ADVERTISEMENT

Sources Say (Potential Returnees)

Yes, you definitely can.

In this case Apathy can mean being indifferent or just passive to any supposed “good news”. You can be apathetic or ambivalent towards the state of our program and still (deservedly) bitch about our clown of a coach.

Not sure why you’re trying to dissect the meaning of words and have a “gotcha !” moment. You know damn well what people mean when they say they’re apathetic lol.

But I guess technically speaking- ya got me!
It’s not a gotcha moment. I don’t care if you mix up words. But the majority of the fanbase is certainly not apathetic. We are pissed. Apathetic would mean we are indifferent and uncaring. I’d say we are a ways from being apathetic but a couple more shit years will get us there quick

Reactions: Doodah859
It’s not a gotcha moment. I don’t care if you mix up words. But the majority of the fanbase is certainly not apathetic. We are pissed. Apathetic would mean we are indifferent and uncaring. I’d say we are a ways from being apathetic but a couple more shit years will get us there quick
Anyone who is truly apathetic doesn’t post on this message board.

Z is intriguing.

Wagner...idk.
They are both guys we need back. Hopefully Thiero comes back with Burks and Hart joining them. We have to stop bleeding players every year. Freshman tend to get better, and I think Wagner was already an above average freshman. I think he could turn into a great sophomore. Z having a full offseason to get stronger and up to speed would do wonders for him. Thiero has already shown growth, he could easily turn into an AA with a consistent jumper. Burks showed a lot of hustle and fight. Hart never played, but he is supposed to be a very good shooter, pretty athletic and well put together. Maybe he can carve out a role. I would love to keep Reed as well, but it is sounding like that is unlikely.

Bring those 5 guys back with the 6 recruits, hopefully add an experienced transfer to replace Reeves at the 2/3.

You know the title of the video? They talked 45 minutes and didn’t answer it. A little MCDAAG talk and a lot of general roster construction conversation.

You could theorize through some DJ and Z talk that they think they might come back.
Yes, and seemed to hint more at Bradshaw and Ugonna hitting the portal.

Pilgrim had already said he only expects Wagner, Ivisic, Thiero, and Burks to come back.

Those 4 plus the 6 Freshmen make 10 players.

That leaves 3 scholarships open.

Will Cal use all 3? Will he use any? Will he use them in the portal? Will he sign more Freshmen?

It’s going to be a long offseason.

Pilgrim had already said he only expects Wagner, Ivisic, Thiero, and Burks to come back.

Those 4 plus the 6 Freshmen make 10 players.

That leaves 3 scholarships open.

Will Cal use all 3? Will he use any? Will he use them in the portal? Will he sign more Freshmen?

It’s going to be a long offseason.
I'd say 2 definitely.
A 2G and a stretch 4.
I'd assume Cal would take Cliff O. but Somto would probably walk so we would still be at 12.

I'd say 2 definitely.
A 2G and a stretch 4.
I'd assume Cal would take Cliff O. but Somto would probably walk so we would still be at 12.
Only way I see us taking Omoruyi is if all of Ivisic, Onyenso, and Bradshaw leave. If one stays, then I doubt we sign a PF or a C.

If Ivisic, Thiero, and Burks return, then the frontcourt (4 and 5 spots) is set.

PF Thiero/Burks
C Ivisic/Quaintance/Cyril

Quaintance might play some 4 as well.

Need a couple of scoring wings at the 2 and 3 spots.

That should be the primary focus in the portal.

Only way I see us taking Omoruyi is if all of Ivisic, Onyenso, and Bradshaw leave. If one stays, then I doubt we sign a PF or a C.

If Ivisic, Thiero, and Burks return, then the frontcourt (4 and 5 spots) is set.

PF Thiero/Burks
C Ivisic/Quaintance/Cyril

Quaintance might play some 4 as well.

Need a couple of scoring wings at the 2 and 3 spots.

That should be the primary focus in the portal.
Burks needs to be PF3 in my opinion. With Thiero’s injury history and reckless abandon that he plays with, having JB as the backup going into the season wouldn’t be ideal.

Not hating on JB. Was personally my favorite player that I met this year. Cal needs at least one post player that we don’t have to project what they’ll be IMO. Z, Adou, and Burks is an awful lot of hoping when other teams will pluck 3-4 year starters, conf POY’s, etc.

Players definitely improve. A sophomore Wagner would be a very good thing
All of you fans that want 4 year players but don't want Wagner who is already a lot more advanced than most freshman that you want for 4 years. Makes no sense
You can not want Wagner back and rather have one of the 10 PGs in the portal that are better. That can be a thing. It doesn't have to be DJ or another freshman.

• Haha
Reactions: BluesDaddy
You can not want Wagner back and rather have one of the 10 PGs in the portal that are better. That can be a thing. It doesn't have to be DJ or another freshman.
Preach. Every player besides Rob, Reeves, Tre, Reed (two graduating so a technicality) could easily be replaced with better/more proven players in the portal.

Goes for DJ, Adou, Z, Edwards, etc.

That does not mean the coach should force everyone out. But any returners we have there is definite risk that they don’t improve or handle their new role well.

Personally I think it’s easy to recruit over most of our freshmen coming in. But to sell someone at a similar position from the portal when there’s a returner and a freshman…much harder.

• Haha
Reactions: BluesDaddy
There's not 2/3 pg available that were better than he was last year. He will definitely improve too.
Our fans sometimes talk out of both sides of their mouths. It's ridiculous

I saw enough of Wagner last year to believe he can improve his game. I would like to see him come back. In a sane environment Edwards would be back,mystifying to me why he would want to go play in G league next year cause he isn't playing in the NBA,nor is Reed. All 3 need to come back and get stronger and work on weaknesses in their game

No matter which players come back, or what new players come in makes no difference as long as that idiot on the sideline destroying this program is back!
This! Unless we are getting another AD type player, then we might have a chance.

Obviously you don’t know much about basketball🤣. Not many fringe 200 players lead their high school team to the National Finals. Not any are MVP of the McDonald’s All American game.
"National finals"...Seriously man...He's fine. But if his dad weren't who his dad is, we all know he wouldn't be here or ranked nearly as high. I'm not saying he sucks and I'm not saying he doesn't have value. His value, on a really good team (see actual national championship contender) is a combo guard that probably plays 10-15 mins/game, defends and rebounds his butt off, and isn't nearly the ball dominant player he's been in the past. He has value, he's just been misused.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
There's not 2/3 pg available that were better than he was last year. He will definitely improve too.
Our fans sometimes talk out of both sides of their mouths. It's ridiculous
The portal is open for another month. There will certainly be 10 guards better than him there. He's just not all that good. There's a season's worth of data to prove it. He's fine if used like he should be, but we all know that won't happen.

I do K...If his name were Smith and his dad was a truck driver from Baltimore...he probably would've been a fringe top 200 kid and be playing at like Rhode Island or App St. He's just not very good.
His last name influenced his ranking and Bradshaw went along for the ride. Neither were as good as their ranking said they were. Do they have value, sure but you can't build a team around them or their talent.

Wagner playing for Cal was as much about publicity (beneficial to both) as it was about pure basketball. I submit that since Dillingham and Sheppard were what they were UK would have been better off without Wagner.

Reactions: Short-Dawg-69
His last name influenced his ranking and Bradshaw went along for the ride. Neither were as good as their ranking said they were. Do they have value, sure but you can't build a team around them or their talent.

Wagner playing for Cal was as much about publicity (beneficial to both) as it was about pure basketball. I submit that since Dillingham and Sheppard were what they were UK would have been better off without Wagner.
All that is fair. I just wish the coach would've been willing to use DJ where his value was. That was the unfortunate part for all parties.

Reactions: docholiday51
"National finals"...Seriously man...He's fine. But if his dad weren't who his dad is, we all know he wouldn't be here or ranked nearly as high. I'm not saying he sucks and I'm not saying he doesn't have value. His value, on a really good team (see actual national championship contender) is a combo guard that probably plays 10-15 mins/game, defends and rebounds his butt off, and isn't nearly the ball dominant player he's been in the past. He has value, he's just been misused.
I hope DJ stays and has offseason ankle surgery and is ready to be the player he can be. I was told his ankle was a lot worse than we were told, but continued to play to avoid any "Sharpe like" backlash. Even on a bad ankle he still made the All SEC freshman team. Add a proven shooter, a big like Omuriyi and a lockdown "3" man, to go with Adou, Z , Burks and the freshman and lets see what we got.

Reactions: catlogic15
Ok, they took down the initial glitched stream and reposted with what looks to be an additional 30 minutes. Haven't listened to the additional 30 minutes just yet but now available in the video in the initial post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT