ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

CES won't hit below the Mendoza line forever. 2 hits in the Monday loss and .276 over the last week factoring in the 0-4 yesterday. He probably is the least of my concerns in the IF. My point with Steer coming back to the infield temporarily to put forth a better offensive lineup is a way to bring some offensive production there and can get someone like Martini more playing time in the corner outfield.
I said this very thing 2 weeks ago about Steer. It is about finding ways to put forth the best players in the lineup everyday.

I said this very thing 2 weeks ago about Steer. It is about finding ways to put forth the best players in the lineup everyday.
India is now 0 for his last 22 and our idiot manager continues to bat him leadoff. He needs to sit for quite awhile. Move Steer in and play Fairchild more, I guess thats your only option. But India is really, really bad.

Reactions: dtjr and kybloo92
Reds are hamstrung in that Steer, CES and EDLC are the only real ML talent they have(Marte/McCain figure in but they aren't available) then are further hamstrung by Bell's bizarre batting lineups that spread those three out thereby making it easy to pitch around them. Long year.

Reactions: M4CAT
Right, a lineup with only 2 hitters hitting above .219 is a 'better team' than Cincinnati. Reds with 6 starters hitting better than that. Not buying that one at all. This is a failure by the Reds to capitalize on a team that only had 6 wins before the serious. That is a joke. This team has a long ways to go and beating up on shitty pitching over the weekend proved nothing as it did not carry over into this series.

Good call on who the better team was.

You really don't want to argue baseball w/ me....you will lose. Every time.

Good call on who the better team was.

You really don't want to argue baseball w/ me....you will lose. Every time.
You're right, I was wrong. A single April series makes them the better team with that logic since we got swept. If Cincinnati had won only 6 games all year going into Seattle and swept this series, I'm sure it would have been spun the other way around. Guess those Reds were better than the World Series Champion Texas Rangers since Cincinnati swept the Ranger last year, right?? Go root for the Dodgers or some other team. Your schtick is tiresome. Clearly not a Reds fan, just a damn troll. Real fans don't seize every moment to put the team down and gloat about it. At least objective and rational fans find positives when they are there, criticize when warranted. The only time you come around is when they lose, no where to be found after winning in Philadelphia. I will be here every day, win or lose. I bet it burns your ass that EDLC is tied for the 6th most runs scored in all of MLB.

Last edited:
Reactions: trueblujr2
Reds are hamstrung in that Steer, CES and EDLC are the only real ML talent they have(Marte/McCain figure in but they aren't available) then are further hamstrung by Bell's bizarre batting lineups that spread those three out thereby making it easy to pitch around them. Long year.
Friedl's absence as a catalyst at the top of the order is really killing this team too. Even if he regresses from the solid 2023 season, I don't think it would have been a drastic drop. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season with all of that infield depth that they would be short quality infielders on April 17th. Martini should be starting everyday whether it is in the outfield or DH. Can free up Steer to move him around. Mike Ford was hot during spring training and has a few years of ML experience that he should be DHing instead of forcing these unproductive hitters in the lineup out of necessity.

Reactions: dtjr
Friedl's absence as a catalyst at the top of the order is really killing this team too. Even if he regresses from the solid 2023 season, I don't think it would have been a drastic drop. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season with all of that infield depth that they would be short quality infielders on April 17th. Martini should be starting everyday whether it is in the outfield or DH. Can free up Steer to move him around. Mike Ford was hot during spring training and has a few years of ML experience that he should be DHing instead of forcing these unproductive hitters in the lineup out of necessity.
Expecting Freidl to return to more normal(for him) numbers on his return but he definitely brings more to the table than India who has been a monumental flop.

The Mariners record at this stage of the season is irrelevant. They have a better team than the Reds, whose record is definitely fools gold.

KKKKKruz w/ another base running blunder to kill a rally.
I see you go quiet when EDLC goes on a tear. What the hell did that kid due to you to deserve you knocking him with literally EVERY SINGLE POST you make in this forum. He leads the team in Home runs, Runs Scored, Batting Average, Stolen Bases and slugging. Hes second in OPS and hits. So he made a base running error and it's "SEND HIM BACK TO THE MINORS!!" What your take on Will Benson. don't ever see you griping about him. He has the same number of K's as EDLC in fewer AB's.

Your constant attacks on EDLC look foolish because the good he's done has FAR outweighed the youthful mistakes he's made.

Expecting Freidl to return to more normal(for him) numbers on his return but he definitely brings more to the table than India who has been a monumental flop.
Should Steer be leading off? or heck, even Fraley until Friedl gets back?

Should Steer be leading off? or heck, even Fraley until Friedl gets back?
For the next little bit I'd probably lead off Fairchild. Then EDLC 2, Steer 3, CES 4 probably Fraley 5. Look at LAD...they bat Betts, Ohtani, Freeman back to back to back. Spreading out your 3 best hitter the way Bell is doing it is stupid, makes it easier to pitch to guys. Plus your getting one less AB to a couple of guys. With this lineup CES is likely to bat with a base runner or two on, would likely see more fast balls.

I think it's a little more important to have Steer behind CES as it enhances the likelihood CES sees better pitches; CES solves a whole bunch of problems when he gets dialed in because in the early going he really was hitting the ball hard into outs.

Friedl being out and McClain being out is just killing this lineup; that's your everyday leadoff and number two hitter in the lineup and they both are catalysts in very different ways and stabilize the middle of the park defensively.

Reactions: kybloo92
Friedl being out and McClain being out is just killing this lineup; that's your everyday leadoff and number two hitter in the lineup and they both are catalysts in very different ways and stabilize the middle of the park defensively.

Agree 100% with the above

Reactions: kybloo92
This lineup up tonight has about 5 Guys hitting .220 or less. Bunch of wet noodles. Hard to score.

The 3 stolen bases puts him in the lead as of this moment pending the outcome of the games tonight to still be played.

Reactions: dtjr
8 1/3 scoreless innings by the bullpen to finish off the sweep of the Angels. Diaz saves in consecutive games. Tomorrow is a Hunter Greene game so odds are they will have to pick up a few more innings.

Reactions: mrschwump
Good Lord
That is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy with Bell.
I would like to see Elly in the 2 hole and everyone else slid down, but other than that, what am I missing?? India is sick, and sucks anyway. Fraley hits like .010 vs lefties. Benson is absolutely God awful this year, needs time off after the dispshit manager batted him 2nd yesterday.

I am far from a Bell fan, think he's awful. Im just not sure what he is supposed to do with what he has available. The one thing that drives me crazy is having Elly that far down in the lineup. He would see even more pitches in the 2 hole with Steer behind him, and Ill never understand a manager that separates their best hitters. No other manager does that. Hes an idiot.

Reactions: mrschwump and M4CAT
I would like to see Elly in the 2 hole and everyone else slid down, but other than that, what am I missing?? India is sick, and sucks anyway. Fraley hits like .010 vs lefties. Benson is absolutely God awful this year, needs time off after the dispshit manager batted him 2nd yesterday.

I am far from a Bell fan, think he's awful. Im just not sure what he is supposed to do with what he has available. The one thing that drives me crazy is having Elly that far down in the lineup. He would see even more pitches in the 2 hole with Steer behind him, and Ill never understand a manager that separates their best hitters. No other manager does that. Hes an idiot.
Why Bell insists on spacing out Steer, EDLC, CES is beyond me. That's the only true ML hitters the Reds have. To space them out is crazy plus you bat a guy 6th or below and you're probably costing them an AB per game. Idea should be to get your best hitters more ABs, not less. Steer, EDLC, CES should be penciled in 2, 3, 4 every game with others fitted in around them. Look at LAD...Betts, Ohtani, Freeman 1, 2, 3.

Why Bell insists on spacing out Steer, EDLC, CES is beyond me. That's the only true ML hitters the Reds have. To space them out is crazy plus you bat a guy 6th or below and you're probably costing them an AB per game. Idea should be to get your best hitters more ABs, not less. Steer, EDLC, CES should be penciled in 2, 3, 4 every game with others fitted in around them. Look at LAD...Betts, Ohtani, Freeman 1, 2, 3.
Agree completely. Every team does it except our dipshit. Elly batting 6th is like Juan Soto in the 6 hole for the Yanks. Its infuriating.

OT, but MLB needs a lot more pitchers like Ranger Suarez and a lot less like Hunter Greene, although HG did make it through 7 innings tonight, first time since September that he completed seven innings, maybe he will develop into a top starter someday.

But, it is a joy to watch a guy like Suarez pitch, 7 innings in about 80 pitches, nearly all of which were low 90s, or slower, below the knees, a lot like Greg Maddux used to pitch.

Reactions: CalCat57
Trotting out Bubba Thompson is criminal.

Pretty frustrating that Greene and Sims have the best stuff on the staff but the least idea what to do with it.

OT, but MLB needs a lot more pitchers like Ranger Suarez and a lot less like Hunter Greene, although HG did make it through 7 innings tonight, first time since September that he completed seven innings, maybe he will develop into a top starter someday.

But, it is a joy to watch a guy like Suarez pitch, 7 innings in about 80 pitches, nearly all of which were low 90s, or slower, below the knees, a lot like Greg Maddux used to pitch.
Greene did save the bullpen tonight so that was a plus. I have been critical of him and not going deep into games was one reason why so this was nice to see despite the 4 runs on the board. Not a very good offensive lineup with people out sick, all of the injuries mounting up and players struggling but this was not going to be an easy game with Suarez now on a 25-inning scoreless streak.

Last edited:
Trotting out Bubba Thompson is criminal.

Pretty frustrating that Greene and Sims have the best stuff on the staff but the least idea what to do with it.
Hunter Greene may have the most velocity on the team but hardly the best stuff on the pitching staff. On average this year, he relies on a 4-seam fastball 50% of the time, a slider about 40% of his pitches and a splitter and curveball that he doesn't trust to go to very often. Tonight, he relied even heavier on the four-seamer for over 61% of his pitches.

Frankie Montas & Nick Martinez have a deeper repertoire to reach into. Montas with a four-seamer, splitter, sinker, cutter and a slider. Martinez with a cutter, changeup, four-seamer, sinker, curveball and a slider.

GLzwdYOX0AAP5XM

Suarez sliced and diced the Reds, he was brilliant.

Reactions: Tskware
Last night's start was critical for Greene because he absolutely had to eat innings up and everybody in the franchise knew it; so he went heavy on the fastball from the outset to get ahead of hitters. He stayed out of the big inning which has dogged him and he scattered hits for the most part.

The Reds are in a really critical stretch through May where they are playing some of the best in MLB and it's outside of the Central; theoretically they should lose ground on the Brewers. Losing Montas for three starts is tough. Having Lodolo back is important and it will interesting to see what Abbott gives them tonight; they need 6-7 strong from him tonight every bit as much as they did last night from Greene. But he needs run support and whatever is going through the Reds Clubhouse is hurting them with the everyday lineup. Any lineup that includes Espinal is one that is basically playing with 8 at bats.

Last night's start was critical for Greene because he absolutely had to eat innings up and everybody in the franchise knew it; so he went heavy on the fastball from the outset to get ahead of hitters. He stayed out of the big inning which has dogged him and he scattered hits for the most part.

The Reds are in a really critical stretch through May where they are playing some of the best in MLB and it's outside of the Central; theoretically they should lose ground on the Brewers. Losing Montas for three starts is tough. Having Lodolo back is important and it will interesting to see what Abbott gives them tonight; they need 6-7 strong from him tonight every bit as much as they did last night from Greene. But he needs run support and whatever is going through the Reds Clubhouse is hurting them with the everyday lineup. Any lineup that includes Espinal is one that is basically playing with 8 at bats.
Add Bubba to your Espinal comment, neither are ML level.

Reactions: CalCat57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT