ADVERTISEMENT

Reed's Decision...Ramifications For Pope And UK!

I don’t buy this “we were crazy/he was never coming back” notion simply because we’ve seen Cal players bypass the NBA before. Terrence Jones and Willie Cauley-Stein being the two most obvious examples. His parents both played at UK. Pope was dad’s college roommate. It wasn’t crazy to think he could return.
Hoping was not crazy just definitely a very long shot, at best.

The expectation was crazy.

He is not a Tim Duncan like lock. If he came back he'd almost certainly drop and drop a lot even with improvement.

It was an unlucky draft year for BBN.

Reactions: sefus12
I wish the best for Reed. He seems like a great kid and comes from a great family and deserves nothing but the best. I am sad to see him go. I really wanted him to be something really special here at UK. With that said the ramification for Pope is simply, at least he does not have to waste time teaching Reed how to play defense. Cal never did.

Ok good luck with that. We’re HARDLY Indiana, don’t know the roster and haven’t played a &$%# game yet. 🙄
You’ll see. Pope isn’t known like most fans think he is. People are not gonna line up to come here or beg for an offer anymore lol. Kentucky is bigger than cal but players don’t go places for the name on the jersey anymore and anyone who believes otherwise is a fool. I’d feel better if Donovan formally said no but according to most reports we had a shot. Pope was just a easy hire by our piece of shit AD

Ramifications:

Players don't have to worry about competing with Reed for clock and shots.

Coach cannot say get on the bandwagon and run with Reed effing Shephard.

No sophomore Reed to open a new era.

It will be okay.

This was 100% decided before Pope came. Know how I know? Because they put on the Reed Sheppard Experience at Rupp in less than a week. Like they thought of it just two weeks ago and scheduled it for last Thursday. Actually, I just looked it up. He scheduled this before it was announced Cal was leaving.

Reed wouldn’t have done that if he didn’t know he was going pro.

Cal even said in his Ark press conference Reed was going to the lottery.

When asked about not starting Reed at Uk his said “Reeds fine he’s going off to be a lottery pick”

He was never coming back and I’d guess Cal has still been helping him navigate it all.

Reactions: susan2361
To my knowledge he was projected a lottery in serious mocks after his freshman season. It’s understandable that Reed is likely to go, but given his fathers position against the OAD, his love for Kentucky, and the fact that he’s not ready at all; there was always a chance he decided on one more year. Plus he could have made millions here so, I just don’t see how there was some guarantee where people were brain dead for thinking it was possible. Reed is the type that would if anyone would do it.
Reed will improve far more in the NBA than he would at UK, and he’s making millions while doing it. If the kid is making the best decision for his career, going to the NBA is the right choice. We may not like it, but that doesn’t make it wrong.

You’ll see. Pope isn’t known like most fans think he is. People are not gonna line up to come here or beg for an offer anymore lol. Kentucky is bigger than cal but players don’t go places for the name on the jersey anymore and anyone who believes otherwise is a fool. I’d feel better if Donovan formally said no but according to most reports we had a shot. Pope was just a easy hire by our piece of shit AD
What reports? Prove that we “had a shot.” I don’t think we did or were interested in him to begin with. Rightfully so imo.

I don’t buy this “we were crazy/he was never coming back” notion simply because we’ve seen Cal players bypass the NBA before. Terrence Jones and Willie Cauley-Stein being the two most obvious examples. His parents both played at UK. Pope was dad’s college roommate. It wasn’t crazy to think he could return.
Buy it or not, he ain’t coming back.

Portal guards, especially potential PG's, NOW KNOW there is definitely one more opening on UK's starting five because none of these portals were taking Reed's PG spot if he came back to UK for another year!!!!

Everyone should have known that Reed to the NBA draft had to realistically happen, really only decision to be made due to the amount of lottery money on the table!!!!
Not starting. Thats travis perry’s job now

He hasn't coached college basketball in 10 years, has been a mediocre at best NBA coach during that time, has zero experience with NIL, and working the transfer portal. LOL
Fair points but Donovan brings credibility. He’s known to players.

Reactions: Allcats08
Reed didn't leave because Pope got hired. He left to make millions of dollars. I just wish Pope had been here to coach Reed at the beginning. Pope would have turned him loose and let him play.

Reactions: NostraDanis
Fair points but Donovan brings credibility. He’s known to players.
Known as what? Not as the Gators coach who won back-to-back titles but again, as a mediocre NBA coach. They don't know his OKC team with Durant that actually did something in the playoffs that one year.

Known as what? Not as the Gators coach who won back-to-back titles but again, as a mediocre NBA coach. They don't know his OKC team with Durant that actually did something in the playoffs that one year.
I'm just saying his name brings credibility cause he's an NBA coach with two national championships. That goes further to a recruit who is told about it than when they hear the name Mark Pope which most people outside of Kentucky/Utah had no idea who that was.

I'm obviously hoping everything works out and I know this will take time. I'm just saying that despite not having portal experience, the name "Donovan" carries more weight.

We’re the next Indiana. Just got that feeling. I still can’t get on board with pope. Love him but I just don’t think he’s what we needed. I know I’m in the minority but I honestly felt better about Billy g than I do about pope’s hire
Well if you felt good about Billy G then maybe you shouldn't trust your gut anymore.

I'm just saying his name brings credibility cause he's an NBA coach with two national championships. That goes further to a recruit who is told about it than when they hear the name Mark Pope which most people outside of Kentucky/Utah had no idea who that was.

I'm obviously hoping everything works out and I know this will take time. I'm just saying that despite not having portal experience, the name "Donovan" carries more weight.
Exactly. People aren’t realizing this. They think pope is a rock star and he is, in this state. This hire would have been good as a coach in waiting with an easy transition like Hubert Davis and Jon scheyer. People need to prepare for a very down year or 2. If you’re willing to accept this than pope was not the right hire. We should expect to compete immediately

You guys worrying about every little thing and how it pertains to Cal must have a stressful life. Cal is gone. Move on. Take up drinking, it's fun

I love the optimism from some of you. Pope has already failed before the season begins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT