ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard's Defense

Sometimes players are who they are. He is a highly intelligent basketball player, with a basketball pedigree. Probably was born with a mini basketball in his hands.

And, he's not good at defense. It's just not part of his game. He doesn't seem to even understand some of the basics of it, which is odd for a player like him.

I definitely noticed it. He got totally abused in the second half even before his brain cramp that allowed the game to go to OT. I’m just not sure he’s quite quick enough to stay in front of a lot of SEC guards in a pure man-to-man scheme, which is a problem when that’s literally all we play.

It was all Reed ball watching to send the game iknto overtime.....how can you be that far below 3pt line when up 3 less than 10 seconds....and you're man is hte best 3pt shooter for Florida.

His man got 7 made 3pters....truly terrible D by Shep

It looks great with the numbers far as steals and blocks. He is probably the worst on ball defender on this team after watching that game!
I've seen film on him. That's why I don't want him in as a starter. He an dillingham are very effective off the bench. Also Mitchell has looked really bad on film. Both Defense and rebounding! They breakdown I watch was around 1st week in January.

Cal has crazy talent. But no complete guy.
So he needs to figure out a sub pattern and win with it. I hope he surprises me, but I'm convinced he doesn't have it in him.

This is dumb as f***... Reed scored more than his opponent. it wasnt Reed who lost us the game...... it was cal for having reed inbounds a damn ball instead of calling a timeout to have Mitchell or Dill inbounds it so Reed or Reeves could be shooting FT's.

this loss is on Cal ........ his team, his teaching and coaching all season. if players keep making undisciplined plays..... at this point in the season that is always on the coach .

So ask yourself why in the hell was he guarding Clayton or Pullen ? Answer that? Reeves is best on ball defender according to the genius on sideline Dilly take the other
Mitchell sucks on both ends he’s horrible as a 4 man hasn’t been worth a damn since he quit playing the 5.
Try zone cal it can’t be worse

Dilly and Reed refuse to stay with their own guy even after getting lit up, torched. If you can't guard your own guy why go help on another. They also need to be coached to stay on the ground and stop jumping at every fake. Of course, the coaching is not going to happen.
If they’re both playing help it must be what Cal wants them to do.

If you can’t play 3 point defense in today’s game, you suck. Reed Shepard sucks on defense and unless he hits every shot when he plays against a good team, he becomes a liability. That’s the truth. As far as I can see these kids play like freshman and are just not tough enough to face any adversity in any game they play. Any change to the lineup affects the entire team. They play like Rupp is an away court.

Sometimes players are who they are. He is a highly intelligent basketball player, with a basketball pedigree. Probably was born with a mini basketball in his hands.

And, he's not good at defense. It's just not part of his game. He doesn't seem to even understand some of the basics of it, which is odd for a player like him.
Where have Jeff and Stacey been lately? They ask to stop being shown on tv?

I’m here to break it to you guys but ALL of the guards. All of them are horrible at Defense. Wagner/Reeves/Dilly/Shep.

I haven’t seen any improvement on D as the season has gone on. Makes you wonder wtf they are practicing
Probably stupid dance moves, small ball gestures, how to fall down on every layup.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That’s by guys that don’t know basketball. Look how many games we have played and Reed still goes for every shot fake. Unreal.
That's the part that leads me to believe that (a) he's not really that high IQ of a player or (b) doesn't have the discipline to improve his game.

I’m here to break it to you guys but ALL of the guards. All of them are horrible at Defense. Wagner/Reeves/Dilly/Shep.

I haven’t seen any improvement on D as the season has gone on. Makes you wonder wtf they are practicing
This this this. The only improvement I have noticed and it is very very minor at that is that the defensive rotations have improved a little. Outside of that what in the world do they do at practice? Do they even break down film and watch it? Do the coaches even make any corrections?

He outscored his position. Blame someone else. He played 40
Multiple people(so not replying to just you) have brought this up and I’m not sure it’s actually true. He got torched by both Clayton and Pullin.

I don’t expect a 6’2 guard that isn’t very thick, isn’t very quick, and isn’t very long to be a good defender. But tonight was just awful.

Let me make clear I’m a huge fan of Reed. Think he’s right on the Kyle Guy/Ty Jerome track and even ahead of schedule. But he’s not ready for 45 minutes of SEC ball and shouldn’t have to be. Our bigs not being capable and multiple other injuries tonight put him in an unfair position.

Multiple people(so not replying to just you) have brought this up and I’m not sure it’s actually true. He got torched by both Clayton and Pullin.

I don’t expect a 6’2 guard that isn’t very thick, isn’t very quick, and isn’t very long to be a good defender. But tonight was just awful.

Let me make clear I’m a huge fan of Reed. Think he’s right on the Kyle Guy/Ty Jerome track and even ahead of schedule. But he’s not ready for 45 minutes of SEC ball and shouldn’t have to be. Our bigs not being capable and multiple other injuries tonight put him in an unfair position.
He needs to build his body up like Aaron Craft. Adding muscle will help with his explosiveness and allow him more strength to keep his man in front of him.

He needs to build his body up like Aaron Craft. Adding muscle will help with his explosiveness and allow him more strength to keep his man in front of him.
It’s funny you brought him up because I did think of him! But admittedly more the exception than the rule. Filling out will help him against guys like Pullin tonight.

The multiple injuries is another overlooked thing that killed us. Not only have our rotations already been a mess.. but then tonight you lose your starting PG, and your SF. And while Edwards has been bad, the team was still used to how he played. And then you lose Thiero, what, early in the 2nd? Finally Dilly goes down with cramps with 5 left and players almost NEVER come back 100% once they cramp up (and I think it was clear as I don't believe he hit another shot)..

So we go down 4 guys, on a team that already can't get any roster flow going. That's a far bigger hurdle than anyone is letting onto. Teams just aren't going to win against tough conference opponents like this.

For reference. December 20th, Uconn was down by like 4 to Seton Hall early in the 2nd half, when Clingan went out with an injury.. Seton hall then wins soundly by 15. Just ONE missing guy for Uconn, likely meant the difference between winning that game and losing it.

We were missing 4.

You can't win games when you lose that much production.

It was all Reed ball watching to send the game iknto overtime.....how can you be that far below 3pt line when up 3 less than 10 seconds....and you're man is hte best 3pt shooter for Florida.

His man got 7 made 3pters....truly terrible D by Shep

The multiple injuries is another overlooked thing that killed us. Not only have our rotations already been a mess.. but then tonight you lose your starting PG, and your SF. And while Edwards has been bad, the team was still used to how he played. And then you lose Thiero, what, early in the 2nd? Finally Dilly goes down with cramps with 5 left and players almost NEVER come back 100% once they cramp up (and I think it was clear as I don't believe he hit another shot)..

So we go down 4 guys, on a team that already can't get any roster flow going. That's a far bigger hurdle than anyone is letting onto. Teams just aren't going to win against tough conference opponents like this.

For reference. December 20th, Uconn was down by like 4 to Seton Hall early in the 2nd half, when Clingan went out with an injury.. Seton hall then wins soundly by 15. Just ONE missing guy for Uconn, likely meant the difference between winning that game and losing it.

We were missing 4.

That’s wild assed Defense at the D1 level. It’s what I do at the YMCA and I’m, uhm, not 20. Or 30. Or 40.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Great defensive teams have poor individual defenders all the time in the lineup. That's because defense isn't 5 1v1's. Defending is a team activity. Our players look like poor individual defenders constantly because they are so often put in losing situations. This has been the case for each of the last 5 seasons. There is something fundamentally broken with how we approach defending.

Tonight wasn't the only boneheaded lapse in his defense. He also stupidly fouled a 3 point shooter a couple weeks back near the buzzer in a 4 point game. I don't care how many points you score if you have your head up your ass in an end-game scenario.

You're up 3. Who gaf if they get a layup. Just don't give them a wide open 3 or foul them. FFS, you don't need your HC(especially since he has his head up his ass too) to tell you a 2 can't beat you if you are up 3. A 1st grade basketball team could do the math.

Reactions: IIIBradIII

We were missing 4.

I don't want to make excuses, but if this team had been full strength since even the beginning of the calendar year rotations would be figured out and things would be going so much smoother. Bradshaw played 9 minutes today and Edwards 9 last game, I don't buy the argument that Cal would still be playing mostly the five star guys because of their draft prospects or recruiting stars or any other nonsense.

If this team had been healthy we'd have a pretty set rotation of guys who were most productive come this point in the year. And as we saw against South Carolina that's probably with Reed running the point most of the time. And tonight proved how much DJ needs to be available to take the point for 10-15 minutes a game for Reed to get some breathers.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
It's just not Sheppard. It's a by product of AAU basketball. Your 5star and high 4 star kids play in these circuits year long. Not much defense is played. Fundamental play is replaced with showboating and one on one play. It's frustrating because you see Sheppard has the tools to be a great defender, and has shown the high basketball IQ to go with his size, fast hands, athletic ability . Seems to be a by product of Cals defense, as Sheppard has not been the only guard that allows 3 point shooters to be wide open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT