Votes: 78 37.9%
  • Parents choice with in-class or virtual learning

Votes: 103 50.0%
  • Hybrid learning for all

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Full Virtual

Votes: 18 8.7%

• Total voters
Oldham county back in this week with an A/B schedule, now school is canceled for the next 2 Fridays to vaccinate teachers which is great, but can’t they do those on Saturdays?

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
Neither of those 2 districts are going back this year. It'll be a few weeks to vaccinate everyone once. Then a month to get 2nd dose. Then a month for it to be effective.

You have some immunity (40-50%) approx 7-10 days after first shot, then 95% 7-10 days after 2nd shot.

During the 11th hour..........and 59 minutes.........Madison County (who had previously decided to return) has reversed course.........leaving a sp!t ton of screaming parents everywhere!

If in Fayette County and desire improvement in the school system, email your PTA president and voice your support for Todd Burus to be on the Superintendent Selection Committee. He leads the Facebook group “Let Them Learn in Fayette County”. He is native Lexingtonian (as is his wife) and father of one FCPS graduate and two current students. For the last 15 years he has been a college Mathematics and Statistics professor.
———————————-
Part of his bio:
A little bit of background: I am a native Lexingtonian (as is my wife) and father of one FCPS graduate and two current students. For the last 15 years I’ve been a college Mathematics and Statistics professor. Alongside teaching, I have done considerable work in the communities I’ve lived in through various non-profit efforts. This has included, over the last five years in Lexington, a successful campaign to get a neighborhood park renovated to better serve the children in its area, the production and distribution of a documentary on Opioid addiction and recovery, serving as a community chaplain with the Lexington Police Department and serving on the LFUCG Opioid Grant Advisory Board/Mayor’s Substance Use Disorder Advisory Council.

Heard tonight about a 17 year old that played in little league the same time as my son, but 2 years older, committed suicide. Ive heard too many of those stories in the last couple of months. Sick to my stomach.

Yes I think I had heard about that sad story as well. Like you say too many cases of this happening (kids and parents). Fayette County Public Schools doesn’t seem to care about the detrimental effects this is having on our kids. But PLEASE for the sake of our kids (the community as a whole, even if you don’t have kids of your own) call and email Fayette County School administration and the Fayette County School board members. Don’t delay. Every day this continues, another kid goes further into depression, anxiety, drugs, etc. Listen to the pediatricians around town who say they are overwhelmed with kids suffering from being out of school. Please speak out on behalf of our kids who don’t have a voice.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Heard tonight about a 17 year old that played in little league the same time as my son, but 2 years older, committed suicide. Ive heard too many of those stories in the last couple of months. Sick to my stomach.

Just awful. Of course all these stories are swept under the rug for fear of reducing confidence in lockdown. It's all borderline criminal

As Nashville middle and high school students sat learning remotely from home last November, a Metro Nashville school board member took a trip to the Caribbean — and some parents aren't happy about it.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...ristiane-buggs-caribbean-vacation/4209158001/

Half the teachers on fb crying about the danger all went to the beach the previous week or two.

Any teacher proclaiming danger should not be in public whatsoever. Of all the public places, school is clearly one of the safest if not the safest

Heard tonight about a 17 year old that played in little league the same time as my son, but 2 years older, committed suicide. Ive heard too many of those stories in the last couple of months. Sick to my Lstomach.

A younger sibling of my son's friend ended his life this past weekend.

He was an eighth grader.

It’s not just school. It’s cancelling all of the activities and organizations that form your young identity of who you are and where you fit.

Bump for our kids. I wish there would be a massive rally to get kids back in school. They may not have authority to force the schools open but I am extremely disappointed by leaders in our city who have stayed silent on kids suffering at home. I wish the mayor or other city leaders would speak up to advocate returning kids to the classroom. Science has shown us that kids staying at home are causing spread of the virus, along with depression, suicide, drug use, abuse, neglect, and even possibly death in parents and kids. This experiment by FCPS and the school board must end. Their slogan says “It’s about kids”, but they are not living by their words right now. Right now it’s about $$$ and unions. I won’t stop fighting for my kids but more importantly will continue to fight for the disadvantaged kids who are suffering the most while forced to stay home from school.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Bump for our kids. I wish there would be a massive rally to get kids back in school. They may not have authority to force the schools open but I am extremely disappointed by leaders in our city who have stayed silent on kids suffering at home. I wish the mayor or other city leaders would speak up to advocate returning kids to the classroom. Science has shown us that kids staying at home are causing spread of the virus, along with depression, suicide, drug use, abuse, neglect, and even possibly death in parents and kids. This experiment by FCPS and the school board must end. Their slogan says “It’s about kids”, but they are not living by their words right now. Right now it’s about $$$ and unions. I won’t stop fighting for my kids but more importantly will continue to fight for the disadvantaged kids who are suffering the most while forced to stay home from school.

Should be. But tough to rally when you know it's quite possible you will be socially and professionally targeted. You will be fired from your current job if someone tells your employer. So most can't afford the risk.

All part of the "positive social pressure" of course

Does Fayette County have any statistics on suicides, drug overdoses, deaths of parents or kids since kids have been home?

I don't recall seeing anything similar. Hopefully it's because it doesn't exist but we know it most certainly does. Probably buried in the fears it will not be #teamkentucky

According to a board member, 5,422 doses have been given to K-12 staff, including public and private school staff. FCPS decides today for the week of Feb 8-13 if any kids will return to in person. I’m assuming it will be same story.....we want to go back, it’s not safe, answer is no.

I mean, they already said they're remote through at least 2/5. Are they going to announce another week so soon. The article was on WKYT.com yesterday.

They're also planning for "in-person" summer school. That will go over well...

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Things like this article are why schools aren't opening this spring and probably not fully open by fall in larger metro areas. Tons of great stuff in there.

"It's fear-based," she says of the drive to stay remote. "Like if it was science-based, fact-based, data-based, we could put out a metric or we could look at the data and decide when we get there and when it's safe. But it has become an emotional conversation. It's become a political conversation. And I don't know where and how you end those."

The goalposts on "safe" also seem to keep moving. Now that vaccines are out, some teachers say they will agree to return to work in person only when fully vaccinated, which could take months.

That is NPR btw... not Fox or something like that. Also that is Biden's CDC that released the report they reference.

Last edited:
Good. Reaping what they sowed when they used education as a political divide. It's disgusting. They spent 8 months, since Trump supported schools opening, convincing teachers they were in grave danger. When it is evident not only are the not in danger but are probably actually much safer in school. That's not even considering the ancillary dangers that school prevents for parents and students.

Warms my heart.

Things like this article are why schools aren't opening this spring and probably not fully open by fall in larger metro areas. Tons of great stuff in there.

"It's fear-based," she says of the drive to stay remote. "Like if it was science-based, fact-based, data-based, we could put out a metric or we could look at the data and decide when we get there and when it's safe. But it has become an emotional conversation. It's become a political conversation. And I don't know where and how you end those."

The goalposts on "safe" also seem to keep moving. Now that vaccines are out, some teachers say they will agree to return to work in person only when fully vaccinated, which could take months.

That is NPR btw... not Fox or something like that. Also that is Biden's CDC that released the report they reference.

She's right. I've been saying it for months. It's the one place where science is ignored. In schools. how disgusting. But we've convinced ourselves that teachers are the top of the pyramid in society. Not the kids.

Just heard thru reliable source that FCPS will not commit to a return to in person instruction once all staff have vaccines that want it. Decision makers will still look at other factors such as case counts, community spread, etc. Pathetic! FCPS jumps line to take the shot and says yeah, we may still stay at home. Someone from the news needs to ask FCPS the simple question..once all staff are vaccinated that want it, will you be back to in person learning? That needs to be in the paper today. Anyone know any news people?

Just heard thru reliable source that FCPS will not commit to a return to in person instruction once all staff have vaccines that want it. Decision makers will still look at other factors such as case counts, community spread, etc. Pathetic! FCPS jumps line to take the shot and says yeah, we may still stay at home. Someone from the news needs to ask FCPS the simple question..once all staff are vaccinated that want it, will you be back to in person learning? That needs to be in the paper today. Anyone know any news people?
I don’t think that is anything new, is it? They’ve had this matrix deal going for a while. Sounds like your source has it backwards. The seven day average number is the main indicator of return, but vaccinations, student and staff isolations (those numbers were released yesterday) and something else I can’t remember will be considered. So vaccinations are a part of it but have never been considered THE main roadblock to returning. If it was, they would have been mandatory. Maybe I missed something.

Yes they basically have always had a long list of factors to consider in a return ( and given themselves authority to add any random reason to that list). But my point is it’s pathetic that we are now at the point where all staff can get the shot that wants it (in addition to over 5,000 that got the shot last week, open spots this week are available for any staff that wants it), yet they still will not commit to a return once all staff are vaccinated.

I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for teachers, but they have lost a lot of my respect in the last couple of years.
If you disagree with the protests and sick-outs, then I can understand that. Reasonable adults can have different views on things. But please remember, Joe and Judy Classroom Teacher have very little to say in the school re-opening. We were surveyed (most chose to go back), we trained for hybrid, it was shut down, and now we’re training for graduated return, if it happens. I want my kids in school and I want the normalcy of a regular school year. In other words, it’s not up to us.

If you disagree with the protests and sick-outs, then I can understand that. Reasonable adults can have different views on things. But please remember, Joe and Judy Classroom Teacher have very little to say in the school re-opening. We were surveyed (most chose to go back), we trained for hybrid, it was shut down, and now we’re training for graduated return, if it happens. I want my kids in school and I want the normalcy of a regular school year. In other words, it’s not up to us.
I should not lump all teachers into my disappointment, you’re correct there. I would say though that if you guys really want to be back in the classroom, you would be there soon. If teachers can call in sick when they are not sick and cause a school to close, they can also do the opposite and put pressure on the BOE to open up.

Why aren’t the teachers as vocal about wanting to get back in school as they were about their pensions (protests, sick out, social media etc)?

Why aren’t the teachers as vocal about wanting to get back in school as they were about their pensions (protests, sick out, social media etc)?
I didn’t get involved in any of that, but my guess is that teachers and admin and BOEs are technically all on the same side, and not fighting the legislature and/or governor this time. All of the board meetings are on Zoom and there is limited availability for public comment (although it is there if needed). I can’t answer for everyone, though. I’m not a boat rocker.

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
I mean you're right, blaming individuals is kinda harsh, but after the pension stuff sick out, IMO, this is a wet fart in a crowded elevator. The reality is, most people are going to blame the teachers. Right or wrong. I think that lies pretty close to the middle. I've seen business owners and employees out fighting for their life to work. Haven't seen that motivation in teachers and frankly it's very disappointing. They know the damage being caused and are remaining silent.

I mean you're right, blaming individuals is kinda harsh, but after the pension stuff sick out, IMO, this is a wet fart in a crowded elevator. The reality is, most people are going to blame the teachers. Right or wrong. I think that lies pretty close to the middle. I've seen business owners and employees out fighting for their life to work. Haven't seen that motivation in teachers and frankly it's very disappointing. They know the damage being caused and are remaining silent.

Yep. No shortage of shouting about how they got vaccinated though.

Not trying to be a dick, Funky. I know it's easier to say stand up, when I'm not in that position. Not rocking the boat may be best for your interests and career. I know several teachers that want back asap.

Just saying, if these places refuse to return after cutting line for vaccines? Man, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Just saying, if these places refuse to return after cutting line for vaccines? Man, that's a tough pill to swallow.
That’s a big if, though. I think what we’ll see is that for the week of the 22nd the 7-day average number will align about the same time that most teachers have had the second dose for over a week. It’ll all magically come together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT