ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard Interview (Talks Cal, Pope, & Fans)

thedahc

Sophomore
Aug 3, 2006
Love Reed, he is Kentucky kid through and through and had a legendary season at UK. He will always be one of my favorites.

Some of you turned on Reed real quick after his decision to go pro and some will no doubt turn on him after this interview.

Below is an interview from Reed at the combine he has some interesting thoughts:

On Cal 3:25: “Coach Cal, to me, was the best coach in the world,” Sheppard said. “He was unbelievable to me and all the players.”

On Pope 4:05: “He's going to do great things. He's a really good coach and has really good players”

On Fans 6:05: He says that which shall not be uttered.......“The fans were nuts”

Reactions: TrustinCal
Your first two paragraphs are really out of left field, bizarre inflammatory things and over the top hyperbole meant to completely overshadow the whole post you were making. It’s almost like you’re just trying to start an argument but then posting the clip to try and act like you’re not flaming. Why did you even approach it this way? The internet is such an odd, and a lot of times horrible space.

I don’t think people turned on Reed, at least not a ton of people. Most I saw agree with his decision to go pro as his stock will NEVER be higher.

I also disagree about him having a legendary season. He literally accomplished nothing outside of posting a high 3 point percentage and a high steal number. He won nothing.

I don’t think people turned on Reed, at least not a ton of people. Most I saw agree with his decision to go pro as his stock will NEVER be higher.

I also disagree about him having a legendary season. He literally accomplished nothing outside of posting a high 3 point percentage and a high steal number. He won nothing.
it would be legendary to me if I got to play for Kentucky. Relative to some, legendary to others.

Reed had his opportunity to become a Kentucky legend and opted to go pro instead.

He’s going to be a Top 5 pick. Financially, it would’ve been idiotic to come back.

With that being said, his career at UK is irrelevant. He won absolutely nothing important and laid a complete egg in his only NCAA tournament game appearance.

Until any of Cal’s players show loyalty to the program they played for and not just the coach they played for I don’t really care at all what happens in their careers.

Darius Miller won a title with Cal and was at Pope’s press conference, he’s the only legend of the last 15 years now as far as I’m concerned.

Reed’s time here will be remembered fondly. National Freshman of the Year. 52% from three. Clutch free throws at Florida. Flipped the game in the second half at Arkansas. Game winner at Mississippi St.

And I’m sure he’ll be around the program for years to come.

Absolutely could have finished better. Absolutely could have enhanced his legend with a return. But he isn’t and will never be some also ran as far as most Kentucky fans are concerned.

Reed had his opportunity to become a Kentucky legend and opted to go pro instead.

He’s going to be a Top 5 pick. Financially, it would’ve been idiotic to come back.

With that being said, his career at UK is irrelevant. He won absolutely nothing important and laid a complete egg in his only NCAA tournament game appearance.

Until any of Cal’s players show loyalty to the program they played for and not just the coach they played for I don’t really care at all what happens in their careers.

Darius Miller won a title with Cal and was at Pope’s press conference, he’s the only legend of the last 15 years now as far as I’m concerned.

What a load of crap. Anthony Davis is a legend.

Reed is about at the same level as Ulis for me.

Both outstanding players who had to go pro when they did because their stock was at peak value. Both also had disappointing endings to their time here with the obvious from last year, and Ulis Murray team losing in the second round. It just stings extra when you have player made for college like Ulis or Reed and they are so good all year but it doesn't translate to the tourney and they leave. I don't fault either of them though.

Having the chance to play the game you love for millions of dollars, setting yourself up and your family to come for life trumps being considered a “UK legend” in some fringe and frankly, bitter fans minds.

Any fan that says they would’ve done any different is full of crap. He will always be loved and well received at UK by fans even more so than many others that “won something.” The Harrison twins get trashed on here all the time and they led the team to b2b final fours. On the other end of the spectrum, Rex Chapman gets God status in many fans minds for making a s16.

Just a lot of sour grapes.

Reactions: thedahc and UKgal82
Well number one that was about as far from a legendary season as we have had since…… St Peters season 🙈😊

Number 2….. best coach in the world and Cal may possibly never mentioned in the same sentence ever before.

I’m losing some love for Reed, but that’s my own conundrum I reckon lol

Love Reed, he is Kentucky kid through and through and had a legendary season at UK. He will always be one of my favorites.

Some of you turned on Reed real quick after his decision to go pro and some will no doubt turn on him after this interview.

Below is an interview from Reed at the combine he has some interesting thoughts:

On Cal 3:25: “Coach Cal, to me, was the best coach in the world,” Sheppard said. “He was unbelievable to me and all the players.”

On Pope 4:05: “He's going to do great things. He's a really good coach and has really good players”

On Fans 6:05: He says that which shall not be uttered.......“The fans were nuts”

Do you have examples of this or just shooting shit from your mouth?

Honestly haven't seen many negative comments about Reed. Some thought his dream was playing at UK not going to the NBA but I haven't seen many people take shots at Reed.

Reactions: Montana81
Reed has too much class to publicly criticize or say negative things about his coaches, teammates etc. even if he really feels otherwise. He’s currently a top five pick. Don’t know what you expect him to say.
OP wants Reeds statement on Cal to be used as proof Cal handled this past seasons roster correctly and the players were happy with how he handled it. Ever heard of “coach speak?” Well this is “player speak.”

This will be a very loud debate for years to come. It’s simple. Reed was a great talent and exciting player. That’s exaggerated by many people’s love what Jeff accomplished in hopes that his son would have a similar storybook journey. It didn’t happen. That’s okay. Remember him how you wish. I’ll remember a great kid who played hard and wore the jersey well.

We should not be bitter at him that he didn’t aspire to be the legend at UK we wanted him to be. Furthermore, nobody should really call out fans for speaking truth either. Reed will never be a legend at UK. Legendary status is reserved for those who leave their mark with team success or great records that stand the test of time. Those who win… and win again. His goal was beyond that and had a unique opportunity to take advantage of possibly the weakest draft in years to cash in. None of us can begrudge him that. Wish him well and move on.

Jeff played while I was there and loved him as a Cat. I sincerely hoped Reed would run it back. Didn’t happen. Oh well.

Great kid from a great family.

The Cal era is finally… mercifully… over!

We should be thankful for that fellas!!!

No more University of Calipari!

Let’s move forward under the new leader… hoping for great things ahead.

Go Big Blue

I agree, but why is that? Do you honestly believe their seasons at UK are similar or even remotely comparable?
The person that he was responding to said that Miller was the only legend from the last 15 years because he won a title and showed up for Pope’s press conference. It’s not like Davis didn’t have more pressing business at that time lol.

I would never criticize Reed for doing what I would do or recommend my son do —take the quickest path to life-changing money that will assure security for your family forever as long as you aren’t stupid with it.

But I’d admit while making that decision that there are consequences that come with it; that any dreams I had to be seen as anything but a one-year player whose career ended in an embarrassing disaster are gone.

Again, I’d do what Reed is doing. But I’d know better than to believe I’d be seen as a “legend.”

The person that he was responding to said that Miller was the only legend from the last 15 years because he won a title and showed up for Pope’s press conference. It’s not like Davis didn’t have more pressing business at that time lol.
What does showing up to his press conference have to do with being considered a legend? I believe his point is that Miller wasn’t a drive-by player and actually was a major part of achieving a championship here and making a final four. Him showing up to a press conference has nothing to do with Davis. It is more to do with being openly supportive of our coach regardless of never playing with or for him.

Last edited:
I liked Reed and happy we had him. But legendary season? I’m not sure 1 year of 12 ppg and zero tournament wins is exactly legendary. But he was a solid player on what became another forgettable season.
Yes, legendary. People can be unhappy and try to rewrite history to fit their narrative.

But Reed won multiple national freshman of the year awards.

He was only the third player in UK HISTORY to receive the honor, joining the likes of John Wall (2010) and Anthony Davis (2012)

Historic and legendary.

Only 3 players in UK history have won national freshman of the year. John Wall, Anthony Davis, Reed Sheppard. That's it, that's the list.

Pretty historic season for that young man.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Yes, legendary. People can be unhappy and try to rewrite history to fit their narrative.

But Reed won multiple national freshman of the year awards.

He was only the third player in UK HISTORY to receive the honor, joining the likes of John Wall (2010) and Anthony Davis (2012)

Historic and legendary.

Which part of history would you say I rewrote? 12 ppg and 0 tournament wins aren’t my opinion. Those are just stats.

Anthony Davis also won NPOY and an NCAA title. John Wall was in the running for NPOY year losing to Evan Turner and his team was an off day away from the FF after winning the SEC tourney.

So I think if anyone is rewriting to fit their narrative, it isn’t the crowd who’s not ready to hang Reed’s jersey in the rafters.

Again Reed had a great year and I’m really glad he played here. If his dad wasn’t a UK legend, Reed is remembered in the same light as James Young. Solid, but nothing to write home about.

Reactions: RunninRichie
We’ll see if you’re still saying that when Davis is sitting courtside at Bud Walton Arena next season rooting for his former coach and doesn’t show his face around Lexington again.
Checks notes.... Yep, still a UK legend.

Only 3 players in UK history have won national freshman of the year. John Wall, Anthony Davis, Reed Sheppard. That's it, that's the list.

Pretty historic season for that young man.
What was historic about it? I was talking about him winning a game that mattered. What exactly was legendary and historic about his season? Absolutely nothing….

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Your first two paragraphs are really out of left field, bizarre inflammatory things and over the top hyperbole meant to completely overshadow the whole post you were making. It’s almost like you’re just trying to start an argument but then posting the clip to try and act like you’re not flaming. Why did you even approach it this way? The internet is such an odd, and a lot of times horrible space.
Internet anonymity let's people say a lot of strange things.

His dad, Mash, Turner, Delk, Walker and all those guys from the 90s will always be my favorite and most fondly remembered UK players. Reed got a leg up in everyone's mind for that and being a Kentucky kid.

And one person saying players are dead to them after they leave doesn't equal everyone turning on Reed. Almost no one did and when he comes back to be the Y, he'll get a standing ovation. As would AD or John Wall.

But legend status, no. Personal favorite to many, definitely.

Reed sure gives a lot of high praise to Cal. According to what many people say on here, Reed and the Sheppards hate Cal and Reed accomplished everything in spite of Cal.

Who to beleive?!?!?!?

A was
Reed sure gives a lot of high praise to Cal. According to what many people say on here, Reed and the Sheppards hate Cal and Reed accomplished everything in spite of Cal.

Who to beleive?!?!?!?
Not saying I know either way, because I don’t, but if he did hate him, how would you expect him to respond to the media about him? He’s a kid trying to get drafted as high as possible, I don’t think bad mouthing your college coach would be a wise decision at this stage in the game.

A was

Not saying I know either way, because I don’t, but if he did hate him, how would you expect him to respond to the media about him? He’s a kid trying to get drafted as high as possible, I don’t think bad mouthing your college coach would be a wise decision at this stage in the game.
He wouldn't have to say anything, and certainly not that he thinks Cal is the best coach in the world. He could have simply said he appreciated the opportunity to play at UK and appreciated Cal. Instead, he gave a glowing recommendation in defense of Cal.

Nobody turned on him. The better description is SOME were left a little deflated over it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT