agreement with DB. Easy to get cash. They pissed me off bad. Would not cash matured savings bonds because of registration. Truist cashed them.

BGS popped. I'm up 32% since purchase.
Nice trade. I've made money in it before but sold most of my position higher. Will sell again but no rush for now as it's still at a 12 year low. I would sell now and buy more SJM but it's less than 10% from all-time highs. Maybe we can get another pop in BGS as their balance sheet improves.

Speaking of popping. AMZN.
popping-bubbley-bubbles.gif

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
TLRY acquiring several BUD craft beer brands.

"Tilray will acquire Shock Top, Breckenridge Brewery, Blue Point Brewing Company, 10 Barrel Brewing Company, Redhook Brewery, Widmer Brothers Brewing, Square Mile Cider Company, and HiBall Energy."

Really enjoyed those highlighted brands years ago.

Reactions: lz
TLRY acquiring several BUD craft beer brands.

"Tilray will acquire Shock Top, Breckenridge Brewery, Blue Point Brewing Company, 10 Barrel Brewing Company, Redhook Brewery, Widmer Brothers Brewing, Square Mile Cider Company, and HiBall Energy."

Really enjoyed those highlighted brands years ago.
Can't say I've tried any but the first 2. Wall Street not looking favorably on the purchase today. BUD is slightly green though.

I wanted to share this short video from Financial Wisdom. He uses CHAT GPT AI to examine the top 20 growth stocks over the last 20 years, then using the same criteria to predict the top 20 growth stocks for the next 20 years. It turns out some names are really no brainers but a few are stocks I've never heard of. I subscribe to this guy's site, he has a lot of really interesting and easy to follow investment videos:

Call me crazy, but I’m getting a bad feeling about where the stock market is headed. Downturn in China + credit crunch = bad stuff, IMO

Call me crazy, but I’m getting a bad feeling about where the stock market is headed. Downturn in China + credit crunch = bad stuff, IMO

Does anyone feel good about the next 5 to 10 years? Or beyond? Mortgage foreclosures on the rise, student loan payments starting again. Interest rates seemingly might go up again?

The percentage of 80s/90s born that are in good financial standing has to be far less than boomers and the generations before them. And that's not to assign blame.. but the "next up" generations really don't have a great financial outlook right now, which sure isn't gonna be any better for the middle/upper class who are about to be paying $80k/year for college.

I'd be curious to hear some of the more experienced (old) posters here, on their thoughts about where our economy is heading. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I just don't see what our generations are going to be able to afford.

Frustrating to this old timer that young people haven’t gone berserk about the age and abilities of our last two presidents. That continuation ultimately will crush the finances of young people.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Frustrating to this old timer that young people haven’t gone berserk about the age and abilities of our last two presidents. That continuation ultimately will crush the finances of young people.
How so? Still just one of 3 branches chock full of older people.

There’s old, then there’s disgustingly old. I’m not there….yet.
Still not seeing the correlation to youth finance but generally speaking, the mantra hasn't really changed. Rewards usually require a variable degree of risk.

I think for this country to really move again economically, young people have to take the lead in booting the dead wood in our already rich Congress, provide younger US Presidents and CEOs with vision. Do I have answers as a 76 year old retiree? Nope, just hope.
Maybe the real vitality is now in India, Germany, Japan and other countries, the rest of us can sit quietly and wait. Too much debt and most of us don’t want to pay a penny more of income taxes. Look around at the foolish leadership of our mayors and governors, how do we grow our economy? Invest in AI, that will take care of us?

With 5.95% GDP growth in 2021, the best in years, came 2022/23 inflation, panic and over a year's worth of Fed interest rate hikes.

The Board of Directors of United States Steel Corporation (X) was scheduled to meet over the weekend to decide on whether to accept a buy-out offer. There are several offers on the table. Many people seem to think that Cleveland-Cliffs, Inc. (CLF) will be the acquirer, but we'll see. If so, CLF might be a good long-term prospect worth looking into. I suspect news and/or an update will be released tomorrow ... GLTA !!

Last edited:
Reactions: kritikalcat and lz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT