ADVERTISEMENT

Rebounding is effort and toughness.

Rideordiewildcat

All-American
Jan 30, 2018
Louisville, Ky (Behind enemy lines)
I've been saying for a while. Cal will ride Ugo and Edwards till the wheels fall off and they will in March. Both can do some good things against bad teams. But they do not rebound for their size. Yet Z got 0 minutes tonight.

Rebounds tonight:
Reeves 7
Reed 4
Dillingham 4
=15

Mitchell 6
Other bigs
Ugo (starter) 3
Edwards (starter) 2
=11

Sad.

Z had 10 rebs in his last 23 mins. Not to mention 18pts in those last 23 mins also. ZERO MINS TONIGHT!!!

Um, did you miss that part about single season blocks at Rupp? You know, Onyenso and stuff…
I mean, that's great. But he has one good game here and there against so so teams and then disappears the next, plus he had 3 rebounds, he's 7 feet tall. Be also got dunked on a few times. The game before that against the Zags he played 19 mins and had 3pts and 2 rbs and not so many blocks.

His hands are like stone. I like the kid and the blocks were awesome but he's had 2 good games all year. I just think he is a liability down the road. I'm just saying I can't believe Cal played Z zero mins. He needs clock and we were up big most the night.

Let's see what he does against Aub next. I hope I'm wrong. I think against good teams he will continue to get abused.

Reactions: ukdaven
But it's not really just toughness and effort. The guy that watches the ball leave the shooter's hand and then goes for the rebound isn't likely to get it versus the guy that knew a shot was going up while the ball was on the way to the shooter, even if he is tougher than the other guy. Ball and court awareness is a big part of being a great rebounder.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Seems like the appropriate thread to provide an updated Rebounds-per-30min stat rate for the season.

11.1 Ivisic
8.4 Onyenso
7.3 Burks
7.2 Theiro
7.0 Bradshaw
6.8 Mitchell
4.9 Edwards
4.6 Sheppard
4.1 Reeves
3.9 Dillingham
1.9 Wagner

Seems like the appropriate thread to provide an updated Rebounds-per-30min stat rate for the season.

11.1 Ivisic
8.4 Onyenso
7.3 Burks
7.2 Theiro
7.0 Bradshaw
6.8 Mitchell
4.9 Edwards
4.6 Sheppard
4.1 Reeves
3.9 Dillingham
1.9 Wagner
There is only 1 coach in the country right now that would not be finding a way to get z on the floor and as much time as he possibly could before the tournament starts. Unfortunately we know who that is.

Those stats can't be right; it seems to be common opinion on the board that Z has never gotten a rebound in his life.

There is only 1 coach in the country right now that would not be finding a way to get z on the floor and as much time as he possibly could before the tournament starts. Unfortunately we know who that is.
So, who wins here. The crowd that says "Tighten up the rotation" or the one that says "Play everybody."

A lot of the "Tighten up the rotation" crowd add the caveat, " and play my favorites and don't play the ones I don't like."

Fortunately, coaching isn't a democracy.

Reactions: ukcatz12
So, who wins here. The crowd that says "Tighten up the rotation" or the one that says "Play everybody."

A lot of the "Tighten up the rotation" crowd add the caveat, " and play my favorites and don't play the ones I don't like."

It’s pretty simple, you tighten up the rotation and play the players that give you the best chance to win and that doesn’t include Bradshaw and very little Edwards.

Rotation: Mitchell/theiro/ugo/Z/wagner/dilly/shep/reeves

Reserves as needed: Edwards/burks

Emergency use: Bradshaw

This board continues to talk out of both sides of its mouth.

Z is clearly the worst defender on the team. Wanders around the court on defense with zero clue where he should actually be. Rebounding doesn't matter much if you are constantly losing your man and giving up easy buckets. Yes, no one on this team is particularly good at defense. But Z is lost a lot more than the rest of the team is. And Edwards is one of the better defensive players we do have.

This board has been playing favorites all year long. People bitch and moan about Cal playing favorites when they've been doing the same exact thing this year with Reed, Burks, and Z. It seems like every year this board latches onto a bench player and complains the entire season they don't get enough minutes.

Reactions: nptb

11.1 Ivisic
8.4 Onyenso
7.3 Burks
7.2 Theiro
7.0 Bradshaw
6.8 Mitchell
4.9 Edwards
4.6 Sheppard
4.1 Reeves
3.9 Dillingham
1.9 Wagner
Thanks for this. Helpful