ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Wagner Love Thread

He’s the worst shooter of the guards. But the best penetrator and probably the best on ball defender. You have always been sour on Wagner but when he doesn’t play, we lose. That’s just a fact. No other way around it.
The only thing I take issue with is that we always lose when he doesn’t play. No, when the entire team defense cannot stop a layup line or stay out on 3-pt shooters not named Auburn, we lose. I’m glad Wagner is back, and he gives us better defense on the opposing point guard and is a driver who can draw fouls. He also helps take the defensive pressure off our other guards. However, he’s not a good shooter and sometimes dribbles out the shot clock and takes a bad three. Hope we win all the rest of our games with him in the starting lineup.

The only thing I take issue with is that we always lose when he doesn’t play. No, when the entire team defense cannot stop a layup line or stay out on 3-pt shooters not named Auburn, we lose. I’m glad Wagner is back, and he gives us better defense on the opposing point guard and is a driver who can draw fouls. He also helps take the defensive pressure off our other guards. However, he’s not a good shooter and sometimes dribbles out the shot clock and takes a bad three. Hope we win all the rest of our games with him in the starting lineup.
Hard to ignore that over half our losses have been without him. They also happen to be our worst losses too

Wagner is our most important player. Completely different team when he on the floor and healthy.

Any coach in the country would start him.

5 years from now he’s the best pro from this team.

He plays much older than a freshman. Nothing rattles him

As he gets healthy again we get better.

I can’t wait to see how he plays in the NCAA tournament. The pressure won’t bother him. And he won’t have to deal with SEC officials.

• Haha
Reactions: bIhawk
The thing I love most about Wagner is the way he rises to the big moments. He did it again versus Auburn. He's solid and steady with the ball, he's a strong defender, and he can usually get to the rim whenever he wants. He doesn't always finish but that's another topic. There is no doubt he's a critical part of this team.

Unsung hero against Auburn. Unsung hero in all our biggest victories this year. He has fantastic energy and is ALWAYS trying to make things happen. He hits FT’s. Talks a little trash. Finishes through contact. Great handles. Vocal leader.

Should we have lost the games he missed? No. Was his absence a monumental factor in the losses? Absolutely without a doubt yes. Because he isn’t a great shooter, he fails to get credit for all the little things he does (most importantly setting the pace and tempo of the game early). Their games are a little different but he reminds me so much of Briscoe. Will miss him when he’s gone.
I love his game and it will get better. I lauded his stellar defense in the Auburn game in earlier posts--it absolutely sent two big messages, one to his teammates that they better do the same, and two, to Auburn's players that we weren't taking any of their stuff. I love his attitude, and do believe he is a huge key to our success this season. Yes, the results of those lost games without him could very well have been diffierent. Would love to see him return for a second year but have been down that path before and will save myself the disappointment. Just when these guys find a groove, they're out.

Unsung hero against Auburn. Unsung hero in all our biggest victories this year. He has fantastic energy and is ALWAYS trying to make things happen. He hits FT’s. Talks a little trash. Finishes through contact. Great handles. Vocal leader.

Should we have lost the games he missed? No. Was his absence a monumental factor in the losses? Absolutely without a doubt yes. Because he isn’t a great shooter, he fails to get credit for all the little things he does (most importantly setting the pace and tempo of the game early). Their games are a little different but he reminds me so much of Briscoe. Will miss him when he’s gone.
Decent on defense also

This Kentucky team just doesn't have enough complete players on it.
The best 5 defenders hands down is Wagner,Edwards Thiero and Ugo I'd put Reeves as 5th best.
But you will have a hard time scoring enough points with that group getting the majority of the minutes.
Reed and Rob have to play a lot of minutes and both are terrible defenders. Reed gets a pile of steals but he is awful at the other aspects of Defense.
Reed IMO is also the only true PG on the roster.
It's just not a team with complete players on it. The better defenders aren't good offensive players. And the two best scorers Sans Reeves can't play enough defense.
The thing is that Reed is not terrible. He just helps way too much. He is solid on the ball and his quick hands help when he does get beat.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Not sure what I love the most.

His 27% three-point shooting?

41% overall shooting?

73% FT shooting?

His 22% 3FG shooting since SEC play began?

His shooting 8/39 over the last six games?

Hard to choose.

Reactions: bIhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT