Votes: 78 37.9%
  • Parents choice with in-class or virtual learning

Votes: 103 50.0%
  • Hybrid learning for all

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Full Virtual

Votes: 18 8.7%

• Total voters
I guess it is a start but that week by week stuff seems worse than just declaring NTI all semester to me.

Schools do a lot of things but the first (and most important) thing they do is provide safe, reliable, and taxpayer funded childcare so people can work. A daycare that didn't have reliable hours would be out of business in a week.

Does the 2 day per week thing help?

Not sure yet. It was a dumbass Beshear recommendation for schools in higher red designation.

I understand what you are saying Hank but the week by week is just in case of spikes and quarantines of essential staff. . If the holiday backlog starts coming back in the next few weeks then we will be in 5 days per week.

I just think we can't give in to NTI the rest of the year no matter the uncertainty.

Reactions: anthonys735
I just think we can't give in to NTI the rest of the year no matter the uncertainty.

I could not agree more. I've stopped openly voicing this because I'm worried I may be giving my son (Freshman in JCPS) false hope. Fortunately our daughter is at Mercy so she gets two days a week for now and I suspect the private schools will be back full-time sooner rather than later.

Also agree w/Hank in regards to reliable child care. Not sure how some parents w/young kids are making this work.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
After about a thousand emails and texts last night, FCPS staff should be signed up for the vaccine. They even gave the people who said ‘no’ earlier the chance again.

I think Fayette County MAYBE is finally starting to feel the pressure to open. If I understand it correctly, Kentucky legislators passed a bill that will require in person learning. The bill will most likely be vetoed by the governor but then Feb 1 the legislators can override that veto. So lawyer(s) are preparing lawsuits if Fayette County does not open. I’ll believe it when my kids literally take their first steps into the building but I am hopeful.

I think Fayette County MAYBE is finally starting to feel the pressure to open. If I understand it correctly, Kentucky legislators passed a bill that will require in person learning. The bill will most likely be vetoed by the governor but then Feb 1 the legislators can override that veto. So lawyer(s) are preparing lawsuits if Fayette County does not open. I’ll believe it when my kids literally take their first steps into the building but I am hopeful.
I don’t think that’s what that bill does. Beshear made recommendations for school closings until Jan 11, at least the last time he said something about it. I don’t see any scenario where legislature commands schools to open, or if they even have the ability to do so. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think so in this case.

I got that from watching a video from Chris Weist, an attorney fighting to keep businesses and schools open. The video I watched was on his Facebook page where he explains the bills. For whatever reason he was confident schools would be forced to open and he is prepared to file lawsuits if they don’t.
This article doesn’t necessarily say they would be forced to open, so I’m not real sure.

I don’t think that’s what that bill does. Beshear made recommendations for school closings until Jan 11, at least the last time he said something about it. I don’t see any scenario where legislature commands schools to open, or if they even have the ability to do so. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think so in this case.

I think you are correct. The legislature would just make it to where Beshear couldn't CLOSE schools like he did near the end of first semester or when the pandemic first hit. Local districts will then make their own decisions, as they've done for most of the pandemic, based on local health department advice and data (because again the bill restricts the governor's powers, not those of the local districts). With several areas now starting to vaccinate faculty, I think you will see schools start to open more aggressively over the next four weeks.

The governor also plans to sue if the state legislature voids his veto, so that bill will get tied into the courts for a long time.

I got that from watching a video from Chris Weist, an attorney fighting to keep businesses and schools open. The video I watched was on his Facebook page where he explains the bills. For whatever reason he was confident schools would be forced to open and he is prepared to file lawsuits if they don’t.
This article doesn’t necessarily say they would be forced to open, so I’m not real sure.
WEll that article adds to a rather long list of reasons why I am glad I don't live in Kentucky. I'm not sure which is more archaic and backwards, the Kentucky legislature or Calipari.

I looked a little more into what I originally posted and found the below. So maybe it’s not a specific bill that says they must go back in person but rather a combination of existing mandatory in person school statues, new bill to limit executive order power on that already existing mandatory in person statue, and potential lawsuit fallouts that give the hope schools will be forced to open back up in person.
————————————————————
There is an entire chapter of statutes that mandate public, in person, instruction. KRS 158.
Specifically KRS 158.070 mandates in person instruction (with exceptions not relevant here).
The Governor has suspended those statutes (and others) through his abuse of KRS Chapter 39A and executive orders (the emergency response statute).
The legislature has claimed an intention to end or restrict these powers in January. They can pass a bill the first week of January, and come back to override the Governor’s veto on February 1.
One of the key reforms I will be looking at in any effective KRS 39A bill is the repeal of the statutory suspension provision in KRS 39A.180. It has been, and remains, the most widely abused and dangerous provision of KRS 39A.
Assuming a meaningful KRS 39A reform bill (Representative Maddox’s BR 130 is such a bill) is passed by the legislature, and assuming it has an emergency clause, I am willing and prepared to file suit February 2, 2021 on behalf of impacted parents and children in Fayette, Jefferson and other counties on mandatory NTI against the school districts, to return the kids to the classroom.

Reactions: Kaizer Sosay
Imo this should be front and center on the impeachment front. There is no demonstrable evidence anywhere in the world that kids not being in school was a public health decision.

It is obviously pandering to the kea/nea. But I'm not sure you even have to prove the actual motive. Disproving his stated motive should be enough on this point

Reactions: RunninRichie
On a positive note (perhaps) teachers are getting fast-tracked for the vaccine now. Appears many will get it before Feb. 1 now if they sign up. Could be a big step toward getting these kids back in school.

Reactions: bbonds
Unless you can go back full on by the second week of February, it's kind of pointless. Once you get past Spring Break, it's all test prep and Netflix anyway.
Yeah. That'll put High School kids at effectively losing 2 years of their High School experience.

Solid job everyone!! Preventing every case is a must before we get back.

Yeah. That'll put High School kids at effectively losing 2 years of their High School experience.

Solid job everyone!! Preventing every case is a must before we get back.

If any of our leaders had any balls they would cancel spring break and tell schools that the year doesn't end until June 30th.... By mid-March we will have enough people vaccinated that #'s will be dropping very fast and teachers will have all had their second doses (if they took it)...

No, if they had balls every kid in America would have the opportunity to be in class tomorrow. Teachers would get their vaccines in line with other essential employees. Period.

And wouldn't have shut down schools for longer than the initial 15 days to Stop the Spread deal last year.

It is criminal what is happening to children in this Commonwealth (and any other state that keeps their schools closed.)

Madison County was all set to go back to the hybrid (2 days a week) model starting tomorrow. Got an email this morning stating due to local hospitals being at or near capacity, our 75 on the incidence rate map, and the fact that we had the fourth highest number of new cases (64) in the state yesterday, that it would be virtual until the teachers received vaccines. It also said there was a vaccinator being sent to get the teachers vaccinated, but they were in talks about getting that nailed down as to when and would let us know. Needless to say after pulling the plug one day before going back, the school board Facebook group has not been a pretty sight today. Also, looking back at daily new cases, we had 142 on Jan 12th, the second highest in the state that day and not one word was said about NOT going back.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the hybrid model, especially the way it's being done here. A-K students go Mon & Wed. L-Z go Tues & Thurs. If it's about safety then why is it not A-K go Mon. & Tues, clean the school on Wednesday, and L-Z go Thurs. & Fri.? But hey, let's alternate the kids each day *rolleyes*.

The other reason I'm not a fan of the hybrid is it jerks the kids around too much. Work at school one day, work at home the next but not like a normal virtual day, a day where you basically just wait for the teacher to send you your work. There's no zoom meetings or anything, so it's basically a day off to the kids and doing work is the last thing on their mind.

I just get tired of the runaround that seems to accompany it all. I'm thankful I'm able to be here and keep things on track school wise. Not sure what it'd be like if that wasn't the case. I don't know how some families are doing it where that's not possible but my hat's off to you.

Madison County was all set to go back to the hybrid (2 days a week) model starting tomorrow. Got an email this morning stating due to local hospitals being at or near capacity, our 75 on the incidence rate map, and the fact that we had the fourth highest number of new cases (64) in the state yesterday, that it would be virtual until the teachers received vaccines. It also said there was a vaccinator being sent to get the teachers vaccinated, but they were in talks about getting that nailed down as to when and would let us know. Needless to say after pulling the plug one day before going back, the school board Facebook group has not been a pretty sight today. Also, looking back at daily new cases, we had 142 on Jan 12th, the second highest in the state that day and not one word was said about NOT going back.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the hybrid model, especially the way it's being done here. A-K students go Mon & Wed. L-Z go Tues & Thurs. If it's about safety then why is it not A-K go Mon. & Tues, clean the school on Wednesday, and L-Z go Thurs. & Fri.? But hey, let's alternate the kids each day *rolleyes*.

The other reason I'm not a fan of the hybrid is it jerks the kids around too much. Work at school one day, work at home the next but not like a normal virtual day, a day where you basically just wait for the teacher to send you your work. There's no zoom meetings or anything, so it's basically a day off to the kids and doing work is the last thing on their mind.

I just get tired of the runaround that seems to accompany it all. I'm thankful I'm able to be here and keep things on track school wise. Not sure what it'd be like if that wasn't the case. I don't know how some families are doing it where that's not possible but my hat's off to you.

I'll say this. My kids started the year "hybrid". We really enjoyed it for our kids. (all in elementary school) . Super small class sizes and a more relaxed setting. We are back with everybody there and it's even better. Hybrid is absolutely better than all virtual.

Reactions: bigblue11
I'll say this. My kids started the year "hybrid". We really enjoyed it for our kids. (all in elementary school) . Super small class sizes and a more relaxed setting. We are back with everybody there and it's even better. Hybrid is absolutely better than all virtual.

Yeah, the small class sizes are great, especially for my 11 year old. When they went full-time in person for about 2 or 3 weeks I think it was, he only had about 7 kids in his class. I just wish it was laid out a bit different here.

I'm really not sure they'll go back at all this year after today's email. Last minute and with very vague information.

Reactions: RunninRichie
FCPS out another week. At least through the 5th. 7 day average went from 235 to 197, so my guess would be 2/22 for a restart.

Well, again, they won’t have their second dose before 2/9. And then wait 2 weeks for the vaccine to fully take effect. I’m calling March. This is bullshit.

Another plug for the Facebook group “Let Then Learn in Fayette County”. Join our fight! The school board has failed us in holding Fayette County accountable in this situation and other areas. Hopefully with our group over the next few years we can slowly vote the current board members out and get Fayette County back on the right track! But join today to help us in today’s fight. Call and write school board members and administrators. Let them hear your child’s story!

Dr. Stack is cool with sending his kid off to private school in person in Fayette County but somehow it’s not safe for a kid to attend a public school in Fayette County...yeah makes sense.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT