ADVERTISEMENT

Should Lakers trade Randle if they sign Love?

Why would the Lakers do that if they could just sign Love as a free agent without giving up anything?
It's a way for the player to get more money and the team he plays for to get something for him as oppose to just losing him. Of course, LA could say no thanks, but they have money to spend and I doubt that single aspect would turn them off.

If LA really wants Love then he and Cleveland hold the cards. Love can get paid more by doing a sign and trade than he can't get strait up from LA.

And you dont draft 7th overall for a backup

Ben McLemore was the 7th pick. So was Corey Brewer. Randy Foye.

Being picked 7th doesn't automatically lock you in to a starring role.

That being said, no shame whatsoever in coming off the bench, if that's what's called for. Lots of great players have spent at least parts of their careers coming off the bench.

Ben McLemore was the 7th pick. So was Corey Brewer. Randy Foye.

Being picked 7th doesn't automatically lock you in to a starring role.

That being said, no shame whatsoever in coming off the bench, if that's what's called for. Lots of great players have spent at least parts of their careers coming off the bench.

to be exact, you can be drafted anywhere and be benched... At the end of the day, you have to perform.

I could easily see Randle maintaining starting role just because his energy to get rebounds.

to be exact, you can be drafted anywhere and be benched... At the end of the day, you have to perform.

I could easily see Randle maintaining starting role just because his energy to get rebounds.

People are reading way too much into this starter/backup deal.

Randle will either start or play starter minutes, as long as he is healthy. But he isn't so great today that you pass on a guy like Aldridge if available. Love may be a different story.

Cleveland would love it. They might even steal a title this year, and essentially break even giving away Wiggins but getting Okafor/Towns. They have proven they don't need Love, especially with the match-ups falling their way.

Man, too bad the Lakers didn't have a Crystal Ball into the future. If they knew they were getting Love, along with already having Randle, they could offer up the 2nd pick, and get some draft assets for the next year or two.

Then again, I always feel you should draft the best available, whether he fits or not. I never understand why teams don't do this. If he doesn't fit, then offer him up to a team who needs that player. Grab Okafor at the 2 spot, and then see what PG's you can get. Bledsoe? Would they straight-up? I feel you should always go with the highest value pick.
If I were the Lakers and wanted to put a winner on the field, I would use the money to get Love, Draft KAT, or Okafor at center and have Julius Randle for depth.... Maybe I would trade Julius Randle for the right to get Trey Lyles... I would trade my late first round pick and my high second round pick and get Booker...... Then I would trade and get a certain point guard from Dallas.... That would be my team.....
Kat-Ofafor
Kevin Love
Trey Lyles
Devin Booker
Rajon Rondo

This would be a young team, but with Kobe playing another year, Love and Rondo, you have enough veterans to bring the young ones on..... The Lakers would be pushing the West again....

Last edited:
Maybe the Cavs do a sign and trade of Love and Randle ends up playing for the Cavs.
Why would the Lakers do that if they could just sign Love as a free agent without giving up anything?
Because the Lakers have zero leverage in this situation and Love could say that it is the only way that he's leaving Cleveland. It gives him more years and more money. Why would Love do the Lakers a favor and take less money for less years when he knows the Lakers really want him bad?

Love ain't going to the Lakers
I tend to agree with you. He can make max money in Cleveland and he is on a team that is missing two of it's three best players and is STILL good enough to make the NBA Finals and possibly win it all. I would think that Love would believe that adding himself to the mix and getting Irving healthy makes them a major favorite to win it all for the foreseeable future.

I have no idea what Love is thinking. I'm not positive Cleveland will make him a max guy at this point. I'm sure there are teams that will, especially with the cap about to explode.

As a Laker fan, I'm not sold on him, but if that's what they want to do I'll cheer him on.

I have been hearing all these scenarios involving the Lakers with their #2 pick and potential free agent acquisitions. For a few years now, the speculation has been that they would sign Kevin Love. Love is saying all the right things like he is "committed to Cleveland" and whatnot, but as a former UCLA product and west coast guy, Love appears to be a fit for the Lakers.

Ultimately, the Lakers are going to come out of this draft with either Towns or Okafor. Towns is the best fit because of his defensive ability in a frontcourt combo with either Randle or Love. But if the Lakers actually do sign Love, then it would probably be in Julius' best interest if they trade him so that he can start somewhere else instead of being overshadowed by Love; and it would probably also be in the Lakers' best interest to receive another starting need in return.

Personally, I would love to see the Lakers swap picks with the Timberwolves. Something along the lines of #1 and Zach LaVine or Shabazz Muhammad (also UCLA products) for #2 and Julius Randle. The Lakers also have a lower first-round pick and a high-second rounder this year, which could be used in a potential Okafor for Towns swap. I could see them coming out of this draft with Andrew Harrison as their second round pick, but who knows?

Depending on how you view Rondo, an even better situation for the Lakers could be if they signed Love and Rondo, and then traded Randle for Justice Winslow. This would give them a team of Rondo, Kobe, Winslow, Love, and Towns/Okafor. That is a championship team with healthy bodies and the proper supporting cast.

This is all speculation based on if they signed Love. If they don't sign Love, then yes, Randle should be in position to become a star for that team, and I would love to see an all UK frontcourt for one of the most storied franchises in one of the biggest markets. But what makes the most sense for the Lakers in potentially Kobe's final season?
The lineup you suggested is not even a playoff squad in the West. I'm a die hard Lakers fan and it's going to take a little more than that for them to get back to showtime. Winslow and Towns/Okafor are not going to come in and do work instantly no matter where they land. Just my opinion.

I disagree with whoever said that Kat, or Okafor wouldn't make an impact.... I can see them making an impact like Davis, maybe not as much, but they both will be franchise players....

If I were the Lakers and wanted to put a winner on the field, I would use the money to get Love, Draft KAT, or Okafor at center and have Julius Randle for depth.... Maybe I would trade Julius Randle for the right to get Trey Lyles... I would trade my late first round pick and my high second round pick and get Booker...... Then I would trade and get a certain point guard from Dallas.... That would be my team.....
Kat-Ofafor
Kevin Love
Trey Lyles
Devin Booker
Rajon Rondo

This would be a young team, but with Kobe playing another year, Love and Rondo, you have enough veterans to bring the young ones on..... The Lakers would be pushing the West again....

This entire post is laughable.

Kat-Ofafor
Kevin Love
Trey Lyles
Devin Booker
Rajon Rondo

Why would they trade Lyles for Randle? They're basically going to be the same type of player. Booker isn't worth two picks, and I wouldn't touch Rondo after this past year.

Why would they trade Lyles for Randle? They're basically going to be the same type of player. Booker isn't worth two picks, and I wouldn't touch Rondo after this past year.
They wouldn't.... I said "I" would trade Randle to draft Lyles.... Randle and Lyles are not going to be the same kind of player? That is laughable.....

This entire post is laughable.
This post is laughable....
Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif

They wouldn't.... I said "I" would trade Randle to draft Lyles.... Randle and Lyles are not going to be the same kind of player? That is laughable.....
They are both going to be pf's that play primarily away from the basket. Lyles is not an NBA small forward.

I hate the Lakers so I hope they trade Randle and the #2 pick to the Knicks for Carmelo and the Knicks' #4 pick. That's the rumor that has been going around the east coast in the last week or so.

They are both going to be pf's that play primarily away from the basket. Lyles is not an NBA small forward.
Randle will not be playing away from the basket.... Randle is between a PF/SF, but Lyles will be able to play a legit small forward, and once he builds up, he can go inside too, but not against the power forwards, not yet....

I hate the Lakers so I hope they trade Randle and the #2 pick to the Knicks for Carmelo and the Knicks' #4 pick. That's the rumor that has been going around the east coast in the last week or so.

Well I like the Lakers and that sounds like a pretty dumb rumor.

Math doesn't work, for starters. Even if it did, I don't think an aging Melo with balky knees is who you mortgage your future on.

But I can see why the east coast would like it.

Randle will not be playing away from the basket.... Randle is between a PF/SF, but Lyles will be able to play a legit small forward, and once he builds up, he can go inside too, but not against the power forwards, not yet....
They will both be face up 4's.

If they play in the NBA, they'll be face up forwards..... Randle is too small to back a power forward up, and can't shoot good enough to be a full time small forward.... Lyles can be both, he can play out to the three, and go inside, especially when he picks up some age and weight.... Randle should practice on going both ways, and he will be hard to stay with.... He reminds me of a Tasmanian Devil...... If he only goes one way and plays power forward, he won't be near as affective.... I hope they both are the best at what they do...

Lyles was a terrible three point shooter and doesn't have the handle. The only reason we played him on the wing was because we had too many front court bodies. Otherwise he would have started at the 4. If they both develop into the players they can be, they will be similar to guys like David West or Paul Millsap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT