ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits for next year..

bigbluedon

All-SEC
Oct 17, 2012
Cal won't take too many more guys for 2015 in case they stay around, then he won't have enough to give to the 2016 guys..The 16 class is loaded up and we need some firepower. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I like Kobi Simmons, but I'm wondering what he would think about a potential junior in Tyler Ulis. Hopefully Briscoe plays well enough to bolt at the end of one year. All things being equal, I'd rather UK accumulate as many NBA players under Calipari as possible, even over player retention.

I like Kobi Simmons, but I'm wondering what he would think about a potential junior in Tyler Ulis. Hopefully Briscoe plays well enough to bolt at the end of one year. All things being equal, I'd rather UK accumulate as many NBA players under Calipari as possible, even over player retention.
Can't imagine Briscoe or Ulis stay after next year but would love for them too.

As long as Josh Jackson is part of our recruiting class we will be fine.

I agree Cal should sign as many 5 star kids or get kids capable to get the nba for many reasons.
  1. These kids goal is to get the nba asap. Winning a nc is secondary to them.
  2. Practicing against elite talent everyday makes you better. I am not buying the fact platooning is hurting us in recruiting. 7 kids are going to get drafted. Did it really hurt any of them?
  3. if someone gets hurt, player or players can step in. Alex Poy
  4. We will be losing kids every year depth helps speed up Cal's routine and process.
  5. It helps having the most talented kid or kids on the floor to win BBN 9.

GBB

Cal won't take too many more guys for 2015 in case they stay around, then he won't have enough to give to the 2016 guys..The 16 class is loaded up and we need some firepower. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Really, you could say that every year. I think this misses something. The Harrow Goodwin Noel team was vulnerable because Calipari did not have enough players to create true competition in practice, or to overcome injuries. Let's not waste time talking about Floreal, not taking anything away from him. Just talking about recruited players. Right now, Hawkins Ulis Briscoe Matthews Willis Lee Poythress Labissiere. Let's say Mulder commits, which I believe he will in the next week. That's 9 players. Not enough. You would not even have a true backup center, not taking anything away from Lee who is a forward. With 9, not enough competition. You would need the walk ons to fill out 2 practice units. Ideally, you want at least 11. Add Diallo to this roster and it becomes a monster team.

Can't imagine Ulis being a first rounder next year.
That's for sure. Ulis is a 4 year player. He is a fine college player, a consummate team player who makes other players around him better. But the NBA odds are stacked heavily against him. People can point to a few 5-8 players who have made an NBA roster. But those are rare players with exceptional skills. Ulis does not have 1 NBA tool. Not explosive, not a great leaper, not an exceptional scorer. It's possible that he could play a couple of years as a reserve in the NBA if he is lucky enough to get on exactly the right team at exactly the right time. But if you look at players who get drafted in the 1st round by NBA GMs, it isn't realistic to believe an NBA GM would draft Ulis ahead of 1 of those other guys. That isn't any knock on Ulis, who is a very heady little player. But we have had very good little players before. It is amazing how unrealistic some people's expectations for Ulis have become.

Reactions: brianpoe
Can't imagine Briscoe or Ulis stay after next year but would love for them too.

Ulis is a terrific college point guard. He reminds me of Jay Barker, who was 35-2-1 as the starting QB at Alabama. Neither, however, has the athletic gifts to be a first-round draft selection in the professional ranks.

Next year is going to be a profoundly weak draft and Ulis will be one of the 2-3 top PGs in the country. It's going to about his best opportunity to go and get picked in the first round. Briscoe too.

I'll be surprised if we don't lose both of them.

Does anyone have an idea if we lead for any of the top targets? I know Matt Jones says we are in very good shape with a lot of the guys. However it's rumored that Duke is the leader for Tatum, that Giles will more than likely stay in state, and that it will be tough to get Monk away from Arkansas. Of course I know that the class is loaded, and that there's a lot of time for things to change.

Who else is high priority for Cal?

I have never seen Dennis Smith play..Can someone tell me about his game..I have seen Josh Jackson and he is a freak. Want him as much as anyone, including Giles. Thanks for info. Some good points above Blue Decade.

As long as we land Josh Jackson, Malik Monk and Harry Giles I'm fine. We'll obviously add a couple more like Simmons and another big, but we need those 3 for sure.

As long as we land Josh Jackson, Malik Monk and Harry Giles I'm fine. We'll obviously add a couple more like Simmons and another big, but we need those 3 for sure.

I think you'll be disappointed then cause it will be difficult to land those 3 guys. Most believe that Monk is a heavy Razorback, that Giles stays in Carolina, and Jackson is seen as a Kansas lean. From everything I've read on these guys, it will be an uphill battle to get them all in Lex. Its early though, so its hard to say who is leading and things can change overnight. I know the staff feels good about this class, so that is a plus.

I think you'll be disappointed then cause it will be difficult to land those 3 guys. Most believe that Monk is a heavy Razorback, that Giles stays in Carolina, and Jackson is seen as a Kansas lean. From everything I've read on these guys, it will be an uphill battle to get them all in Lex. Its early though, so its hard to say who is leading and things can change overnight. I know the staff feels good about this class, so that is a plus.

I imagine a year ago the staff felt good about the '15 class too but it came apart at the seams.

I think Kobi Simmons and Monk are very possible. That would be a great back court. I think Azubuike needs to be another top priority and is very gettable.

The big question (as usual) is small forward - and we need another high caliber PF. I think we could land Josh Langford as our SF if we made him a priority. Worst case scenario is that guys like Giles and Tatum wait until Spring and Cal passes on some other guys to wait on them. That could be a disaster.

I'd like to see us get involved with Terrance Ferguson as well. Might as well take a shot at Jackson if he decides to play college ball.

I don't see Monk going to Arkansas. That team is going to be awful. And he isn't like Newman from what I understand. I think we'll definitely get Monk and probably Simmons too. Then I think we'll get one of Tatum or Jackson. I think Cal's going to pull off another class like two years ago and land 4 or 5 top 10-12 players.

Even having so many players reclassifying to this year (Maker, Thornton, and possibly Murray) there is a ton of talent in the 2016 class. Between players like Monk, Azubuike, Simmons, Smith, Jackson, Giles, etc. there are a LOT of great players still available. You know Cal will get his share or more of them.

My prediction is this. We return Ulis, Mathews, Mulder and Lee. Then get Monk, Simmons, Giles, Jackson, and Azubuike to go with Wynward. Probably one who'll shoot up the rankings.

Ulis
Monk
Jackson
Azubuike
Giles

Then Simmons, Mulder, Mathews, Lee, and Wynward off the bench. We could end up with another 5star big man instead of Buike but we'll see. We'll probably end up with a guy who takes off and shoots up the rankings. But I think Buike and Giles would be a nice combo.

Last edited:
Having Ulis, Mulder(if he comes), Matthews, Hawkins, Willis, and Wynyard already on board will help in 2016.

Add in two elite bigs and an elite wing to fill out the roster and we will be set.

Last edited:
My prediction is this. We return Ulis, Mathews, Mulder and Lee. Then get Monk, Simmons, Giles, Jackson, and Azubuike to go with Wynward. Probably one who'll shoot up the rankings.

Ulis
Monk
Jackson
Azubuike
Giles

Then Simmons, Mulder, Mathews, Lee, and Wynward/5star big off the bench. We could end up with another 5star big man instead of Buike but we'll see. We'll probably end up with a guy who takes off and shoots up the rankings. But I think Buike and Giles would be a nice combo.

With those guys back, we won't sign that many, IMHO. We only sign one more big if Lee comes back as a Senior.

Starters
G Ulis(JR)
G Monk(FR)
F Jackson(FR)
F Lee(SR)- insert an elite big here if Lee leaves as expected.
C Azuibuike(FR)

Bench
G Hawkins(SR)
G Mulder(SR)
G Matthews(SO)
F Willis(SR)
F Wynyard(FR)

With those guys back, we won't sign that many, IMHO. We only sign one more big if Lee comes back as a Senior.

Starters
G Ulis(JR)
G Monk(FR)
F Jackson(FR)
F Lee(SR)- insert an elite big here if Lee leaves as expected.
C Azuibuike(FR)

Bench
G Hawkins(SR)
G Mulder(SR)
G Matthews(SO)
F Willis(SR)
F Wynyard(FR)
It's gonna be tough to get Monk out of Arkansas. I think Mulder will be a star as a SR. JMO

I don't see Monk going to Arkansas. That team is going to be awful. And he isn't like Newman from what I understand. I think we'll definitely get Monk and probably Simmons too. Then I think we'll get one of Tatum or Jackson. I think Cal's going to pull off another class like two years ago and land 4 or 5 top 10-12 players.

I agree with you on Monk. Cal is spending a lot of time on him and has made him a priority. Also agree with Simmons coming but I hope youre right about Jackson and Tatum.

Monk said he will go to the place that is best for him and his brother isn't pushing anyone. Apparantly Cal is recruiting Giles at a frenetic pace and from the things Giles says we seem to have a great shot at him. Cal has been after Tatum hard since he was a freshman. Those three along with Simmons seem to be his druthers IF he could just pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT