ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp as usual....

The Rupp atmosphere is very disappointing. Miami game was great but in general it’s pretty depressing. I try to stand and cheer at times but then I look around and everyone behind me is sitting down, so I sit down to avoid being an asshole lol

Wish we had a real student section like Michigan St/Duke/Kansas/Purdue/IU/Florida etc etc etc

In all of recorded history, Mississippi State has won a grand total of two games against UK at Rupp Arena. TWO. They are a snoozer of an opponent. The knowledgeable home crowd was well aware the 6th Man shouldn’t be needed for this game.

In all of recorded history, Mississippi State has won a grand total of two games against UK at Rupp Arena. TWO. They are a snoozer of an opponent. The knowledgeable home crowd was well aware the 6th Man shouldn’t be needed for this game.
Recently "snoozer" opponents have came in here unintimidated, and won. Pitiful excuse to not to enthusiastically support your team.....

Reactions: ManitouDan
The Rupp atmosphere is very disappointing. Miami game was great but in general it’s pretty depressing. I try to stand and cheer at times but then I look around and everyone behind me is sitting down, so I sit down to avoid being an asshole lol
Yeah, it's the blue haired crowd I'm afraid. They have the money and the pedigreee to own those seats and they sit on their hands. I'm afraid we're stuck with it. The venue could be very intimidating to opposing players and sometimes it is, but if it's not a big name or a top 10 team, forget about it. We've been complaining about it for years and will be complaining for years to come. This 13 point win could have been 25 with a rowdy crowd.

I know how to fix it, but it will never happen. Take away the guaranteed first chance at season tickets from all previous season ticket holders. Make them all apply with no guarantees like everyone else. Sell them new every season. That would do it. It would completely change the people in those seats and the dynamic of the lower bowl, which is where the hand sitters are located. As I say, it will never happen.

• Haha
Reactions: jrpross and wldctky
Yeah, it's the blue haired crowd I'm afraid. They have the money and the pedigreee to own those seats and they sit on their hands. I'm afraid we're stuck with it. The venue could be very intimidating to opposing players and sometimes it is, but if it's not a big name or a top 10 team, forget about it. We've been complaining about it for years and will be complaining for years to come. This 13 point win could have been 25 with a rowdy crowd.

I know how to fix it, but it will never happen. Take away the guaranteed first chance at season tickets from all previous season ticket holders. Make them all apply with no guarantees like everyone else. Sell them new every season. That would do it. It would completely change the people in those seats and the dynamic of the lower bowl, which is where the hand sitters are located. As I say, it will never happen.
What about all the money that folks donate for the K fund? Talking years and years of it for some Give to the 110 club, Big Blue Initiative or whatever it’s called, There is a path for folks to get drawn and then get to the lower level. You have to be willing to write the checks unfortunately. I seemed to notice a lot less of the “blue hairs” since Covid. I get phone calls and letters from UK students thanking me for whatever the last request for money was for. Wouldn’t have given them a penny if I knew my basketball tickets were for one year only. Yeah, I do it to help- but I want my basketball seats in return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kybluedude
Old money people hog the important seats. That one redheaded lady is on every game, and you know at one time she was an elite looker but not is growing old with her old man. The old money people aren't going to screech, and bark, and taunt and lose their minds in these games. It's just what it is.

I love the crowd at Rupp. The crowd at somewhere like Cameron is like a small dog, constantly yapping. It’s more of an annoyance than anything.

The crowd at Rupp is like a big dog, content to lay at your feet. But when it barks, you know it means business. When Rupp roars, it can be deafening, and the impact of that is magnified by the contrast between when it’s quiet and when it’s loud.

It is also the only arena I’ve been to where the crowd is constantly attuned to the game and reacts in subtle ways. You can hear the soft groan when the crowd sees someone open for a pass but the ball handler fails to see it.

The environment at Rupp is unique among college basketball venues and I hope that doesn’t change. It’s a very special place to watch a game.

Last night was my first time in Rupp since 2015. My dad and I both said we were surprised to see so many open seats around tip, but it did kind of fill in. It wasn’t a very rowdy crowd at all, but our section was into the game and discussing it. I didn’t think it was terrible in person, but I can see it coming off very quite on tv.

I will say Rupp is what it is at this point. You’re not going get a crazy crowd for a Wednesday night sec game. I do think if the Cats won last weekend and came in top 3-5 it might have been a little more crowded at Rupp.

They sure do…. coming from a majority of couch potatoes who can’t or won’t make the effort to go to Rupp.
Effort ? Yes it is , I work this am , 2 hour drive , costly ticket , usually no way I score a lower arena so the view can be ... not so great .. you squeeze in a row besides God knows who .. I've had fat ones , stinky ones , ones that left at halftime . All to enjoy a crowd that seems more interested in their phones than the game .. Its not all couch potatoes , its just not like driving 15-30 minutes , pulling in a parking lot for free, and walking into a arena. Its not that simple .

When everyone talks about “blue hairs” and “old money” etc, I mean how much do lower level season tickets cost? Is it like hundreds of thousands? What are we talking here? I can’t imagine it’s that much. I feel like everyone acts like it’s the queen of England attending or something.

Effort ? Yes it is , I work this am , 2 hour drive , costly ticket , usually no way I score a lower arena so the view can be ... not so great .. you squeeze in a row besides God knows who .. I've had fat ones , stinky ones , ones that left at halftime . All to enjoy a crowd that seems more interested in their phones than the game .. Its not all couch potatoes , its just not like driving 15-30 minutes , pulling in a parking lot for free, and walking into a arena. Its not that simple .

And most of the rich people in the lower level probably live in Lexington or near it. A lot of us would go to every game but where we live makes that impossible.

It's not just the season ticket holders. The students don't show up like they used to either.

I remember the old days of having to go to Memorial for the ticket lottery and wait around all morning to get called. They barely have to lift a finger to go these days and they still don't show up as much.

When everyone talks about “blue hairs” and “old money” etc, I mean how much do lower level season tickets cost? Is it like hundreds of thousands? What are we talking here? I can’t imagine it’s that much. I feel like everyone acts like it’s the queen of England attending or something.
I pay $8,000 per year for bball tickets. Breakdown to $400 a game for my 2 tickets. My friend had to make a sizable donation to the Blue White fund for the ability to buy season tickets

Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT