ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Hurley has no interest

CarolinaCatsFan

Sophomore
Sep 14, 2015
From Ben Roberts —

“The 51-year-old coach was specifically asked if he intended to be back at UConn next season and if he could say that he would not be entertaining any conversations with any school that might have a job opening up the following day.

Hurley laughed out loud on the podium in Phoenix.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Hurley said, still laughing. “I don’t think that’s a concern.”

“We’re going to dive in and put together a roster that can play a comparable level of basketball to the one that you guys have witnessed the last two years,” Hurley said. “That’s, I know, what our mindset will be. We’re gonna be focusing on trying to put together a three-year run. Not just a two-year run.”

F.

See what I wrote about shenanigans in the “reality” thread. You have serious problems with reasoning if you think decisions like that are made on national TV with a microphone in your face, or if you think there was any other reasonable answer Hurley could have given in that moment regardless of his interest level….to that creepy question with nevertheless high sensationalism value.

Hurley may very well have absolutely zero interest in the Kentucky job or any other job despite the dark waters the Big East is heading into. But if he doesn’t, even if he wanted to announce that publicly, he would pick his own way and moment to do it. Let some random sidelines sportscaster dictate that way and time to him instead? Please. TBS has to make TV somehow but that doesn’t mean you need to leave your brain at the door.

(Which doesn’t mean Mitch won’t leave his brain at the door, though 😰)

We’re not going to know who was interested or how much or how little they were interested until maybe 3 months from now. You certainly aren’t going to get a straight answer after the man just won his second title in back to back runs.
FR like what do people expect lol. I have no idea if Mitch would be the dude to convince him but he better try his hardest.

First off just to be clear I’d take him in a heartbeat. At the same time though, he doesn’t seem to be real approachable. I’m not sure how’d he fare with this fan base.

I think UConn is his best fit personality wise. We just better start winning championships before he catches us.

Reactions: Fox2monk
also, if you haven't been approached, or if you have and you're still not even close to deciding

what are you going to tell a national audience?

I suspect UConn approached Hurley the moment the Kentucky news broke and told him he was going to get paid, not to worry, just focus on the game.

What you aren't going to tell a national audience is that if approached you'd be interested when you have to go back to a university and thousands of people interacting with you

I'm not saying Hurley is a viable candidate, but him saying no doesn't necessarily have to be taken at face value.

At this point the more I see of the guy the more concerned I am that he may not mesh well at Kentucky, and if you think refs were out to get Calipari , this guy is going to have a huge target on his back next year

mega conference
I’d love that man, I’m just saying what no one on the board wants to say. The way we, including myself at times, have treated this whole thing is not great at all. Two things can be true: (1) he needed to go and (2) the gifs of shutting the door in someone’s face is over the top. I hope we have fun with Mark Pope and being mid.

I’d love that man, I’m just saying what no one on the board wants to say. The way we, including myself at times, have treated this whole thing is not great at all. Two things can be true: (1) he needed to go and (2) the gifs of shutting the door in someone’s face is over the top. I hope we have fun with Mark Pope and being mid.
if it gets down to Mark Pope, then it will be a new AD that is his boss when the season starts

if it gets down to Mark Pope, then it will be a new AD that is his boss when the season starts
Well, it’s very possible that could happen. If the bulls make a run, there isn’t enough time for Donovan to recruit. It has to be Scott Drew. I’d like Golden, but too green.

Reactions: jrpross
Calipari was openly derisive toward the fanbase pretty much from the beginning. His family is a bunch of arrogant assholes, too. Why should we feel bad about it, exactly? He's made millions off sub-mediocrity, after all. Literally set some UK records for futility.

Well, it’s very possible that could happen. If the bulls make a run, there isn’t enough time for Donovan to recruit. It has to be Scott Drew. I’d like Golden, but too green.
yea, I think Donovan isn't an option , if he isn't going to commit immediately.

I was under the impression Bulls fans wanted him gone as badly as we wanted Cal gone. Looks like he doesn't see it that way

Calipari was openly derisive toward the fanbase pretty much from the beginning. His family is a bunch of arrogant assholes, too. Why should we feel bad about it, exactly? He's made millions off sub-mediocrity, after all. Literally set some UK records for futility.
I hope you’re right. I’m just it’s a possibility we take a step back. It’s a pragmatic take and I shouldn’t be excoriated for it.

From Ben Roberts —

“The 51-year-old coach was specifically asked if he intended to be back at UConn next season and if he could say that he would not be entertaining any conversations with any school that might have a job opening up the following day.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Hurley said, still laughing. “I don’t think that’s a concern.”

“We’re going to dive in and put together a roster that can play a comparable level of basketball to the one that you guys have witnessed the last two years,” Hurley said. “That’s, I know, what our mindset will be. We’re gonna be focusing on trying to put together a three-year run. Not just a two-year run.”

F.
Get a grip why would he back to back. Dudes not on the table. Beat him. Drew ain't gonna do that. Give Oats the keys

I hope you’re right. I’m just it’s a possibility we take a step back. It’s a pragmatic take and I shouldn’t be excoriated for it.
#1: Hope I'm right about what? I didn't make a prediction. I only said why our anger is justified. And that's really not even arguable at this point.
#2: Of course it's always possible that we go backward. I fear that, as well. But Calipari showed he was going absolutely nowhere at UK since 2019. Zero chance it would EVER improve. He had the best group of players he'd ever assembled (at least he wanted to claim) and look what they did. Lost to ****ing Oakland.
#3: I didn't excoriate you. Nothing I said was personal.

#1: Hope I'm right about what? I didn't make a prediction. I only said why our anger is justified. And that's really not even arguable at this point.
#2: Of course it's always possible that we go backward. I fear that, as well. But Calipari showed he was going absolutely nowhere at UK since 2019. Zero chance it would EVER improve. He had the best group of players he'd ever assembled (at least he wanted to claim) and look what they did. Lost to ****ing Oakland.
#3: I didn't excoriate you. Nothing I said was personal.
Everything you said is fair.

Everything you said is fair.
OK glad we're cool on that. I know I have had my share of bad moments on here but the truth is I don't want to fight with fellow, genuine UK fans. Trolls, sure, because that's garbage behavior and deserves garbage treatment.

OK glad we're cool on that. I know I have had my share of bad moments on here but the truth is I don't want to fight with fellow, genuine UK fans. Trolls, sure, because that's garbage behavior and deserves garbage treatment.
It’s just an unprecedented situation. The truth is that the timelines just might not work out. God forbid the Bulls make a run? Donovan is out because of no time to recruit. Oats? Confirmed out. Hurley? Confirmed out. Pearl seems like a step back. Drew is a great coach but seems like a concession, and we probably can’t even get him.

Maybe I’m crazy, but that is why I think we need to take a risk and go young. Take a chance on a guy who will rebuild this program. That’s why I liked Golden. Could it blow up in our faces? Yes. But since when do we play it safe?

It’s just an unprecedented situation. The truth is that the timelines just might not work out. God forbid the Bulls make a run? Donovan is out because of no time to recruit. Oats? Confirmed out. Hurley? Confirmed out. Pearl seems like a step back. Drew is a great coach but seems like a concession, and we probably can’t even get him.

Maybe I’m crazy, but that is why I think we need to take a risk and go young. Take a chance on a guy who will rebuild this program. That’s why I liked Golden. Could it blow up in our faces? Yes. But since when do we play it safe?
I agree with you that Golden is an interesting coaching "prospect." Of course, a couple key things here:

- Anyone with established connections like Barnhart is going to have "his guys" that he's interested in already so our opinions don't matter
- With up-and-comers you really need to see them demonstrate their plan in a detailed interview and none of us are privy to that.

So it's agonizing to just sit back and watch (and, inappropriately, since religion and sports shouldn't mix but we all sort of do it anyway, pray).

I don't believe Hurley is a confirmed No. I think he is a confirmed - I'm not about to deal with this during a championship run and any answer he gives that isn't "I'm focused on doing this again at UConn" would turn into huge distraction

yea, I think Donovan isn't an option , if he isn't going to commit immediately.

I was under the impression Bulls fans wanted him gone as badly as we wanted Cal gone. Looks like he doesn't see it that way
They do but I just don’t think Donovan wants to coach in college. The bulls aren’t bringing him back barring some miracle run. He just doesn’t want to do it.

Not surprised at all he just won his 2nd NCAA championship at UCONN. Why in the world would he leave?? If he leaves it will be with an NBA team. Let's move on from him he is golden at UCONN.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
I don't believe Hurley is a confirmed No. I think he is a confirmed - I'm not about to deal with this during a championship run and any answer he gives that isn't "I'm focused on doing this again at UConn" would turn into huge distraction
I disagree, personally. Hope of still getting him (which was never going to happen) is what is making people say these things. If there was a chance at all he would say something noncommittal like, "We just went back to back. I am living in the moment right now and not thinking about anything other than this championship." Him saying he wants to make it a three year run is entirely different.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
I disagree, personally. Hope of still getting him (which was never going to happen) is what is making people say these things. If there was a chance at all he would say something noncommittal like, "We just went back to back. I am living in the moment right now and not thinking about anything other than this championship." Him saying he wants to make it a three year run is entirely different.
If Mitch hasn't locked in on Drew, then I personally believe Hurley will be formally approached in the next 48 hours.

Will he say yes? probably not but I don't think any coach in his situation is going to say anything other than affirmation he is a UConn guy in a national championship run

If Mitch hasn't locked in on Drew, then I personally believe Hurley will be formally approached in the next 48 hours.

Will he say yes? probably not but I don't think any coach in his situation is going to say anything other than affirmation he is a UConn guy in a national championship run
I personally think you're dreaming. I hear what you are saying... But saying something as demonstrative as I want to make it a three year run... Might as well be Tebow saying let's run it back.

From Ben Roberts —

F.

I personally think you're dreaming. I hear what you are saying... But saying something as demonstrative as I want to make it a three year run... Might as well be Tebow saying let's run it back.

He IS losing quite a bit of talent on this team.. probably his 4 or 5 best players. In that regards, it kind of would be the best time to parlay this isn't a huge pay day in a football conference.

Hurley is always going to be a threat in March, but these last two years might have been his best shot to win titles.

I believe title teams are finding that almost random mix of talent, basketball IQ, and winning mentality in not only your starters, but also your bench. No guarantee he can put that together again, almost a brand new team (which wasn't the same as going into this year), and compete for a final4, let alone a title. He's going to start to draw highly talented guys, but those are also the guys who want to go to the NBA asap (he recruited Flagg).

It's not easy to sustain success in this sport. No coach has really proven they can stay at a dominant level like this, with largely different teams since.. well.. Cal in his first few years, and maybe Pitino before him. Jay Wright couldn't do it. Coach K couldn't do it. Self couldn't do it. It's just so extremely tough to build a championship roster year after year.

Look. I wanted him gone after this latest debacle. But you guys crack me up. He was openly derisive because he was under attack, and he's not a wuss little beta. You want a coach who just takes it? Most coaches are alphas who will fight back.
Face it, Kentucky is a great job, in a major conference, with a huge, passionate fanbase...who are buttholes.
We will likely have to go thru another Billy Clyde before we get a homerun hire.
All of the genius list makers, who thought we could get literally anybody we wanted are flailing and blaming now.
You don't leave first until second is open. It wasn’t. Now hope for the best with Drew or Pope. More than likely. I hope I'm wrong.
Pope does coach a pretty exciting style. Lotsa 3s.

Reactions: Canucky
Look. I wanted him gone after this latest debacle. But you guys crack me up. He was openly derisive because he was under attack, and he's not a wuss little beta. You want a coach who just takes it? Most coaches are alphas who will fight back.
Face it, Kentucky is a great job, in a major conference, with a huge, passionate fanbase...who are buttholes.
We will likely have to go thru another Billy Clyde before we get a homerun hire.
All of the genius list makers, who thought we could get literally anybody we wanted are flailing and blaming now.
You don't leave first until second is open. It wasn’t. Now hope for the best with Drew or Pope. More than likely. I hope I'm wrong.
Pope does coach a pretty exciting style. Lotsa 3s.
If the moral of the story you're telling is that everyone but you is a butthole then you're the biggest butthole of them all.

Reactions: Girthang
If the moral of the story you're telling is that everyone but you is a butthole then you're the biggest butthole of them all.
Where did I say that? I count myself as part of the fanbase. So kiss me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT