ADVERTISEMENT

"SGA most unlikely NBA superstar in 15 years" per Bill Simmons

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
SIAP but thought it was an interesting article. Right here

Likens him to a cougar or panther, leaving most thinking about his next move.

“I think he is the most unlikely NBA superstar we’ve had in 15 years. I don’t know anything about the dude. He doesn’t do interviews. He’s not a big social media guy. He’s just atypical with all these other dudes you have so much knowledge about every piece about them. He’s just like this mystery dude that just comes in and takes on all the other guys.”

I watched him in St. Louis at the SEC Tournament finals against Tennessee and he was AMAZING.

It was unreal how he got to his spots anytime he wanted and drilled the pull ups. UT didn’t have an answer and neither did anyone else at the end of that season.

Even seeing that I have to admit he has far surpassed what I thought he would be in the NBA and I’m so happy for him.

First class young man!

The great advantage the offense has in basketball is initiative. SGA can dribble so well that he keeps the initiative. Most players play by rote: full speed ahead. They know where they're going and try to beat the defender there. SGA knows where he wants to go and gets the defender to leave it.

Jokic is a good choice. He has the same poise that SGA has, and he also has imagination and memory. He remembers where players are and can imagine where they need to go. His beautiful passing takes advantage of that.

SIAP but thought it was an interesting article. Right here

Likens him to a cougar or panther, leaving most thinking about his next move.

“I think he is the most unlikely NBA superstar we’ve had in 15 years. I don’t know anything about the dude. He doesn’t do interviews. He’s not a big social media guy. He’s just atypical with all these other dudes you have so much knowledge about every piece about them. He’s just like this mystery dude that just comes in and takes on all the other guys.”
Works hard in the gym and keeps his head down when he’s not playing. The kind of player every coach wants.

I’d say Jokic
Jokic and SGA are defying all the laws of the NBA universe. Neither are super athletic. Neither are super skilled when it comes to shooting threes (both hover slightly under 35%). And yet, both are immensely skilled in other ways that make them unicorns.

I actually like the types of superstars that are developing in the modern NBA. I'm tired of the freakish athletes like Durant and LeBron, and I'm eagerly awaiting their retirements so that this new era of the NBA can get fully underway.

He was a complete afterthought in that recruiting class.
He played in an all star game and was the best player on the court. But it wasn’t the McD or Jordan games so I thought that he did it against lesser talent.

Then he got to UK and he was so smooth, it looked slow. And he was the best player on that team.

And I thought, nice college player but he’ll never get those shots off in the NBA. Boy was I ever wrong. May be the most wrong I’ve ever been about a player.

Great job SGA!

I often what he would have done as a soph. Man, that 2019 team would have been tough.
Imagine how great out teams would have been had we had multiple guys get a year 2. I know Cal has had a ton of talent but we also never get to see it really developed much. Only Terrance Jones really and he helped lead us to a title. Ulis was another and he was SEC POY but he wasn’t in that talent level like a wall, Fox, Monk, Bam, Randle, etc.

Imagine how great out teams would have been had we had multiple guys get a year 2. I know Cal has had a ton of talent but we also never get to see it really developed much. Only Terrance Jones really and he helped lead us to a title. Ulis was another and he was SEC POY but he wasn’t in that talent level like a wall, Fox, Monk, Bam, Randle, etc.
I think about this all the time and envy the college football model. Not for the players’ sake, but for my own selfish reasons. We would probably have 2-3 more titles, at least, if we had been able to keep players for three years as in CFB.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
He played in an all star game and was the best player on the court. But it wasn’t the McD or Jordan games so I thought that he did it against lesser talent.

Then he got to UK and he was so smooth, it looked slow. And he was the best player on that team.

And I thought, nice college player but he’ll never get those shots off in the NBA. Boy was I ever wrong. May be the most wrong I’ve ever been about a player.

Great job SGA!

I went to that derby classic that year and told people he was a monster. I said mid first rounder after that but i never thought he’d be best point guard in the league good.

But yeah he was head and shoulders better than everyone else at that derby game. dude wasn’t even breaking a sweat and dominating. And competition wasn’t as strong as macdonald’s, jordan brand, hoops summit but it wasn’t terrible.

I’ll bring it up again. SGA and Murray back court in the olympics is going to be must see basketball. Those guys are going to cook anyone the other team throws out there. Who for team USA is going to defend that.

If USA starts Steph Curry opposite either of those guys they’re starting the game in a hole.

Cavs were offered SGA a couple years ago in trade. The offer was SGA and the 6th pick for the Cavs 3rd pick and the Cavs passed and took Mobley.
That’s why the Cavs, are the Cavs. The got lucky with Lebron, outside that they are crap. Decent team now but not enough to get them anywhere.

Reactions: bigbluelou
I’ll bring it up again. SGA and Murray back court in the olympics is going to be must see basketball. Those guys are going to cook anyone the other team throws out there. Who for team USA is going to defend that.

If USA starts Steph Curry opposite either of those guys they’re starting the game in a hole.
USA will like always overwhelm with talented depth but it depends on who we can get to play. Canada will be tough, Greece with Giannis will be good, and Spain is usually good. France will be good for years to come with Wemby, they develop some good pros too. Oh yeah Serbia if Jokic gets some help. If Embiid suits up for Cameroon they would have Pascal Siakim and him. Germany and Lithuania also have some good players.

Last edited:
I think Embiid has already said he’s playing for the US.

I think Canada is the team that has the next most talent. Murray, SGA, Sharpe, Dort, Brooks, Wiggins. Lyles. They’re lacking in the front court department though.

And Wiggins…you just never know which one is going to show up. He’s struggled with motivation his whole career going back to high school. But I think they’d have such an advantage in the back court they’d be one of the teams that could knock off team USA.

Yep I remember first hearing about him when he was playing the lower sphere Louisville high school all star game and the write up said he could bring the ball up at 6'6" and maybe he would do that in Cal's offense and i said, yeah, right. He's the biggest rags to riches in Cal era.

USA will like always overwhelm with talented depth but it depends on who we can get to play. Canada will be tough, Greece with Giannis will be good, and Spain is usually good. France will be good for years to come with Wemby, they develop some good pros too. Oh yeah Serbia if Jokic gets some help. If Embiid suits up for Cameroon they would have Pascal Siakim and him. Germany and Lithuania also have some good players.
I'm amazed at how much you and a few others know about the NBA. I only follow it casually but am impressed by your knowledge. Good job!

I watched him in St. Louis at the SEC Tournament finals against Tennessee and he was AMAZING.

It was unreal how he got to his spots anytime he wanted and drilled the pull ups. UT didn’t have an answer and neither did anyone else at the end of that season.

Even seeing that I have to admit he has far surpassed what I thought he would be in the NBA and I’m so happy for him.

First class young man!
I rewatched this game during the offseason and it was amazing how he dominated the game particularly the second half.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
Jokic and SGA are defying all the laws of the NBA universe. Neither are super athletic. Neither are super skilled when it comes to shooting threes (both hover slightly under 35%). And yet, both are immensely skilled in other ways that make them unicorns.

I actually like the types of superstars that are developing in the modern NBA. I'm tired of the freakish athletes like Durant and LeBron, and I'm eagerly awaiting their retirements so that this new era of the NBA can get fully underway.
I’ve always liked Durant’s game, but I agree on Lebron. Respect his game, but have never been a fan.

I think Embiid has already said he’s playing for the US.

I think Canada is the team that has the next most talent. Murray, SGA, Sharpe, Dort, Brooks, Wiggins. Lyles. They’re lacking in the front court department though.

And Wiggins…you just never know which one is going to show up. He’s struggled with motivation his whole career going back to high school. But I think they’d have such an advantage in the back court they’d be one of the teams that could knock off team USA.

I’m sure Barrett will suit up for Canada as well (not that he will be a difference maker)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT