ADVERTISEMENT

Rembrandt...

jlkirk

Sophomore
Dec 4, 2005
Care to comment on the latest OL offer...Adam Guthrie...a 2*...with a somewhat less than stellar offer sheet(?) I have really tried to trust the staff in the past, but this one seems like a desperate reach...

Aren't 2* prospects really 'unrated'? I agree about the offer sheet but, if he's 'unrated', maybe it's because he hasn't been to any camps.

Care to comment on the latest OL offer...Adam Guthrie...a 2*...with a somewhat less than stellar offer sheet(?) I have really tried to trust the staff in the past, but this one seems like a desperate reach...
Not Rembrandt but this seems to be a common thing right now. This player isn't the only 2*/5.5 guy they've offered. Recruiting seems to be on idle with just 6-7 weeks until early signing day. Either they're desperate or they're holding rides for portal.

He's class of 26 so his star rating is irrelevant right now.
They wouldn't offer a 24 2* IMO.
That scholly would go to a portal transfer.

We are having to coach and build up too many 3 star OL and DL to get up to the next level. Recruiting and getting 4 star bigs has gotten to be an issue. We are getting the OLB types that are 4 stars but still can't pass rush.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Think you would be surprised if you knew how many offers every team gives that never are issued scholarships, just part of the game. Colleges offer early, if they improve greatly that's wonderful, but if they've maxed out early they just move on to a more talented player.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
We are having to coach and build up too many 3 star OL and DL to get up to the next level. Recruiting and getting 4 star bigs has gotten to be an issue. We are getting the OLB types that are 4 stars but still can't pass rush.
Agreed re OL/DL, especially OL, and it appears to be getting worse. Go back about 5 years and count how many OL have left regardless of reason. It's beyond shocking.

Reactions: bluecoon1
Agreed re OL/DL, especially OL, and it appears to be getting worse. Go back about 5 years and count how many OL have left regardless of reason. It's beyond shocking.

Sam Pittman was mentioned here a few days ago about possibly being an OL coach candidate if Arkansas made a change.i really like him, he is 2nd to none as an OL recruiter pre NIL. But as a teaching coach I think Matt Luke and Stacey Searels better. Luke is out of coaching, his choice, living in Athens and enjoying the good life thanks to OM buyout money and smart investing.

We keep replacing guys with coaches that aren’t really recruiters. Buffano for clink, his brother and Boulware who had a few in their heyday maybe but seems like their ceiling at this point is pulling in a guy as opposed to nailing several guys. Woody or Yenser…? Not much there either. Guys that seem to be past their prime on volume work or any work at all. . Not enough volume out of anybody but Vince.

Yeah, just look how many on the roster has been here multiple years on the OL. The need we have for good OL and some of those guys have been here 2-3 years and still can't help. We have to sign some 3's and coach them up for numbers but if we want to compete with the top teams every year we are going to have to start getting more 4 stars on the lines. The top teams just have too much of an advantage talent wise.

Walker, Hayes, Silver and Ox was highly rated coming out and guys like Saunders and Dinkins are fine players but look what GA and TN did running against that line. Just saying to start beating those guys I feel like we need to get more of the higher ranked linemen. That is where it starts and that is whether you win or lose.

Yeah, just look how many on the roster has been here multiple years on the OL. The need we have for good OL and some of those guys have been here 2-3 years and still can't help. We have to sign some 3's and coach them up for numbers but if we want to compete with the top teams every year we are going to have to start getting more 4 stars on the lines. The top teams just have too much of an advantage talent wise.

Walker, Hayes, Silver and Ox was highly rated coming out and guys like Saunders and Dinkins are fine players but look what GA and TN did running against that line. Just saying to start beating those guys I feel like we need to get more of the higher ranked linemen. That is where it starts and that is whether you win or lose.
You don't rush just against a 3-man line. You rush against the 4 LB's & SS too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPFisher
You don't rush just against a 3-man line. You rush against the 4 LB's 7 SS too.
We don't have 'that guy' at Weaver position that the top programs have. Even though three of our guys was 4 stars, they aren't playing that way. Doing OK for a three star. One of the differences between us and schools like GA and TN.

We don't have 'that guy' at Weaver position that the top programs have. Even though three of our guys was 4 stars, they aren't playing that way. Doing OK for a three star. One of the differences between us and schools like GA and TN.
I agree JJ is woefully in QB pressures for a Jack Lber vs. rest of SEC.

But Oxendine, Rybka, Saunders, Hayes, etc... play a ton and generate little QB pressure from interior Dline standpoint vs. SEC.

Really only Walker is solid pass rush for interior Dline adn he's not exactly 2nd coming of Aaron Donald out there.

I agree JJ is woefully in QB pressures for a Jack Lber vs. rest of SEC.

But Oxendine, Rybka, Saunders, Hayes, etc... play a ton and generate little QB pressure from interior Dline standpoint vs. SEC.

Really only Walker is solid pass rush for interior Dline adn he's not exactly 2nd coming of Aaron Donald out there.
Pass rush is a consistent issue except for when we had Allen. He was solid his Jr year and great his sr. Dupree and z smith were good really early in stoops tenure although Dupree I largely associate with the previous staff. And current day football d is more about creating negative plays than limiting yards and things like that. Although that still holds value.

Reactions: gamecockcat
I agree with most of the points generally but I think it’s somewhat nitpicks too. You have to be elite top round talent to consistently put up sacks against SEC comp. Having that high a bar (Josh Allen) is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Like, these guys will do well against MSU and South Carolina (maybe UofL too), and some views will swing too far the other way. They are the same players, they just faced worst OLs than UGA, Mizzou, and UT for once.

Bottom line: Walker is the only DL with NFL talent currently on this roster. Weaver and Ox are UDFA but who knows with a good combine.

Out of curiosity I looked at how Justin Rogers was doing at Auburn this year. He’s a nose so not going to put up numbers but would be interested in auburn persons opinion if he’s NFL level or was smart to secure the NIL money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT