ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier offers solution for the transfer portal/NIL

What he is essentially suggesting is a salary cap like the NFL teams have, this has been suggested before by some of our own members on here but there is one big issue with that, in all likelihood it would violate the decision by the SCOTUS that basically says all citizens are entitled to sell their NILs. There is no limit on that, it's a constitutional right that they have.

Reactions: JASUN74
I'll save anyone the time from clicking the link:

“They’ve gotta do something about it. I think they gotta come up with a budget. The Power Five teams, you’ve got $30 million to spend. If you want to give it all to the quarterback, that’s your business. But put a limit and let them spread it out and go from there. It will help even out things a little bit as far as getting recruiting back into the game."

His solution isn't really a solution because we used to have a limit. It was $0. Teams still got around that, and they would still get around any limitation that you set. It's not a solution.

Reactions: Blue-ish
I'll save anyone the time from clicking the link:

His solution isn't really a solution because we used to have a limit. It was $0. Teams still got around that, and they would still get around any limitation that you set. It's not a solution.
My question is why haven’t NFL fans cheated around the salary cap? Why doesn’t Dallas fans set up a collective for A Q B ? If you can’t stop anyone from paying for NIL why haven’t they brought in Mahomes with the salary cap payment and fans offer 15 million in NIL endorsements? Oh crap……. Did I just open a Texas A&M can of worms?

My question is why haven’t NFL fans cheated around the salary cap? Why doesn’t Dallas fans set up a collective for A Q B ? If you can’t stop anyone from paying for NIL why haven’t they brought in Mahomes with the salary cap payment and fans offer 15 million in NIL endorsements? Oh crap……. Did I just open a Texas A&M can of worms?
NFL players are free to make as much NIL money as they want and some of them make 6-7 figures on commercial endorsements etc. However the NFL is a commercial business and teams are part of it. Members have to oblige by the rules of the league and one of them specifies the total amount they can spend on players salaries.

NFL players are free to make as much NIL money as they want and some of them make 6-7 figures on commercial endorsements etc. However the NFL is a commercial business and teams are part of it. Members have to oblige by the rules of the league and one of them specifies the total amount they can spend on players salaries.
You said the teams abide by rules. I’m talking the fans? Rich boosters at A&M set up the first collective, not the team. I just think a rich Fan has never organized it. SCOTUS ruling doesn’t only apply to college. I don’t believe you could stop a fanbase from buying players above the salary cap any more than you can stop it in college. The Fan collective would contact Mahomes and tell him we have an extra 20 million for your NIL in endorsements. Take what the team cap is and we will supplement the rest in contract endorsements. I really just believe NFL fans haven’t thought of it / organized it. If they did, the NFL couldn’t stop them.

Last edited:
Reactions: secrules3
NIL has proven how stupid we fans are in reality. Paying high school graduates $8 million dollars to play college football is more than crazy. But paying coaches $10 million is pretty silly as well. We all have to face something that is really hard for older guys like myself - "College sports are not amateur sports anymore". In reality they haven't been for decades - we just turned our backs on it.

Why even have the players go to class anymore - or in reality do they? Its just an out and out farce. But I, and everyone else, will probably have our weekends totally controlled by college football forever!

Go Big Blue!

What he is essentially suggesting is a salary cap like the NFL teams have, this has been suggested before by some of our own members on here but there is one big issue with that, in all likelihood it would violate the decision by the SCOTUS that basically says all citizens are entitled to sell their NILs. There is no limit on that, it's a constitutional right that they have.
Many of us have been saying the same thing. Just because it’s Spurrier, it’s a new solution!

Reactions: FirewithFire
Some franchises do offer advantages outside the salary cap that are attractive to star players. No state income tax is probably one of the most impactful that draws players into places like Texas, Tennessee, and Florida.

The head marketing person at State Farm could be a big Chiefs fan, making sure to keep Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid paid. Do we know?

OJ Simpson had a film career because he played at USC. Rick Fox had a modeling/acting career because he played for the Lakers. There are lots of things that happen in the peripheral that gives advantages beyond a salary cap.

Reactions: gojvc and satcheluk
Some franchises do offer advantages outside the salary cap that are attractive to star players. No state income tax is probably one of the most impactful that draws players into places like Texas, Tennessee, and Florida.

The head marketing person at State Farm could be a big Chiefs fan, making sure to keep Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid paid. Do we know?

OJ Simpson had a film career because he played at USC. Rick Fox had a modeling/acting career because he played for the Lakers. There are lots of things that happen in the peripheral that gives advantages beyond a salary cap.
Yes. That’s keeping players happy where they are tho. I’m talking recruiting a winner by cheating like what happened in college. Fans, not the organization Using NIL as a guise to pay players to come to your organization to play. After thinking on it, I don’t see how the NFL or NBA could stop fans from organizing collectives to recruit players above the salary cap.

Yes. That’s keeping players happy where they are tho. I’m talking recruiting a winner by cheating like what happened in college. Fans, not the organization Using NIL as a guise to pay players to come to your organization to play. After thinking on it, I don’t see how the NFL or NBA could stop fans from organizing collectives to recruit players above the salary cap.
Most groups like this would fall apart at organizing. Getting a large group of fans to trust their money in the hands of an NIL collective without somebody skimming off the top is going to keep a lot of people at bay, especially if they are not receiving a guarantee of anything at all in return.

Most people with expendable income are going to be like, "I pay enough in ticket prices. I've done my part."

You said the teams abide by rules. I’m talking the fans? Rich boosters at A&M set up the first collective, not the team. I just think a rich Fan has never organized it. SCOTUS ruling doesn’t only apply to college. I don’t believe you could stop a fanbase from buying players above the salary cap any more than you can stop it in college. The Fan collective would contact Mahomes and tell him we have an extra 20 million for your NIL in endorsements. Take what the team cap is and we will supplement the rest in contract endorsements. I really just believe NFL fans haven’t thought of it / organized it. If they did, the NFL couldn’t stop them.
Would be exactly the same scenario IMO. Great point.

Most groups like this would fall apart at organizing. Getting a large group of fans to trust their money in the hands of an NIL collective without somebody skimming off the top is going to keep a lot of people at bay, especially if they are not receiving a guarantee of anything at all in return.

Most people with expendable income are going to be like, "I pay enough in ticket prices. I've done my part."
That hasn’t happened in college. The Big Blue collective has raised one million from the simple minion fans. Reported 5 million pledged by rich boosters since Pope arrived. Beezos could organize a professional winner I bet. Musk, Gates. It just hasn’t been done. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen. All I’m saying is the NFL/ NBA would be powerless to stop it if it did. Implementation of a salary cap in college won’t stop boosters and fans from buying players under the guise of NIL. It can’t be stopped with the way the courts ruled.

That hasn’t happened in college. The Big Blue collective has raised one million from the simple minion fans. Reported 5 million pledged by rich boosters since Pope arrived. Beezos could organize a professional winner I bet. Musk, Gates. It just hasn’t been done. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen. All I’m saying is the NFL/ NBA would be powerless to stop it if it did. Implementation of a salary cap in college won’t stop boosters and fans from buying players under the guise of NIL. It can’t be stopped with the way the courts ruled.
They're not on the same scale though. An extra million isn't moving the needle for superstar pros like it would for a college basketball program with a limited number of players. It would take a lot to coordinate and organize a crowdfunding effort at the pro level, and a lot of these super rich people aren't as liquid as they would like you to think.

The super wealthy can be also be voted out by the other owners if it gets out of control like that. That's probably the only real control that they have in place though. Otherwise, all owners will just see it as fair game, and money will rule all regardless of small market vs. big market.

Also, supporting your favorite college program is a pet project for most people. You know that you will walk away with nothing but pride and the hope that you are building toward something greater in the future. With a pro franchise, a millionaire ponying up a million dollars to pay players is going to want a piece of the ownership pie as an investment. Pet project vs. investment with an actual return would make a difference. Why would a millionaire want to pay into a billionaire's pet project of buying the best players regardless of the bottom line profit?

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollCats
The definition of insanity is repeating the same things over and over and expecting a different result. The only way to have a salary cap is to make them employees and collectively bargain, but that would only take care of the collectives issue. There is no legal framework from preventing legitimate NIL income (ie signing autographs, making commercials have an Only Fans channel etc)

There is nothing that prevents any NFL player from earning outside income for NIL, but there are very strict rules for subverting the salary cap and if they can prove it, then your team is fvcked.

That is against the salary cap rules. The player couldn't be prevented from taking the money, but the team could be punished.

Great coach but an utter lack of understanding what is going on.
Oh, I think coach has a great idea. While we are at it, let's also limit the amount that can be paided to coaches. Say 5 million a year for the entire staff. If a schools want to devote the enitre 5m to the head coach, let them do it.

What do you say coach? If you are so willing to limit the compensation of players, surely you you agree we should use the same procedure to limit coaches salary.

What, you don't agree? :)

I understand that but they could put a cap on what the actual school could offer and let them sell their name and image to whoever they want, do commercials and sell whatever they want. The fans paying money for college players is bull butter in my opinion.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Oh, I think coach has a great idea. While we are at it, let's also limit the amount that can be paided to coaches. Say 5 million a year for the entire staff. If a schools want to devote the enitre 5m to the head coach, let them do it.

What do you say coach? If you are so willing to limit the compensation of players, surely you you agree we should use the same procedure to limit coaches salary.

What, you don't agree? :)
NIL can't be limited. Coaches pay is a separate issue.

I understand that but they could put a cap on what the actual school could offer and let them sell their name and image to whoever they want, do commercials and sell whatever they want. The fans paying money for college players is bull butter in my opinion.
I see your point, but that would be virtually unenforceable IMO especially in today's climate where the League officials have seemingly crawled under a rock.

I believe the challenge with the salary cap is that college athletes (football) in particular would need to unionize and have collective bargaining. That is why the NFL can have a salary cap.

Pretty sure the law says you can't restrict earnings otherwise? Could be wrong but I til that's set in place, you can't cap anything or you end up with another legal mess.

I see your point, but that would be virtually unenforceable IMO especially in today's climate where the League officials have seemingly crawled under a rock.
Yeah I’m sure you’re right about that but man I just can’t imagine fans are going to keep giving like they have after the new wears off. lol. I know im not in the category of big donor, so I can’t really speak for others, but this economy has created worried people around the country and seems like these kids don’t give a shit, don’t know or care about it. It’s just created 17-27 year old monsters. Haha. I don’t know how to fix it but unless schools get together and just say this is enough, it probably isn’t changing at all. Thanks for your input on this deeeefence! Appreciate it.

Reactions: Deeeefense

You could make them employees and restrict their outside income. You could then have a wage scale based upon depth chart/snaps/etc. You could outlaw NIL collectives that have nothing to do with NIL.

I have mentioned this before. I’m am not sure the NFL could restrict or prohibit a well-devised NIL collective to supplement player income.

Have any of you heard Spurrier lately he’s out of touch with what’s going on, he’s as bad as Biden

NIL has proven how stupid we fans are in reality. Paying high school graduates $8 million dollars to play college football is more than crazy. But paying coaches $10 million is pretty silly as well. We all have to face something that is really hard for older guys like myself - "College sports are not amateur sports anymore". In reality they haven't been for decades - we just turned our backs on it.

Why even have the players go to class anymore - or in reality do they? Its just an out and out farce. But I, and everyone else, will probably have our weekends totally controlled by college football forever!

Go Big Blue!

Since many athletic departments are independent, I suspect we could eliminate class and just have the athletic dept pay the schools for logo/marking fees and space rental and just pay the players like the NFL. Part of the salary could be school for those who wanted it, but they would have to take a pay cut and accept that as compensation.

I don't like it that college players are being bought by the highest bidder and teams are tampering with rosters left and right. I really don't have a solution for recruiting HS players. But it looks like we are heading to players being employees in the near future. When that happens players sign contracts for a given amount of time at X amount. Just like his coach does, but when/if he decides to transfer before contract is up, there is a buyout, just like the coaches.

I don't care for Hugh Freeze, but he is right on this bidding deal, the big boosters are going to get tired of coming up with money for building facilities, coaches and NIL. Some will get over it quicker than others, but fans who can't take the family of 5 to a game because with free tickes it would cost them 500$ to attend a game will get tire of coaches making 13m a year asking for money at every club meeting.

Reactions: gojvc

Go Big Blue!
“going to class” is a charade as most fans realize by now. players will eventually become employees if the nil system continues in the direction it’s headed now. “student athlete” will become a thing of the past like the rotary dial phone or three on the tree stick shift. jmdo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT