ADVERTISEMENT

Should we be concerned Amari Williams still testing NBA waters?

I just saw this on Facebook...

"According to Adrian Wojnarowski, new Kentucky commit Amari Williams will still go through the NBA Draft process."

I'm definitely not trying to be a Debbie Downer here. Just wondering if we should be concerned. Is this just a matter of him trying to find out what he needs to improve?
We live in a" every man seems to do what's right in their own eyes" .

Hopefully it’s more of a test the waters and determine what he needs to work on to improve his status. Was he even projected on any draft boards?

Reactions: etowncatfan

"According to Adrian Wojnarowski, new Kentucky commit Amari Williams will still go through the NBA Draft process."

I'm definitely not trying to be a Debbie Downer here. Just wondering if we should be concerned. Is this just a matter of him trying to find out what he needs to improve?
I read he is mainly going through the process to see where he stands and needs to work on. It said he was not expected to stay in the draft FWIW.

Not concerned at all.
We never had a problem with Calboys testing the draft so why worry here.
Big difference could be that Amir is testing to see what he needs to improve on...some of Calboys tested and got the info and stayed in the draft when they should have returned.

Off Topic:
I see you guys talk about sending a direct message to another poster.
I’ve never done that and don’t have a clue how to.
Any help, please?

I think, it’s possible to be concerned because of our roster depth for next season thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: IL Wildcat
We live in a" every man seems to do what's right in their own eyes" .
Yes, like the book of Judges, eh? No question about it, that's our culture today, and very often the culture of today's basketball player.

I'm hoping he's just trying to get feedback on where he needs to improve this coming season. I don't think he's on any NBA draft boards, either first or second round.

Off Topic:
I see you guys talk about sending a direct message to another poster.
I’ve never done that and don’t have a clue how to.
Any help, please?
Sure, top of screen, you should have a search icon on the far right, then an alerts icon next, 3rd from the right should open a "conversations" tab. If you click that little icon, you should get options to "start a new conversation." When you click that, you should be able to type in the name of a poster and start a private conversation with them. I hope that helps my friend. 😀

Sure, top of screen, you should have a search icon on the far right, then an alerts icon next, 3rd from the right should open a "conversations" tab. If you click that little icon, you should get options to "start a new conversation." When you click that, you should be able to type in the name of a poster and start a private conversation with them. I hope that helps my friend. 😀
Even though it wasn't directed at me, I appreciate the info, too. Just curious, when you send a message or receive one, do they show up in the same place? Thanks again! It's great to learn something new!!😃🌞😀

Yes, like the book of Judges, eh? No question about it, that's our culture today, and very often the culture of today's basketball player.

I'm hoping he's just trying to get feedback on where he needs to improve this coming season. I don't think he's on any NBA draft boards, either first or second round.
And there are so many influencers in the ears of naive and gullible young players.

Personally I think it’s most likely he’s just getting feedback and also getting in front of people.

This is honestly going to be a really interesting angle to Pope’s beginnings at UK. Can he take super talented guys that fell through the recruiting cracks and give them the system and exposure inherent to UK to turn them into draftable players? Can he take players that aren’t John Wall or Anthony Davis and help get them drafted? Because that’s what they all want.

I think one aspect of Pope that people haven’t talked enough about is, yes he has not won anything of note as a coach. He had many obstacles. But he knows what a team of champs and pros looks like.

Pope is not going to abandon recruiting guys that want to be one and done. But I think he also knows there needs to be role players and there needs to be continuity pieces. It’s just going to be more balanced and thoughtful in terms of roster building. Cal was awful at building rosters that meshed and obviously almost zero continuity.

And Pope himself was a transfer. He literally knows what it means to go from a program with low exposure to the biggest stage of college basketball. That’s a unique angle that I hope he is selling to kids.

Basically let’s just recreate the 1996 team every year for the next 15 years or so lol.

Thank you very much!

Jmo but "going through the process is usually a very specific phrase used to say this is their free evaluation but short of a shocking eval they are coming back.

3rd from the right should open a "conversations" tab. If you click that little icon, you should get options to "start a new conversation." When you click that, you should be able to type in the name of a poster and start a private conversation with them. I hope that helps my friend. 😀
Must be a paid feature.

Reactions: BlueSince92
The way you combat that is to say "I think it's great that you're testing the waters to see how you can improve. I'm testing the portal to see how I can improve in the event you get drafted".

Must be a paid feature.
Yeah when I click it all it says is I’m just a poor boy from a poor family spare me my life from this monstrosity.

When it does work, I wonder if both the sender and the receiver have to be rich preppy kids or only the sender.

I'm hoping that all of our bad luck with players went to Arky with Cal. From injuries, to ineligibility, or players just refusing to play, Cal brought bad juju to this program. I'm willing it that Pope will bring some good luck with him and start a chapter of things going right.

Two things with this…

1. It means he’s at least talented enough to try out.

2. If he indeed stays in (he won’t) UK will get someone just as talented due to the portal.

In other words, don’t sweat it, he will be a Cat💯

Reactions: Girthang
Yeah when I click it all it says is I’m just a poor boy from a poor family spare me my life from this monstrosity.

When it does work, I wonder if both the sender and the receiver have to be rich preppy kids or only the sender.
I'm stuck in Folsom Prison, so I can't even test it now. Goodbye yellow brick road.

Seems like Pope doesn't invest this time and effort, unless he is for sure coming to UK. Sounds like from several folks, he is just getting NBA feedback. I guess if some NBA team guaranteed him a first or second round pick, that could change.

That all
Personally I think it’s most likely he’s just getting feedback and also getting in front of people.

This is honestly going to be a really interesting angle to Pope’s beginnings at UK. Can he take super talented guys that fell through the recruiting cracks and give them the system and exposure inherent to UK to turn them into draftable players? Can he take players that aren’t John Wall or Anthony Davis and help get them drafted? Because that’s what they all want.

I think one aspect of Pope that people haven’t talked enough about is, yes he has not won anything of note as a coach. He had many obstacles. But he knows what a team of champs and pros looks like.

Pope is not going to abandon recruiting guys that want to be one and done. But I think he also knows there needs to be role players and there needs to be continuity pieces. It’s just going to be more balanced and thoughtful in terms of roster building. Cal was awful at building rosters that meshed and obviously almost zero continuity.

And Pope himself was a transfer. He literally knows what it means to go from a program with low exposure to the biggest stage of college basketball. That’s a unique angle that I hope he is selling to kids.

Basically let’s just recreate the 1996 team every year for the next 15 years or so lol.
Sounds good and, we all want to believe what you say. The proof is, we don't know what Pope actually knows, what he prioritizes or how he is going to put a team together. We all want him to succeed but in almost every post, it is assumed he will be great at putting a team together and that his depth of knowledge will prevail. I read this board the night he was hired. The board,at least a large vocal section, was livid at this hire. I am going to have my hopes up about this hire. I also know that while we haven't won an NCAA tournament game in about 5 years. Pope has never won one. Best wishes Mark but the gig at UK is not as easy as the underachieving AD going vastly overboard on a pep rally to sell his latest hire. Best wishes.

You can be concerned if you choose to be. Anyone can. I wouldn't expect anything to be guaranteed at this point other than him not attending a different school if he opts out of the draft.

Just read Aaron Bracy, I think is his name? talking about Williams. He has covered Philadelphia sports for a long time and has seen Williams play several times. He said he knows he is going to a higher level in the SEC. But he said that Williams will bring a dominating physical presence on the D end. He said that he has the timing to block shots, athletic and does not foul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT