ADVERTISEMENT

Royce White

i wouldn't get caught dead on a Tennessee Board, and we need this kid we only have eight players next year!!!! I'm glad catspause has 40 people who are the second coming of Jesus Christ judging a kid they no nothing about except what the media prints.

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:
I think the kid deserves another chance. Why not?

How is this different than Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch forging ideas to get into a nightclud?

How is this different than Camara's DUI, wherein he could have literally killed someone on the road?

Kids make mistakes. Remember Myron Anthony/Wayne Turner lying about the car wreck? Remember Ramel Bradley and his g/f? What about Stone and his ex-girlfriend and his throwing a phone at her?

I could make a list with about 15 bullet points of UK players in the last 10-12 years who made big time mistakes, and were restored accordingly. Kids make mistakes.

Some of you have short term memories and quite frankly, make me laugh at your blatant ignorance.

There was an old Indian woman picking up firewood in the snow when she found a snake half frozen in the snow.She took the snake back to her hut and warmed it by the fire and nursed it back to health.Once healthy she leaned over to pet the snake and it bit her on the face.As the old woman lay dieing on the floor of the hut she said "why did you bite me after I rescued you". The snake replied "Look bitch, you knew I was a snake when you brought me in here!"

All of the players you mentioned above were committed to UK when they screwed up. It was UKs responsibility to apply progressive discipline in their cases.

We don't need to import someone else's problems. Does he deserve another chance? Probably but the people at UM should be making this decision not us. Look at the quality of kids we are bringing in the program. Do you think the Knight's, Lamb's, and Poole's want their son going to school with someone with those troubles? Bringing in White will focus negative attention to Cal's recruiting which is already being scrutinized by everyone. What is the point? White is just as likely to be an academic and behavioral problem as a success story. Let Tubby Smith work this out with him.

Yet again, we are not judging him. He has shown his colors and now it is up to HIM to show us that he is a changed man. He can say he is sorry all he wants after he is caught, since he can't play bball. The true test is, will he put in the work to change and get back on the court, or is he just saying sorry to play ball again. Only White can answer that one. I would love to have a good PF like him ... but it isn't worth another target on our back.

I say, if White wants to come here, and Cal wants him, I'd tell the kid up front: if you mess up ONE TIME, you're gone, otherwise, if he's matured there will be no problem.

Originally posted by CatFanInIlliniLand:
Coach Strickland is still here. Why not Royce white? Seriously!

Seriously, you really don't see any difference between what they have done? Some of you guys crack me up comparing underage drinking (partying) and now a guy with a drinking problem to someone who is a thief and gets into problems directly with the law. So, I guess what you are saying, who cares if someone has a criminal record and has shown no signs of getting things straightened out, let's welcome him to UK because he might help us win some games? Wow, have we really sunk this far as a fanbase.

Originally posted by ORCAT:

Seriously, you really don't see any difference between what they have done? Some of you guys crack me up comparing underage drinking (partying) and now a guy with a drinking problem to someone who is a thief and gets into problems directly with the law. So, I guess what you are saying, who cares if someone has a criminal record and has shown no signs of getting things straightened out, let's welcome him to UK because he might help us win some games? Wow, have we really sunk this far as a fanbase.
White - multiple counts of theft from high school and college. Assault on a security guard.

Strickland - multiple DUIs (4) from college till now. A GROWN MAN, getting his 4th DUI!

I don't want either as ambassadors for UK. Strickland sure doesn't seem to be trying to change. If you disagree, then why the 4th DUI. White also seems to be content with his bad behavior.

I am not sure he would be eligible anyway, with the way he left Minnesota. That said, is he a "giver" or a "taker". Didn't Cal say he didn't recruit "takers", by which we all assumed he meant the Stephenson kid. I would like to see him turn his life around, then think about basketball.

Giving these kids a pass from experiencing the natural consequences of their actions, because they can dribble a basketball doesn't help them in the game of life.

UK:C-130- These are kids. the brain does not fully develop until around 23-25. the part that develops at the latest time: decision making, the thought process of actions and consequences AKA "maturity"...these are def kids.

Originally posted by nkuCATfan:
UK:C-130- These are kids. the brain does not fully develop until around 23-25. the part that develops at the latest time: decision making, the thought process of actions and consequences AKA "maturity"...these are def kids.
So at what age should young men start being held accountable for their actions?
At what age does criminal behavior become unacceptable? I am just curious, because it seems you want to say that someone who has been a thief for most of their life should be able to write it all off as a mistake. Please explain.

Re: Royce White & Darnell Dodson

This thread is interesting reading. I decided to go out and read about White myself.

White wound up pleading guilty to all charges except the theft--he got a reduced charge of trespassing on that one (he was filmed inside the dorm going into unlocked rooms with 4 other guys and admitted that part, but there was no film of him stealing the laptop or anything else and he denied that part).

While looking at Minnesota players, I ran across some very interesting reading on Darnell Dodson and Trevor Mbakwe (see the link below for one such article). Trevor Mbakwe, a junior and a teammate of White's at Minnesota, had a trial scheduled for Jan 7 of this year on charges of assaulting a female in Florida during April 2009. The trial had to be delayed. 2 of Mbakwe's key alibi witnesses, a Memphis assistant coach (Matthew Dunn, Mbakwe's former AAU coach) and some guy named Darnell Dodson (rumored to be a KY BB player), could not make that trial date due to prior basketball committments. The author of the article seems to think that Mbakwe may be innocent.

So, I guess that Memphis's assistant coach and Darnell were in Miami in April 2009 together, along with Trevor Mbakwe? how odd. Spring break maybe?

I had not heard of the Mbakwe matter before, or Dodson's connection with it.

To see one of many articles about White's guilty pleas to the Mall Of America shoplifting and assault charges (reduced to theft and disorderly conduct): http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/royce-white-university-minnesota-release-feb-3-2010

To see one of many articles on Whites guilty plea to the trespass charge relating to the laptop missing from the dorm: http://wcco.com/local/royce.white.guilty.2.1482537.html?CFID=4427577&CFTOKEN=99354010

The above trespass article does not mention that White was filmed in the dorms. You'll have to look at one of the dozens of other article out on the net to get that. However, the article does tend to make one question whether the trespass was very serious so far as White is concerned, for this reason. He was going into vacant and occupied rooms, and had conversations with people in more than one occupied room. It stretches my credulity too far to believe that he would talk to people if he knew that one of his friends was going to steal a laptop. That said, going into strangers' rooms (especially womens' rooms at night) with a bunch of guys is liable to lead to some bad things. Not a bright move at all, but he may be guilty of nothing other than bad judgment on the trespass/burglary charges, and that may be why it was reduced to one count of simple trespass.
This post was edited on 5/16 8:03 PM by MO_Blue

Trevor Mbakwe

Re: Royce White & Darnell Dodson

Originally posted by MO_Blue:
This thread is interesting reading. I decided to go out and read about White myself.

White wound up pleading guilty to all charges except the theft--he got a reduced charge of trespassing on that one (he was filmed inside the dorm going into unlocked rooms with 4 other guys and admitted that part, but there was no film of him stealing the laptop or anything else and he denied that part).

While looking at Minnesota players, I ran across some very interesting reading on Darnell Dodson and Trevor Mbakwe (see the link below for one such article). Trevor Mbakwe, a junior and a teammate of White's at Minnesota, had a trial scheduled for Jan 7 of this year on charges of assaulting a female in Florida during April 2009. The trial had to be delayed. 2 of Mbakwe's key alibi witnesses, a Memphis assistant coach (Matthew Dunn, Mbakwe's former AAU coach) and some guy named Darnell Dodson (rumored to be a KY BB player), could not make that trial date due to prior basketball committments. The author of the article seems to think that Mbakwe may be innocent.

So, I guess that Memphis's assistant coach and Darnell were in Miami in April 2009 together, along with Trevor Mbakwe? how odd. Spring break maybe?

I had not heard of the Mbakwe matter before, or Dodson's connection with it.

To see one of many articles about White's guilty pleas to the Mall Of America shoplifting and assault charges (reduced to theft and disorderly conduct): http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/royce-white-university-minnesota-release-feb-3-2010

To see one of many articles on Whites guilty plea to the trespass charge relating to the laptop missing from the dorm: http://wcco.com/local/royce.white.guilty.2.1482537.html?CFID=4427577&CFTOKEN=99354010

The above trespass article does not mention that White was filmed in the dorms. You'll have to look at one of the dozens of other article out on the net to get that. However, the article does tend to make one question whether the trespass was very serious so far as White is concerned, for this reason. He was going into vacant and occupied rooms, and had conversations with people in more than one occupied room. It stretches my credulity too far to believe that he would talk to people if he knew that one of his friends was going to steal a laptop. That said, going into strangers' rooms (especially womens' rooms at night) with a bunch of guys is liable to lead to some bad things. Not a bright move at all, but he may be guilty of nothing other than bad judgment on the trespass/burglary charges, and that may be why it was reduced to one count of simple trespass.
This post was edited on 5/16 8:03 PM by MO_Blue

Mbakwe and Dodson played together on the Miami Dade team, and the Memphis coach was an assistant there at the time.Both Dodson and the coach are key witnesses for Mbakwe. All reports in Minneapolis are that people with knowledge think Mbakwe is innocent, and all expect him to be playing for MN next year. Royce White, now he's another story.

re-read my post...i was not saying he should not be held accountable, you were claiming they were adults, i was just pointing out he is still a kid. 18 is the "legal" age for an adult. it does not mean that they are fully capable of grasping the full concept of consequences to their actions at that age...some do, some dont.

Originally posted by nkuCATfan:
re-read my post...i was not saying he should not be held accountable, you were claiming they were adults, i was just pointing out he is still a kid. 18 is the "legal" age for an adult. it does not mean that they are fully capable of grasping the full concept of consequences to their actions at that age...some do, some dont.
So "kids" (anyone under the age of 18) should not be held accountable for their decisions? People know right and wrong (stealing) much earlier in life than 18. This young man should not be given a pass at all for being a life long thief (see criminal record).
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding" is a great quote that explains why there are so many criminals. How many recurring sex offenders, child molesters and murderers would we have if we used the death penalty? How many innocent families would be spared this nightmare if the criminals were treated like the animals they are? I know you aren't defending the later, but it all starts with "kids" not being held accountable at an early age.

Originally posted by UK:C-130:

Originally posted by ORCAT:

White - multiple counts of theft from high school and college. Assault on a security guard.

Strickland - multiple DUIs (4) from college till now. A GROWN MAN, getting his 4th DUI!

I don't want either as ambassadors for UK. Strickland sure doesn't seem to be trying to change. If you disagree, then why the 4th DUI. White also seems to be content with his bad behavior.

Bingo! ORCAT is a little slow tonight.

If he comes here and takes money from an agent then the recruits and Cal are gone and UK is on probation , it's over . He has shown multiple times that his decision making is poor and a high risk to take . This is not Tennessee where crime is course credit . Forgive yes , reward no .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT