ADVERTISEMENT

So, had it come down to it, what would those three Sunday interviews have been like?

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Assuming that Barnhart would have interviewed Sumrall, White and Coen had Stoops to A & M materialized, what would the interviews have focused upon?

If it were my call, I would have had a map of the mid-west, certainly including Ohio and Pennsylvania and Michigan, and asked each of the candidates how they would continue pursuing talent from these states.

Take a gander at our two most successful periods of football. Both have a lot of names from places in Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Arguably, our best committed recruit for the future is a Junior in Pennsylvania.

I’m not saying that success cannot be had with Deep South talent, but if you have two separate periods of time with statistically significant upbeats, separated in time by 65 years, and they share strong recruiting to our immediate North, I tend to think it means something important.

1. What is Sumrall's offensive showing at Troy
2. What would White offensive scheme differ/stay the same from Stoops.
3. Coen....what would his defensive philosophy change, can he intall a tough trenches team (he appears to be a bit soft as a players coach).

Recruiting for each is a fair question. But Sumrall as a UK assistant coach and HC at Troy on paper is well beyond White and Coen in this department.

Reactions: The-Hack
First question - "How do you plan to keep Vince here?"
^^^This

He’s the biggest cog in the machine recruiting wise.

It will be interesting to see if Vince leaves when CMS retires. Think that happens in the next 4-6 years.

1. What is Sumrall's offensive showing at Troy
2. What would White offensive scheme differ/stay the same from Stoops.
3. Coen....what would his defensive philosophy change, can he intall a tough trenches team (he appears to be a bit soft as a players coach).

Recruiting for each is a fair question. But Sumrall as a UK assistant coach and HC at Troy on paper is well beyond White and Coen in this department.
I had this conversation not too long ago. The QB numbers for troy this year were pretty impressive. Sumrall definitely doesn’t seem to hold the reins too tight when it comes to the O. 3100 through the air and another 1700+ on the ground.

I fear UK will never see the day of Sumrall ever being the head guy at Kentucky. And if he does it will be towards the end of his career. It seems he can recruit and certainly coach. His days in the G5 ranks are getting fewer and some big time program will snag him for a long time.

I think summrall is for sure the best head coach option but you have to consider the total staff. Reading between the lines, it seemed like 2 key staff said no and another didn't say yes. We know Mitch engaged talks with two existing guys about taking over.

Marrow - was the one who didn't say yes. He has no connections there and really not much of an asset at the onset. Ya he could make inroads eventually but if anyone knows any Texans, they're friendly but slow to truly warm. I think he was one of the two assistants Mitch talked to about taking over. I don't think he's the best option but he isn't the worst.

White - I think he was a said no. I also think atm required he be part of the package. I think he was the other staff Mitch engaged. I think he was the worst of the three because he just doesn't have hc personality, which is fine. If you hire summrall you have to wonder if that creates a weird dynamic because white used to be the superior. At the same time, I think summrall can be DC if truly needed. He at least knows defense enough to hire another good DC.

Coen - the other atm required part of the deal who also said no. With his recent episode I don't think he wants to be a hc just yet. So I don't think Mitch even approached him.

So I think the best outcome would be summrall hc and try to keep the staff around him. I actually think that would've worked.

I fear UK will never see the day of Sumrall ever being the head guy at Kentucky. And if he does it will be towards the end of his career. It seems he can recruit and certainly coach. His days in the G5 ranks are getting fewer and some big time program will snag him for a long time.
I think Sumrall’s next step is a program at or below the level of UK. I don’t believe he will get a top level gig. That doesn’t worry me. I think there are only a dozen or so programs that he wouldn’t leave to come back to his alma mater. He’s still a little ways away from that.

Sumrall = Claiborne.2

I had this conversation not too long ago. The QB numbers for troy this year were pretty impressive. Sumrall definitely doesn’t seem to hold the reins too tight when it comes to the O. 3100 through the air and another 1700+ on the ground.
Sumrall went 12-2 (beat the UTSA guy who is heavy rumored to some big jobs) in year 1

Sumrall is 10-2 in year 2 ….close lose to James Madison’s team

His Qb as stated 3k yards 26-Td 6 int and a 1k yard rusher

But until Sumrall leaves Troy it’s going to be “but that is at Troy “. So I hope another year of Sumrall doing his thing and moving into tk B12 level job snd establishing at a better level and then be attractive when Ky jobs opens in next five years potentially

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT