ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

giphy.gif

Cincinnati has Bieber Fever! LFG!!!!!!!

That might be a fake out tweet. Can't find anything anywhere else on this.
I wish sites like this would quit doing this shit to fans. Between Blog Red Machine, Nati Sports and one more that I can't recall off the top of my head (blocked them out) tweet out hot takes, hypothetical scenarios and post their thoughts just like us fans but have a much bigger platform. Attention seeking tweets and articles, clickbait at its finest. I said as much on the last page of this thread calling out those people in the media.

It might have something to do with the fact the Reds made a drastic turnaround in 2023 right after losing 100 games to be in the running for a postseason spot on the last weekend while playing injured. The future is still bright but it would be nice if the media or whoever sending these mixed signals about the Reds adding this or that, being buyers back at the trade deadline would just let it play out. Health will be the biggest factor in if the Reds are going to be successful or not in 2024.

Reactions: CB3UK
I wish sites like this would quit doing this shit to fans. Between Blog Red Machine, Nati Sports and one more that I can't recall off the top of my head (blocked them out) tweet out hot takes, hypothetical scenarios and post their thoughts just like us fans but have a much bigger platform. Attention seeking tweets and articles, clickbait at its finest. I said as much on the last page of this thread calling out those people in the media.
Yep, I don't do Twitter, despise it, so I do not know whats real or not. My buddy who is a huge Reds fan sent it to me, so I assumed it was real. Hope it is, but I doubt it now that I look at it.

Might be another Raisel Iglesias type swingman pitcher. Previously used as a starter, primarily been used out of the bullpen in recent years.
I would gladly take another Raisel Iglesias if Rodriguez could fill a setup role and give multiple innings in relief as a long man/rubber arm that could start. I don't think fans appreciated what they had in Iglesias while he was a Red. He was the closer on the best team in all of MLB last year in Atlanta and while in Cincinnati, outside of his rookie year used as a starter, only 1 other year with an ERA above 2.74. Bryan Spalding out there saying this is a risky move because he is 26. I disagree with that logic. Not like he's on the wrong side of 30 yet. Many of these foreign players come out around their mid 20s. Not seeing what the 'risk' compared to any other international signing. Does he have a significant injury history from the past? Said nothing about that.

At this point, I'll have to see it to believe it for the Reds to make a big time trade for an ace if they have not done so already despite the fact they really could use one to go far in October. Just like the Reds to let the rest of the teams beat them and have to overpay for what is left on the open market. I like the moves KC made for their franchise getting Wacha, Lugo & Will Smith that they could easily flip for decent prospects while rebuilding and in the meantime have some solid veterans for a team that needed the help.

Last edited:
I would gladly take another Raisel Iglesias if Rodriguez could fill a setup role and give multiple innings in relief as a long man/rubber arm that could start. I don't think fans appreciated what they had in Iglesias while he was a Red. He was the closer on the best team in all of MLB last year in Atlanta and while in Cincinnati, outside of his rookie year used as a starter, only 1 other year with an ERA above 2.74. Bryan Spalding out there saying this is a risky move because he is 26. I disagree with that logic. Not like he's on the wrong side of 30 yet. Many of these foreign players come out around their mid 20s. Not seeing what the 'risk' compared to any other international signing. Does he have a significant injury history from the past? Said nothing about that.

At this point, I'll have to see it to believe it for the Reds to make a big time trade for an ace if they have not done so already despite the fact they really could use one to go far in October. Just like the Reds to let the rest of the teams beat them and have to overpay for what is left on the open market. I like the moves KC made for their franchise getting Wacha, Lugo & Will Smith that they could easily flip for decent prospects while rebuilding and in the meantime have some solid veterans for a team that needed the help.
Read where the Blue Jays have emerged as the favorite for Rodriguez.

I remember just 2 years ago how Montas and Castillo were the 2 hot trade targets on the SP market at the deadline. Hasn't been healthy since but if he regains his form from his day in Oakland I like this move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tskware and CB3UK
I remember just 2 years ago how Montas and Castillo were the 2 hot trade targets on the SP market at the deadline. Hasn't been healthy since but if he regains his form from his day in Oakland I like this move.
Past PED user that has never topped 187 innings in a year. Marginal postseason experience. Nice depth piece but an expensive one for a guy that still doesn't fit the bill for someone that could carry them deep on a postseason run with proven experience doing so. For the Reds though, it's a decent signing since expecting more will leave you disappointed. Didn't have to give up any prospects. Their unwillingness to do so will have me concerned if they needed to move some of their prospects at the deadline in another worst case scenario in which they did nothing last deadline.

Past PED user that has never topped 187 innings in a year. Marginal postseason experience. Nice depth piece but an expensive one for a guy that still doesn't fit the bill for someone that could carry them deep on a postseason run with proven experience doing so. For the Reds though, it's a decent signing since expecting more will leave you disappointed. Didn't have to give up any prospects. Their unwillingness to do so will have me concerned if they needed to move some of their prospects at the deadline in another worst case scenario in which they did nothing last deadline.
Was 4th in the AL Cy Young Votes in the 187 inning season in 2021. As long as the Reds can stay healthy with the SP rotation, they won't need to ride him into the ground like Oakland did.

It's a gamble with his past health issues but it could definitely pay off for us.

It's funny when people bitch about the Reds not paying for players and on the other hand complain when they spend too much money for a player stating that they are too expensive. This is a much better plan than Overton, Cessa and Weaver a year ago. If all goes well, the Reds will stay relatively healthy in the rotation and his presence will not make or break the season in the rotation. Postseason experience has to begin somewhere and he is a veteran with a win in October already for a small market team like Oakland.

It's funny when people bitch about the Reds not paying for players and on the other hand complain when they spend too much money for a player stating that they are too expensive. This is a much better plan than Overton, Cessa and Weaver a year ago. If all goes well, the Reds will stay relatively healthy in the rotation and his presence will not make or break the season in the rotation. Postseason experience has to begin somewhere and he is a veteran with a win in October already for a small market team like Oakland.
Not bitching about the fact the Reds spent money. Glad they did. Just don't want to see it burned on damaged goods like Moustakas when Montas indeed has struggled with injuries his entire career. Read somewhere the Reds have spent over $50 million in offseason upgrades. I don't think any one of these guys make the Reds World Series contenders, the young guys they have are the ones who will get the Reds to that point should they ever seriously contend for the NL Pennant. If Cincinnati had used their assets combined that they have spent, could have afforded to bring back Sonny Gray plus sign a Eduardo Rodriguez or Michael Lorenzen with that $50 million and push back some starters in the organization to convert them to relievers. It's about being smart with the money and not slinging it around to make any acquisition to the franchise for the hell of doing so.

Reactions: jameslee32
Not bitching about the fact the Reds spent money. Glad they did. Just don't want to see it burned on damaged goods like Moustakas when Montas indeed has struggled with injuries his entire career. Read somewhere the Reds have spent over $50 million in offseason upgrades. I don't think any one of these guys make the Reds World Series contenders, the young guys they have are the ones who will get the Reds to that point should they ever seriously contend for the NL Pennant. If Cincinnati had used their assets combined that they have spent, could have afforded to bring back Sonny Gray plus sign a Eduardo Rodriguez or Michael Lorenzen with that $50 million and push back some starters in the organization to convert them to relievers. It's about being smart with the money and not slinging it around to make any acquisition to the franchise for the hell of doing so.
It's a 1 year contract. If it doesn't work out, he'll be quick and on his way out of here fast like Wil Myers & Hunter Renfroe. I actually think he will bounce back be a solid pickup for the Reds. It's a low-risk, high reward signing. Not a gamble since no prospects were lost nor is it some Mike Moustakas long term signing. Better the Reds spend to improve than ownership pocket the money.

Reactions: Tskware and KY_Kid
Reds signed Brent Suter, hometown guy. Good lefty in the pen, can stash Young in Louisville
Love the move, good one by Krall. The bullpen is rounding out to be in much better shape to last with the addition of proven veterans like Suter, Pagan and if they ultimately end up putting Martinez in relief. That is where I would like to see Nick, let the young guys have their opportunities first and Martinez give some length out of the pen when a starter exits early, absorb multiple innings to rest the other relievers and a spot start in case of an injury. It's good to have several options in both the bullpen & starting rotation with guys to call on in Louisville with experience who won't make the Opening Day roster. Not to mention any starters that the Reds could convert to relievers to get experience at the MLB level.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
The Reds need to workout a long term extension for Tyler Stephenson. There is not a catcher close to even being ready in the pipeline should he get traded or sign elsewhere. I hope to see a few more years of Stephenson & Maile behind the plate.
Stephenson is an awful defensive catcher and isn’t a good enough hitter to warrant a long term extension

Reactions: WildcatDJ and justa
Stephenson is an awful defensive catcher and isn’t a good enough hitter to warrant a long term extension
Opposed to the alternatives in the farm system and the Reds won't be going out on the market to sign a catcher like Realmuto, Contreras, will have to respectively disagree. Fans better be happy with what they have because it could be a whole lot worse and I still think there is time to bounce back 1 year removed from the collarbone injury.

Opposed to the alternatives in the farm system and the Reds won't be going out on the market to sign a catcher like Realmuto, Contreras, will have to respectively disagree. Fans better be happy with what they have because it could be a whole lot worse and I still think there is time to bounce back 1 year removed from the collarbone injury.
I do hope the collarbone affected his offensive numbers in 2023 more then he let on, this session is do or die for him imo.

Reactions: kybloo92
I made the case back in the summer why he is not a good defensive catcher. About the only thing he has improved on is throwing runners out. Negative defensive runs saved. This season will be huge for Stephenson but sadly they really don't have any other options to replace him with. Maile is a good defensive catcher but not consistent enough offensively, fine as a backup which is his role on this Reds team. Perhaps Stephenson rebounds but he is just too big to be behind the plate. Really don't know why he wasn't moved to LF/1B earlier in his career. Unfortunately with this infield logjam, the Reds are not going to be able to afford him as many 1B/DH AB's and will have to stay healthy behind the plate for the Reds this year. The Reds better find a catcher in the 2024 draft or trade some of these infielders and pitchers to get one.

I made the case back in the summer why he is not a good defensive catcher. About the only thing he has improved on is throwing runners out. Negative defensive runs saved. This season will be huge for Stephenson but sadly they really don't have any other options to replace him with. Maile is a good defensive catcher but not consistent enough offensively, fine as a backup which is his role on this Reds team. Perhaps Stephenson rebounds but he is just too big to be behind the plate. Really don't know why he wasn't moved to LF/1B earlier in his career. Unfortunately with this infield logjam, the Reds are not going to be able to afford him as many 1B/DH AB's and will have to stay healthy behind the plate for the Reds this year. The Reds better find a catcher in the 2024 draft or trade some of these infielders and pitchers to get one.
If he is that terrible, who would suggest take his spot as the starter if he were to go down in April or sometime in '24? A catcher's responsbilities are more than just what they can bring to the plate offensively, throwing out baserunners but building a rapport as a signal caller with the pitching staff. I was at least encouraged by him getting through 2023 without an injury, his first real full season put together. If he were to go down, it's Maile and Austin Wynns. The answer is easy for me. Need Maile and Stephenson to be productive long enough to get to Logan Tanner, Mat Nelson and Alfredo Duno who has the most potential. I haven't forgot how recent it was the Reds had the revolving door of catchers from Austin Romine, Chris Okey, Mark Kolozsvary, Michael Papierski, Chuckie Robinson & Aramis Garcia. Wish they were able to hold onto Robinson over Austin Wynns for their catcher in Louisville from the experience that he has with the young arms.

Last edited:
Reactions: trueblujr2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT