ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Tied For Highest Max Vertical at Combine

Feb 13, 2024
Reed had a max vertical of 42 inches. He tied with 3 others for having the best vertical. That really surprised me. Would have thought it would have been around 36”. Reeves’ max vert was 36”. That will definitely help him when added to what he showed in the game. Rob’s vertical wasn’t listed so I’m guessing he didn’t jump. I would have bet anything before hand that Rob had a better vertical than Reed just by what the two did when they had break away dunks.

Edwards only had a 32.5” vert. Not surprising given how many times the rim blocked his dunks. Kid made a terrible choice going pro.

Reed had a max vertical of 42 inches. He tied with 3 others for having the best vertical. That really surprised me. Would have thought it would have been around 36”. Reeves’ max vert was 36”. That will definitely help him when added to what he showed in the game. Rob’s vertical wasn’t listed so I’m guessing he didn’t jump. I would have bet anything before hand that Rob had a better vertical than Reed just by what the two did when they had break away dunks.

Edwards only had a 32.5” vert. Not surprising given how many times the rim blocked his dunks. Kid made a terrible choice going pro.

High Plains drifter.

Dillingham measured exactly 6’1” with only a 6’3” wingspan. That ain’t much length for a guy being talked about as a potential top 5 pick.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-

Not surprised at all on Edwards, I bet his wingspan is way less than most as well. He’s not explosive and that is max vertical, I bet his standing vertical is pretty bad compared to most prospects especially his size.

I'll say it again: every single analyst that ranked Edwards so high out of highschool should absolutely be ashamed. He never had elite anything and he was two years older than his competitors.
I was saying very early on last fall that Cal/we were hoping he would turn it on, that we Needed him to be a 'dude'. But also that he had not shown ANY area that he was good in, and there was no reason for him to be rated so high. Not athletic, not highly skilled.

I was saying very early on last fall that Cal/we were hoping he would turn it on, that we Needed him to be a 'dude'. But also that he had not shown ANY area that he was good in, and there was no reason for him to be rated so high. Not athletic, not highly skilled.
Since it's all about potential, I actually thought Thiero was a better prospect than Edwards in every way, including athletically. Edwards had a few games where he finally hit 3s, but even here I think Thiero will surpass Edwards (if he hasn't already) if he works on his 3pt. shooting. And the kicker is Thiero is younger. The only thing I could see that would keep folks promoting Edwards over Thiero was Edwards' high school recruiting ranking and the blind unquestioning belief that those rankings determine who is the best player - they don't even do that necessarily in regard to strictly high school players, and mean nothing in regard to who is the best player in college. Those rankings are best thought of as a forecast, a prediction of some future time based on perceived "talent" a/k/a potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: FtWorthCat
A very impressive vertical.
He's definitely got jumping in his genes!
sunglasses.gif

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Not surprised at all on Edwards, I bet his wingspan is way less than most as well. He’s not explosive and that is max vertical, I bet his standing vertical is pretty bad compared to most prospects especially his size.
Edwards standing reach was 8’6” and his wingspan was 6’10”. Wingspan was a better than I expected. His standing vertical was only 28 inches. Even worse, his lane agility was the slowest of the entire combine. Donavan Clingan had just a slightly better time making Justin the slowest.

Dalton Knecht probably made himself some money. He had a 39” vertical and had the fastest shuttle run time of the combine at 2.79 seconds.

I noticed Jaxson Robinson’s numbers all match up very close to Reeves’ so I’m assuming that’s the type athlete he is.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Reed is likely a top 3 or at least top 5 draft pick. He has ability to be a more athletic Steve Nash. Maybe not quite the shooter Nash was but really close. His IQ is 2nd to none in draft. Only draw back is a few times a gsme he does some really bone headed passes. That was likely just being young.

Really hoping Reed goes to San Antonio though as Wemby is the next great player.

Reed is likely a top 3 or at least top 5 draft pick. He has ability to be a more athletic Steve Nash. Maybe not quite the shooter Nash was but really close. His IQ is 2nd to none in draft. Only draw back is a few times a gsme he does some really bone headed passes. That was likely just being young.

Really hoping Reed goes to San Antonio though as Wemby is the next great player.
Yeah the carelessness with the ball puzzled me. He clearly has an IQ that’s beyond most anyone else on the court yet would throw some passes that made you think WTF. Didn’t seem like he started doing it until midway thru the season and would only do it every so often. I don’t know if it was overconfidence that lead him to throw some of the passes or what.

Yeah the carelessness with the ball puzzled me. He clearly has an IQ that’s beyond most anyone else on the court yet would throw some passes that made you think WTF. Didn’t seem like he started doing it until midway thru the season and would only do it every so often. I don’t know if it was overconfidence that lead him to throw some of the passes or what.
That was likely youth an getting a bog head from all the praise. But yeah he made some really bad passes an some at bad times. He will grow out of that shortly

Reactions: aikenite4uk
Edwards standing reach was 8’6” and his wingspan was 6’10”. Wingspan was a better than I expected. His standing vertical was only 28 inches. Even worse, his lane agility was the slowest of the entire combine. Donavan Clingan had just a slightly better time making Justin the slowest.

Dalton Knecht probably made himself some money. He had a 39” vertical and had the fastest shuttle run time of the combine at 2.79 seconds.

I noticed Jaxson Robinson’s numbers all match up very close to Reeves’ so I’m assuming that’s the type athlete he is.
Not surprised, that’s why he was so bad on defense. Cal didn’t prioritize guys who moved laterally well at all. Not surprised in Knecht at all. He better be picked very high. He’s a baller.

Reactions: Warf2012

I was thinking Mark Price or John Stockton.

I'll say it again: every single analyst that ranked Edwards so high out of highschool should absolutely be ashamed. He never had elite anything and he was two years older than his competitors.
Whoever gave him advice to enter his name without the possibility of going back screwed him too. However, someone might have told him he should go now before another year of college exposes more of his weaknesses. Someone had to have been paying off those talent evaluators. As you stated, it is now obvious why he missed so many dunk attempts.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Not surprised, that’s why he was so bad on defense. Cal didn’t prioritize guys who moved laterally well at all. Not surprised in Knecht at all. He better be picked very high. He’s a baller.
If I had the #1 pick...I'd trade down and take Knecht; he looks like the prototype for an NBA wing.

Nice company to keep with any of them. Stockton was the one he reminded me of to start. Some people seem to think comparing Sheppard to Stockton means you think he is already that good or don't realize Stockton wasn't as good as a college freshman. I doubt that Stockton was as good as Sheppard as a college freshman and I also doubt that Sheppard will ever be as good as Stockton became. But that is the ceiling and it's a high ceiling.

If I had the #1 pick...I'd trade down and take Knecht; he looks like the prototype for an NBA wing.
Me too honestly, I’d grab him early no doubt. I think he turns out better than a lot of projected lottery picks. I honestly feel like his career will have a higher ceiling that Sheppards because of his size alone. I think and hope Sheppard has an amazing NBA career. His combine numbers really jumped out at me though and shows how good of an athlete he really is. I just don’t know if he’s a #2-3 draft pick which I’ve seen some rumors he may in fact go that high.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Reed's vertical isn't all that surprising. I remember seeing a dunk he had in high school on a fast break and his elbows were almost above the rim. I think it was summer before Senior year, hell it may have been before Junior year.

Not sure why people are all that surprised, the guy blocked 3 pointers from the guard position. How many shorter guards do that?

Reed is a tremendous athlete, he is just not explosively quick. But what he lacks there he makes up for in IQ + other athletic attributes like body control.

Reactions: nptb and susan2361
It’s freaking mind-boggling. Usually guys that don’t live up to their rankings are great athletes that just hasn’t developed basketball skills yet like Hamidou Diallo and Khalil Whitney. What on earth did those guys see in Edwards?

As far as Sheppard, I wouldn’t have expected his vertical to be THAT good but it’s not super surprising. His dad had a couple crazy dunks for his size when he was there.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
What on earth did those guys see in Edwards?
What they missed was his age. Edwards turns 21 years old in December, he was around two years older than other top prospects in his class. Which is why he looked so far ahead of them when he was coming up on the AAU and HS circuits.

But that age difference is no longer working in his favor now that his younger classmates have caught up and surpassed him.

Reactions: susan2361
I'm glad you said John Stockton because I knew Reed reminded me of someone, but I couldn't put the name with the face. I used to like watching Stockton back in the good old days, when I did actually enjoy watching some pro games.🤣 But I don't now.
Thanks.

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

Reactions: Mike-McD
What they missed was his age. Edwards turns 21 years old in December, he was around two years older than other top prospects in his class. Which is why he looked so far ahead of them when he was coming up on the AAU and HS circuits.

But that age difference is no longer working in his favor now that his younger classmates have caught up and surpassed him.
This may sound like a stupid question, but how could Edwards be that much older? Did he start school late, did he fail a grade? I was just wondering about that. Anybody know? I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things. It's just one of those things that got in my head. Thanks in advance.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how could Edwards be that much older? Did he start school late, did he fail a grade? I was just wondering about that. Anybody know? I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things. It's just one of those things that got in my head. Thanks in advance.
That’s actually a good question, but I don’t know the answer. Not sure how he ended up so much older than the others in the class.

I’ve noticed in the past age is frequently the story when kids get overrated. Scouts rank players based on how they compare to those in the same class …overlooking the fact that they’re not always the same age. Sometimes a kid will look ahead of the others simply because he’s a bit older and thus further along in physical maturation.

• Love
Reactions: susan2361
Yeah several posters on this board kept believing he was going to breakthrough in some way and become this dynamic player. The majority of them were wanting that to be the case because they were Cal slurpers and their cognitive dissonance couldn't accept that kentucky boy Reed Sheppard was way more deserving of a starting role than Cals shiny new 5 star toy who he gave minutes to undeservingly.

It was somewhat rewarding to see these people be proved wrong and wrong again throughout the course of the season and to see Cal do so little with one of the most talented teams he has had all the while using every post game press conference to tell us how wrong the fans were about everything to do with lineups and. Pride has been Calipari's downfall these past few years and he continued to double down.

Rob did a spinning double back flip for his!

Yeah, but my only concern for him is what you said about the passes. They werent bonehead decision passes, they were panic passes. He had a tendency all year long to panic a little when the defense came at him tight on the dribble or when he drove into pressure.

It was almost out of character for him but you could see and feel him do it when the pressure defense came. He would give the ball up way too much of the time, many times without a plan of where to get it to someone, instead of having the confidence to break his man down off the dribble. I think he is better at that than even he thinks he his. But I've said this for a while now that this is what he has to fix and what concerns me for him at the next level.

That’s actually a good question, but I don’t know the answer. Not sure how he ended up so much older than the others in the class.

I’ve noticed in the past age is frequently the story when kids get overrated. Scouts rank players based on how they compare to those in the same class …overlooking the fact that they’re not always the same age. Sometimes a kid will look ahead of the others simply because he’s a bit older and thus further along in physical maturation.
Thanks for the reply!!

Reed's vertical isn't all that surprising. I remember seeing a dunk he had in high school on a fast break and his elbows were almost above the rim. I think it was summer before Senior year, hell it may have been before Junior year.

Not sure why people are all that surprised, the guy blocked 3 pointers from the guard position. How many shorter guards do that?

Reed is a tremendous athlete, he is just not explosively quick. But what he lacks there he makes up for in IQ + other athletic attributes like body control.
This 1000 percent. He's an elite athlete. He isn't super quick but he can jump really high and is fast. Quickness and speed are two different things.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT