ADVERTISEMENT

Spectrum vs ESPN

Barron's thinks Disney may cave first.

"The bottom line is that Disney has more to lose. Oppenheimer estimates that this dispute alone could cost the company $4 billion in yearly free cash flow, including advertising. That could derail meaningful dividends—Disney aims to reinstate payments by the end of this year. Charter will lose subscription and advertising revenue, but also a big driver of its content costs, with a more neutral overall effect on free cash flow."

Meanwhile, some Tide fans not happy.

Reactions: DSmith21
Barron's thinks Disney may cave first.

"The bottom line is that Disney has more to lose. Oppenheimer estimates that this dispute alone could cost the company $4 billion in yearly free cash flow, including advertising. That could derail meaningful dividends—Disney aims to reinstate payments by the end of this year. Charter will lose subscription and advertising revenue, but also a big driver of its content costs, with a more neutral overall effect on free cash flow."

Meanwhile, some Tide fans not happy.

Losing $4 billion from Spectrum alone seems high.

Disney collects about $2.2 billion each year from Spectrum in affiliate fees. That would mean Disney would have to lose almost all of their advertising revenue to get to $4 billion. Spectrum is a big account for Disney (about 20% of Disney’s subscriber base), but I’m not sure Disney would lose that much of their advertising revenue from just Spectrum.

That said, I do agree that it’s possible that Disney caves first. Depending upon how many people actually cancel their Spectrum subscription, and upon how large a price increase Disney was demanding, Spectrum could end up being just fine without Disney.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Sadly the big savings of cutting the cord isn’t what it used to be.
I’ve used Sling TV the last 7 years and it’s crazy how the prices have continued to climb for the same package. When I got it, base package was 20 and sports add on (for SECN) was an additional 5. Now the base is 40 and sports is 10+. I only use it during football basketball seasons and turn off after March.

Sling went through this issue with ESPN last year, and it just resulted in higher prices.

• Sad
Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT