ADVERTISEMENT

Reed and Rob at Draft Lottery

I think you can almost guarantee Reed or Dilly going to the spurs. They need a guard to go with Wemby and 99.9% sure one will be there for them.

I personally want to stay away from the Uconn guys, just because I think they might be a litttttle bit more of system players. Where as Cal held back guys like Reed and Dilly.. Hurley made guy like Hawkins and Castle. That's not to say they aren't great players.. but I think you could be making a mistake taking them as high as they rated.
I think Clingan will be a good pro. Castle is very good and I like Spencer’s game but I don’t know how it will translate to the pros.

What the hell does my comment have to do with wanting or not wanting anyone to leave? Looking at it from a business decision, which it is for Reed or any of these guys, leaving when he’s universally considered a lottery pick is the right move. He then has three or four years to prove why he should get that second contract, all while being able to dedicate far more hours into getting better/stronger.
Because ALL CAL TALKED ABOUT was the NBA, "business decisions". Pope is trying to change that mentaliity that has filtrated down into the fanbase. It needs to be more decision-making based around the college game, and wanting to come back to UK for another season. Some folks are just not on board with that. Hopefully Pope is able to convince more folks.

And I couldn't possibly care less what a kid does after he leaves here. There's always some excuse about why it's good for someone leave for the draft. What I care about is what they do HERE, how they help MY program. That's one of the reasons I'm glad we have Pope.
Your caring isn't relevant to the the decision making process and having a decision making process that doesn't account for your feelings is not an excuse.

Reed Sheppard doesn't need your consent or acceptance about his life decisions, particularly since you openly admit you don't care what is best for him beyond a possible four year window for your own entertainment or what his future is other than that so why would he?

Pope will have some one and dones too or he is most likely in deep shit so that weird hope is in vain as well.

I could be wrong, but it seems like a Calipari worshipper, and someone here who loves the NBA more than they do UK basketball. Cal always talked about the one who goes yip :)
Then why continue to go after just you? There are plenty of others on here who hate Cal with a burning passion.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Your caring isn't relevant to the the decision making process and having a decision making process that doesn't account for your feelings is not an excuse.

Reed Sheppard doesn't need your consent or acceptance about his life decisions, particularly since you openly admit you don't care what is best for him beyond a possible four year window for your own entertainment or what his future is other than that so why would he?

Pope will have some one and dones too or he is most likely in deep shit so that weird hope is in vain as well.
We're UK-first fans here. You clearly are NBA-first. Own it.

Then why continue to go after just you? There are plenty of others on here who hate Cal with a burning passion.
Because I try to bring both sides (NBA, college) together, from the angle of a UK-first fan, and it drives them bonkers. Otherwise, no idea. :/

Reactions: Fox2monk
I love Reed, and he's a very fine player... but heart can't convince my eyes and brain that Reed should be a lottery pick. I know I'll be beaten up for that, but I just don't see it. He's not nearly quick enough to be a great defender on thr NBA level. He has a great shot, yes, but he seemed shy about it a lot. For every great pass, there was a low level Freshman pass attempt. Really not trying to bash the kid. Again, I like Reed, and he's a fine player. I just don't see lottery level. Yeah yeah, I know the rebuttal is; "potential" and "still young". I know. We'll see.
It's a different game now. He can just shoot for a few years until he grows into a player just like how Herro and Booker did. Those guys weren't close to ready either. NBA defense isn't the same so it's not like being physically weaker is a huge negative anymore... he can shoot foul shots well. LOL.

Last four seasons:

3 lottery picks (Sheppard, Dillingham, Wallace).
5 to 7 first round picks (counting Reeves and possibly Edwards).
1 National Player of the Year (Oscar).
8 to 9 NBA draft picks.
12 to 14 future or current NBA players.

One tournament win.

Anything Pope does will be an instant upgrade, given the level of talent we've had with the absence of substantial payoff.
Greatest underachiever in college basketball, no one else is close. That said, I wholeheartedly believe we have the right man for the job and we’re on the way back to greatness! GO COACH POPE. GO BIG BLUE!

This is what’s sad and we couldn’t even beat Oakland with 2 projected top 5 picks! Congratulations Arkansas he’s your problem now…….

My problem with Reed and Rob and Cal taking credit.... He did squat for either of those 2 guys. If anything he held them back. Those guys got where they are despite Cal not because of Cal.

Because ALL CAL TALKED ABOUT was the NBA, "business decisions". Pope is trying to change that mentaliity that has filtrated down into the fanbase. It needs to be more decision-making based around the college game, and wanting to come back to UK for another season. Some folks are just not on board with that. Hopefully Pope is able to convince more folks.
Please explain how anything I said had anything to do with Cal or Pope?

As a Cats fan, I absolutely wish Reed was coming back. Looking at it from a player’s perspective? Go, no question.

So again, please explain how what I said had anything to do with what you responded with?

This was absolutely the best individual decision that Reed could make . Staying four years would have been the worst decision .

This is looking like it could be the worst draft ever in a lot of folks eyes . That alone made it a good decision by Reed to me .
You gonna get blasted by some for saying it was smart of Reed. It was, but some will be pissy you didn’t prioritize his future for their entertainment. In their eyes you can no longer work on your game once you get drafted, while in fact you have a lot more time to work on it.

Last edited:
I think you can almost guarantee Reed or Dilly going to the spurs. They need a guard to go with Wemby and 99.9% sure one will be there for them.

I personally want to stay away from the Uconn guys, just because I think they might be a litttttle bit more of system players. Where as Cal held back guys like Reed and Dilly.. Hurley made guy like Hawkins and Castle. That's not to say they aren't great players.. but I think you could be making a mistake taking them as high as they rated.
I believe rob (and maybe reed) will be the better pro then the both of them, however, There is videos surfacing around of clingan knocking down multiple movement threes in a row and castle being a 5th option on a objectively generational team averaging double digets grabbing mutible rebounds and being an ultimate lock box on the opposing teams best player.

I have said it before. Reed had above avg athletic ability for the college game. For the NBA game, he will be avg at best. That does not mean he can't thrive, as there has been countless examples of those that do. But you have to be on point with the rest of your game, and play above your age. That, is where I think Reed is behind. Unless you are Uber athletic, you really have one shot to make it to your 2nd contract. I think Reed will only have 2 years to make his mark, or he will be drafted over and cut at the end of his rookie contract. I really thought his best option would have been to stay for 2-3 years and hone his game in college, then make the jump as a more complete player and take a shot at a 2nd contract. He is risking alot, but going early with that many glaring holes in his game, and does not have that Uber athletic ability to cover those weaknesses.

The people in this thread saying Reed should have stayed because he isn’t good enough are truly bizarre. That is about the most twisted, backwards logic I’ve ever heard. This isn’t medical school. People aren’t going to die if Reed isn’t a finished product. Someone is going to pay him about 30 million dollars. Even if he’s a total bust, his kids will never have to work. Their kids, too, if he invests it right (which he will because Jeff is in that business). Anyone saying he needed another year is totally selfish and hypocritical. Or just plain dumb.

Last edited:
You'd better consult an optometrist if that is what is "clear" to you though I tend to chalk it closer to cognitive impairment.
Cognitive impairment? Lol, no. It's just that so e on here are pushing for the players to get to the NBA any way possible. NBA-first is one of the reasons Calipari is no longer here.

It's a different game now. He can just shoot for a few years until he grows into a player just like how Herro and Booker did. Those guys weren't close to ready either. NBA defense isn't the same so it's not like being physically weaker is a huge negative anymore... he can shoot foul shots well. LOL.
I don't have a problem with your thought process. ...except, Reed seemed pretty timid a lot of time in turns of letting it fly. I don't remember Hero or Booker being like that at theor college ages. So, if Reed didn't feel confident letting it fly in college, I'm not sure how that changes in the NBA. Again, I get he's got growing to do. And we'll see. We're all routing for him. But when I see a mock with Reed going number #3, it just makes me scratch my head.

Again, my issue isn't with Reed going. Get your money! My issue is with a GM that thinks he's a top 7ish pick. I do not see it.

The ball watching is likely related to confidence and just that general "lost" feeling we saw in him, numerous times this season. I compare him to Herro. Right? Similarly ranked players. But Herro had that confidence day 1. He wanted the final shot. You could tell he was ready for the NBA, from a mental standpoint, after just a few games. Reed doesn't have that right now.

But, other than that.. he has no other real areas of concern. Not worried about defense from a freshman, on a team that didn't seem to play any defense at all. He's got NBA range, he has a sky-high IQ. He can pass. He can play the point or off the ball. He's crafty. There's a reason he's a top5 lottery pick right now.
IMO the ball-watching is simply from his overall lack of speed. Many of these fast twitch athletes can commit to one play and then recover if it was a failure. Reed gets one shot because he can not about face and recover like a longer, bouncier athlete can. That’s why he’s sitting on plays and thinking/timing/watching for his one move. It also why he is good at getting steals, but gets burned a lot too.

As someone who is long limbed and bouncy I felt like could get to anyone on the court anywhere. Gambling and still getting back to make a play. As I’ve aged and slowed I’ve gone from guarding a whole side of the court to having to focus my energy on my man. 90% of my game is about positioning now vs just jumping over someone or running past them.

Four? Who's suggesting that? He didn't even stay two years. And his game clearly needs work.

Would you have him improve on 52% from 3, one of the highest offensive efficiency guys in the nation, or school record in steals?

Any defensive issues were all team defense/ coaching.

His stock was literally never getting higher. Throw in an all time awful draft and it was a no brainer.

Cognitive impairment? Lol, no. It's just that so e on here are pushing for the players to get to the NBA any way possible. NBA-first is one of the reasons Calipari is no longer here.
Saying it’s a smart decision for a guy to go to the league/make guaranteed millions does not mean we want him to leave UK. Why is that so hard to understand?

I couldn't care less. I wish it was not a topic of discussion. I can't wait until we no longer care about one and done draft picks. And yes I include Reed Shepard in that group. I don't care about there outfits or the drama surrounding the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT