ADVERTISEMENT

Shocked that UK is not looking to close well in recruiting

Feb 1, 2006
I thought that when UK had 7 guys announce for the draft that UK would pick up 3 of the remaining top recruits in April. UK has signed several players in April since Cal has been here, must be an odd year. There is playing time available and you would think some of these guys like Zimmerman, Newman, Brown, and Ingram would jump for the chance. I still think this team is top 10 material and it won't be a repeat of 2013 but if UK could get 2 more top level guys then UK would be looking at top 3 preseason. The 5th year guy from Charlotte would be a good pickup and add some size but UK really needs another shooter and if they lose out on Newman they really need Brandon Ingram or Jamal Murray.

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:
This was a needed extra thread since there were only about 15-20 on the first page of Rafters discussing, in much more detail, the end stages of 2015 recruiting.
Trolls gotta troll.

Yes I know this issue has been discussed in similar ways but still saw the need to post a new one.. ha ha. The more I think about the current roster I'm getting worried about the lack of scorers. Ulis is a great point guard but doesn't look to score first and the same appears to be the case with Briscoe. Matthews appears to be a solid defender and good athlete but not the type to create his own shot or light it up from deep. Maybe Poythress will add more to his game and can be the type to get 15+ points consistently. Skal should be able to step in and get his own shot and provide the team the scoring threat they need from the bigs but they're going to need more. It's a good thing next year appears to be a down year and UK should be in the hunt for another final 4, but 1 or 2 more elite guys would lessen the worrying. I'm sure Cal has a plan and is going to pull something out late.
This post was edited on 4/14 1:40 PM by ukwild#41

Do the announcers not have till May 17 to withdraw from the draft if they haven't signed with an agent? I know a few have agents already. Maybe a few are waiting on this? help me out here.

Why would anyone be shocked? It's the same thing every year. It's always doom and gloom with "sources" picking other schools until UK pulls off the impossible and lands their targets.

I just wonder when UK fans will stop falling for the misdirection considering it happens every year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

i have heard of all the 7 uk players signing with agents already except karl and booker

Originally posted by KDcats11:
Why would anyone be shocked? It's the same thing every year. It's always doom and gloom with "sources" picking other schools until UK pulls off the impossible and lands their targets.

I just wonder when UK fans will stop falling for the misdirection considering it happens every year.
I wanna be confident, but this has a different feel to it. I think it's a real possibility we get none of the remaining big targets.

i refuse to believe it unitl they are all off the board. there is just too much playing time to offer from cal right now.

It might be a different feel to you, but there's been absolutely nothing of substance about any of these guys thaybwould suggest they won't come to UK. It's misdirection as it's finest. Only people who really know where these kids are going are the kids themselves and their families.

Originally posted by 3rex:

Some of them probably don't like stall ball.
And the troll strikes again...adding nothing to the thread.

And UK runs a much faster offense than what Howland and MSU do (rumor to where Newman may go) and much faster than UNLV (where Zimmerman will go if not UK). So your post looks even more idiotic than it already did...which is hard to do but I just helped you out.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

And UK runs a much faster offense than what Howland and MSU do (rumor to where Newman may go) and much faster than UNLV (where Zimmerman will go if not UK). So your post looks even more idiotic than it already did...which is hard to do but I just helped you out.
how fast did we run the last 5 minutes of the final four loss?

Originally posted by z71sab:
i refuse to believe it unitl they are all off the board. there is just too much playing time to offer from cal right now.
Cal doesn't offer playing time, starting positions or minutes - he, and his players, have said this over and over from day one (7 years running), too bad our fans don't pay attention.

This post was edited on 4/14 2:57 PM by ZZBlueComet

Originally posted by ZZBlueComet:
Originally posted by z71sab:
Cal doesn't offer playing time, starting positions or minutes - he, and his players, have said this over and over from day one (7 years running), too bad our fans don't pay attention.

This post was edited on 4/14 2:57 PM by ZZBlueComet
You are right about Cal but it still remains that these kids can see there is a lot of playing time available for top recruits who come in and work for it. And, they also get the attention thrown on them of playing at UK. Plus, being in the Final Four as frequently as we are should draw these kids to play for Cal.

ORCAT is right, PT is the massive elephant in the room and it always (or usually) has been since Cal has been here. You don't need to sell kids on PT if there is an obvious need for it.

how fast did we run the last 5 minutes of the final four loss?
faster than 344 other teams

Originally posted by Starship Seven:
What is the final day to sign? Im ready for this crap to be over with.
start of classes in the fall i guess. its when they need to report.

maybe you shouldnt follow this stuff since its crap to you. for these kids, its a huge, life changing decision. your role is mostly irrelevant

Maybe some of these players want to decide on their own when they are going to leave, instead of being encouraged to go, READY OR NOT!

Lots of incredibly stupid posts on this thread.

Cal loses one game and the haters and the posers decide it's open season on him.

rolleyes.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Graves51:

Maybe some of these players want to decide on their own when they are going to leave, instead of being encouraged to go, READY OR NOT!
This is a really stupid post. Sounds like something a rival fan would say. They players are not encouraged to go, they are given information and have the freedom to make whatever decision they make.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

Originally posted by KDcats11:

I wanna be confident, but this has a different feel to it. I think it's a real possibility we get none of the remaining big targets.
truthfully, this is the beginning of the end. for a while, cal had an arbitrage opportunity when it came to one and done recruits. however, his success has spurred other coaches to adopt similar methods. coach k is the second person show proof principle that teams can be built around freshman.

however, coaches are strategists. i am sure cal will adapt his methods (not necessarily limited to recruiting) to keep us in the mix for a national title each year. don't worry, we will be okay. a 2011-like year is coming up for us in 2016--not too shabby if we get another final four...

And UK runs a much faster offense than what Howland and MSU do (rumor to where Newman may go) and much faster than UNLV (where Zimmerman will go if not UK).
Not even remotely true. This past year, UK's tempo was #253 in KenPom and UNLV was #138. Howland's last team at UCLA was #30.

In fact, Kentucky ran a slower offense statistically this past year than any of Tubby's UK teams.

So Kentucky -- at least based on the most recent numbers -- is a lot slower than those other two teams.

People keep saying there is a lot of playing time, and there really isn't unless Cal wants to platoon again.

Ulis-PG
Briscoe-PG/2G
AP-one of the forward positions
Lee-forward
Skal-forward
Matthews-2g
Willis and Hawkins-can play ball if needed (Jorts!)

So maybe Zimmerman doesn't see himself beating out Lee and Skal for many minutes.
Newman is the only one that I think we have been high on he and he high on us who could have minutes.

Brown and Ingram I don't think have been that high on us all along and Diello we only got in on him due to Slice.

The hand wringing of some of people on here is hilarious. And ones questioning Cal are just morons. His recruiting and his record speak for themselves. These are the glory days of UK basketball. If you aren't happy during this run, you seriously need to stop following UK basketball. Because it will never be like this again once Cal leaves. Ever.

Originally posted by MSU129:
People keep saying there is a lot of playing time, and there really isn't unless Cal wants to platoon again.

Ulis-PG
Briscoe-PG/2G
Lee-forward
Skal-forward
Matthews-2g

So maybe Zimmerman doesn't see himself beating out Lee and Skal for many minutes.
Newman is the only one that I think we have been high on he and he high on us who could have minutes.

Brown and Ingram I don't think have been that high on us all along and Diello we only got in on him due to Slice.
Any of the remaining 5-stars would get minutes ahead of Lee, Willis, Hawkins and Matthews.

If (big if) Cal strikes out it would be a total shock. Just doesn't make sense that all these kids have waited this long to see who left and then would choose other places. Would be weird.

But, people have said this class is somewhat odd. I thought the people on here guaranteeing Cal got three or four of the top guys were (and still are) insane. I was and am hoping Cal can get at least one more (Newman) and hopefully two more guys.

Originally posted by BostonCat2001:

Originally posted by Starship Seven:
What is the final day to sign? Im ready for this crap to be over with.
start of classes in the fall i guess. its when they need to report.

maybe you shouldnt follow this stuff since its crap to you. for these kids, its a huge, life changing decision. your role is mostly irrelevant

Dramatic much? By crap I mean all the posts about how were bound to miss on all the recruits. People are acting like the sky is falling. Sorry you took what I said out of context...

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

Originally posted by MSU129:

Ulis-PG
Briscoe-PG/2G
Lee-forward
Skal-forward
Matthews-2g

Any of the remaining 5-stars would get minutes ahead of Lee, Willis, Hawkins and Matthews.
Not so sure on Lee. He has potential to be really good given the minutes. Don't sleep on him.

Hawkins is a good defender, but I agree.

Matthews is a question mark.

No argument on Willis. I like Derek, but the remaining 5-stars are better no question.

Originally posted by ukwild#41:
Yes I know this issue has been discussed in similar ways but still saw the need to post a new one.. ha ha. The more I think about the current roster I'm getting worried about the lack of scorers. Ulis is a great point guard but doesn't look to score first and the same appears to be the case with Briscoe. Matthews appears to be a solid defender and good athlete but not the type to create his own shot or light it up from deep. Maybe Poythress will add more to his game and can be the type to get 15+ points consistently. Skal should be able to step in and get his own shot and provide the team the scoring threat they need from the bigs but they're going to need more. It's a good thing next year appears to be a down year and UK should be in the hunt for another final 4, but 1 or 2 more elite guys would lessen the worrying. I'm sure Cal has a plan and is going to pull something out late.
This post was edited on 4/14 1:40 PM by ukwild#41
When we set this guy to 'Ignore', does that eliminate his stupid posts as well as his 'Woe and Doom' comments?? Is there NO ONE who lives close to him that owns a ball bat?

When you have seven starters leave Kentucky in the final hour,you should expect recruiting to be a little tough.

Ulis averaged under 10 points per 40 minutes of play so I will be surprised if he is ever a big scorer. Most players stay about the same as far as points per 40 with only mild increases in scoring productivity over the course of their careers. Some like Poythress, Lee and Willis actually go down in points per 40 minutes each year. We really need them to reverse that trend next season. Going off memory here, Poythress averaged over 17 pp40 as a freshman and was down to 10 or 12 this season before the injury.

This post was edited on 4/15 5:54 AM by sillygoose12

Originally posted by deplion:

Cal loses one game and the haters and the posers decide it's open season on him.

rolleyes.r191677.gif
I totally agree with you Dep.

Originally posted by deplion:

rolleyes.r191677.gif
It is amazing. 4 Final Fours in 5 years, yet, there are still doubters.

Guess folks have really forgotten about all the 10+ loss seasons. Guess folks have forgotten how elated we were with 20 win seasons.

I kind of like winning 30+ games. Having great recruiting classes and in the hunt for the NC each year.

Relax.......when the season starts.......we will be ready!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT