ADVERTISEMENT

Reed's mental health coach

Is there a difference between a mental health coach and a therapist?

I remember Tubby bringing in a sports psychologist to help Patrick Sparks when he was in a pretty serious slump. I wonder if it’s the same person.

Reactions: Fox2monk

I remember Tubby bringing in a sports psychologist to help Patrick Sparks when he was in a pretty serious slump. I wonder if it’s the same person.
Yes there is a difference. Big difference IMO, and most D1 schools have a mental health coach they just aren't around 24/7. They come in several times a month and sometimes on GameDays. The same mental health coach can work for many different programs as well.

Why would you think it's the same person? lol

One heck of a coach since he/she has played a seemingly big part in Edwards' turnaround. Probably goes with him putting a lot more time in dedicating himself to workouts as you can tell he's in better shape too.
I am elated seeing his improved Spirit show in his body with his new speed and coordination, and hitting shots too while dunking HARD when challenged. YES

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
How long until some raftard calls that “woke”.

If they call it "woke" then they don't understand what it is or how it works. It's more of a motivation and finding yourself and that inner competitor than anything else. These kids are put under a microscope when they come to UK and when you underperform it can be brutal on your self esteem and confidence. The mental health coach helps elevate that back and make you into a "cleaner" as Tim Grover would say.

Last edited:
How long until some raftard calls that “woke”.

They won't because they directly benefit from it. This is classic situation where people judge someone for something until they're somehow affected by it, then all of a sudden they can show some empathy. But it's a guarantee that if it was a kid on Duke or Tennessee that used a mental health coach and then broke out late in the season they'd say stuff like "wow kids are so soft these days" or mock them.

Reactions: wardlow
Metal health or mental health
quiet riot GIF

They won't because they directly benefit from it. This is classic situation where people judge someone for something until they're somehow affected by it, then all of a sudden they can show some empathy. But it's a guarantee that if it was a kid on Duke or Tennessee that used a mental health coach and then broke out late in the season they'd say stuff like "wow kids are so soft these days" or mock them.

I'm all for whatever works. At the end of the day, these are just kids. It can be very easy to come in, and let a couple bad games turn into 10 or 20. Self-esteem drops, motivation drops. I remember being an athlete at that age. I have empathy. Sometimes I need to remind myself that these are kids, though. At the end of the day, we are all human.

My reason for posting this, other than a small injection of humor, was about both Reed and Justin. When I was their age some of my big decisions/pressures was contemplating "Mcdonalds or Burger King?" If I had an Arbys coupon then the decision was even more difficult.

I can't even imagine trying to navigate their daily routines at that age. Hell, I doubt I could do it now as a "grizzled veteran" of life. Could probably handle some aspects of the social life though. LOL

Cognitive behavior therapy -- rational self-evaluations -- is one of the successes of modern psychology. No mumbo jumbo. No strange interpretations of dreams. No Oedipal myths. Just you keeping conscious track of the things you tell yourself. Are your self-evaluations accurate? Could you phrase it in a less harsh way? Is it something you can change? IOW, a handful of non-exotic habits to adopt. No drugs. No life-long therapy. No dependence on some mystifying therapist. The players call the guy they're seeing a "coach", and that sounds about right.

Apologies to real psychologists if I've mangled the details. Step in and clarify.

I'm all for whatever works. At the end of the day, these are just kids. It can be very easy to come in, and let a couple bad games turn into 10 or 20. Self-esteem drops, motivation drops. I remember being an athlete at that age. I have empathy. Sometimes I need to remind myself that these are kids, though. At the end of the day, we are all human.
Agreed MikeD. I can see how a guy like Edwards coming in and playing poorly could easily struggle with confidence and even depression when it is ongoing. It's great that Sheppard saw the struggle and cared enough to offer some help that he had found for himself. And it's pretty obvious, the main problem was a mental thing, not a physical thing. So, yeah, I think this is great. And of course, we all love the way Edwards has been playing. He was amazing again in the UT game! His improved play is HUGE for the team. 😀

Reactions: UKgal82 and Mike-D
Cognitive behavior therapy -- rational self-evaluations -- is one of the successes of modern psychology. No mumbo jumbo. No strange interpretations of dreams. No Oedipal myths. Just you keeping conscious track of the things you tell yourself. Are your self-evaluations accurate? Could you phrase it in a less harsh way? Is it something you can change? IOW, a handful of non-exotic habits to adopt. No drugs. No life-long therapy. No dependence on some mystifying therapist. The players call the guy they're seeing a "coach", and that sounds about right.

Apologies to real psychologists if I've mangled the details. Step in and clarify.
As someone in the profession who works with high level athletes, businessmen and regular joes alike you did a good job of explaining it IMO.

Reactions: UKgal82
Agreed MikeD. I can see how a guy like Edwards coming in and playing poorly could easily struggle with confidence and even depression when it is ongoing. It's great that Sheppard saw the struggle and cared enough to offer some help that he had found for himself. And it's pretty obvious, the main problem was a mental thing, not a physical thing. So, yeah, I think this is great. And of course, we all love the way Edwards has been playing. He was amazing again in the UT game! His improved play is HUGE for the team. 😀

💯

You don't see the double up on "at the end of the days" very often

And at the end of the day, that's how I can tell this is a deep, thoughtful and reflective post.

A coach who can help them navigate that pressure cooker and keep their heads in the game sounds like a game-changer.

Maybe it's not just about sports – students, artists, anyone with a high-pressure life could benefit from a mental health coach. It's like having a personal cheerleader in your corner, someone to help you step back, breathe, and see the forest for the trees

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT