ADVERTISEMENT

Reality

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Lots of reactions on Coaching possibilities out there as I wake up this morning. Everyone will try to read the tea leaves as to how it all unfolded. But the reality is our so called best choices seem to all have said NO. Hurley. Just won back to back Championships. He had to lose for us to have a Chance. Jay Wright. A stern No. Billy Donavon. Timing is just BAD, but nowhere have we heard he wants to come back to College Basketball. Nate Oats has said he is staying at Alabama. Is that because he didn’t get a call? We will never know for sure.

That leads us to who is next in line. Scott Drew. Will he be a home run hire?? Did you think Tubby or Billy G. Was that hire at the time? We don’t know although he will have a better platform than at Baylor. So here we are. Reality is the first 4 have said NO!!!!!!! Scott Drew is number 5 on the Board. Hopefully we get him.

The first four to five have not been offered.

In a situation like this you don’t count someone as saying “no” just because some shock jock hoping for a scoop shoved a mic in their face and didn’t get them to admit any interest.

They’re gonna just launch into a soliloquy about how much they would love the Kentucky job right then and there, alienating their entire fambase (except for Wright) without even having an offer in hand? Not to mention giving up all their bargaining power.

Shenanigans.

The first four to five have not been offered.

In a situation like this you don’t count someone as saying “no” just because some shock jock hoping for a scoop shoved a mic in their face and didn’t get them to admit any interest.

They’re gonna just launch into a soliloquy about how much they would love the Kentucky job right then and there, alienating their entire fambase (except for Wright) without even having an offer in hand? Not to mention giving up all their bargaining power.

Shenanigans.
How do you know they haven’t been offered??

Reactions: plumdog69
Drew will say no probably today! Matt Jones said the 5 coaches on Barnhart's list are Hurley, Donovan, Drew, Shaka Smart, and Sean Miller.

Drew will say no probably today! Matt Jones said the 5 coaches on Barnhart's list are Hurley, Donovan, Drew, Shaka Smart, and Sean Miller.
I think MB has known for several weeks he'd be replacing Calipari. There's maybe some back channel stuff going on but I doubt anybody has been offered. I don't see why Hurley would want to leave, he's got it going at UCONN. Don't see Donovan as viable, think if he wanted a return to college it would've happened by now. Plus, I get the sense Donovan doesn't like to recruit. That leaves Drew, Smart and Miller. Think Miller's a long shot, could be Drew but think Smart will get the nod. FWIW.

I think MB has known for several weeks he'd be replacing Calipari. There's maybe some back channel stuff going on but I doubt anybody has been offered. I don't see why Hurley would want to leave, he's got it going at UCONN. Don't see Donovan as viable, think if he wanted a return to college it would've happened by now. Plus, I get the sense Donovan doesn't like to recruit. That leaves Drew, Smart and Miller. Think Miller's a long shot, could be Drew but think Smart will get the nod. FWIW.
Shaka Smart he'll no and Miller he might be past time

People in general don’t want that pressure anymore. The Nick Saban’s, Coach K’s, the old Pitino’s, etc those personalities are gone. Workaholics in society are gone.

A guy like Oats can go to the NIT the next five years and still have a job at Alabama.

This is what’s worried about finding a coach in this day and age. It’s not gonna be as easy as it was 20 years ago.

Plus, only one of our coaches has ever had to deal with social media which is also a huge factor.

Reality is that the only active coaches with titles are Pitino, Izzo, Cal, Bennett, Self, Hurley and Scott Drew.

Of those, Hurley (51) and Drew (53) are the only ones with a lot of juice still in their tank. The idea that Scott Drew would be a bad hire if lunacy. He is as close to a sure thing that we can ask for.

Reality is that the only active coaches with titles are Pitino, Izzo, Cal, Bennett, Self, Hurley and Scott Drew.

Of those, Hurley (51) and Drew (53) are the only ones with a lot of juice still in their tank. The idea that Scott Drew would be a bad hire if lunacy. He is as close to a sure thing that we can ask for.
I’m kind of thinking it’s Drew or Donovan or bust. We should be rooting against the Bulls.

Reactions: etowncatfan
Shaka Smart and Sean Miller? What in the actual hell. Someone needs to get Barnhart out of the way and let people who actually care about Kentucky basketball run this.

What a dumbass
if Shaka Smart is on any list then that list needs to be burned.

Sean Miller I can see, not that I want him but I can see him being on a list of names that should be considered.

The Kentucky job is not as attractive as us fans think it is Cal mentality his first 6 to 7 years is how it needs to be and alot of coaches doesn't want that pressure

I disagree it's still one of the best jobs in America. You can win Championships at UK. Still attractive absolutely YES.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Today is the first day we will get any real news on who we are considering IMO. The season is over and now real talks can begin. If Mitch doesn’t throw the bank at Hurley or Oats he deserves to be canned, I don’t care what people think the chances are or what they said publicly.

Reactions: UKUGA
It’s Scott Drew. Reasonable buy out, Barnhart and him are reportedly friends, just seems like that is how this is going to end.
Where have you seen Drew's buyout? Last I saw, nobody knows. He had just signed a new contract, and Baylor is a private school that doesn't have to release that info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Where have you seen Drew's buyout? Last I saw, nobody knows. He had just resigned a new contract, and Baylor is a private school that doesn't have to release that info.
Reported around $4.5 million buyout for Drew.

Lots of reactions on Coaching possibilities out there as I wake up this morning. Everyone will try to read the tea leaves as to how it all unfolded. But the reality is our so called best choices seem to all have said NO. Hurley. Just won back to back Championships. He had to lose for us to have a Chance. Jay Wright. A stern No. Billy Donavon. Timing is just BAD, but nowhere have we heard he wants to come back to College Basketball. Nate Oats has said he is staying at Alabama. Is that because he didn’t get a call? We will never know for sure.

That leads us to who is next in line. Scott Drew. Will he be a home run hire?? Did you think Tubby or Billy G. Was that hire at the time? We don’t know although he will have a better platform than at Baylor. So here we are. Reality is the first 4 have said NO!!!!!!! Scott Drew is number 5 on the Board. Hopefully we get him.
They said "no?"

You do realize Calipari said he wasn't leaving Memphis about two days before he left Memphis, right?

Who formally rejected a UK offer yet?

Can you list the names?

If Cal were available today, we wouldn't hire him with his record over the last 10 years. And a bunch of people would oppose him if we were to hire him today with the record he had prior to coming to UK - vacated Final Fours, no championship, failed miserably at the NBA. Think about that for a second.

Any coach on any list that we've seen so far is a huge upgrade over Cal of the last 10 years. People need to stop being so immediately close minded and negative.

The reason that we've had to be negative for so many years now - Cal - is gone (I think), so it's time to have some renewed energy.

Finally, nothing that is said publicly until we've signed a new coach is likely the full and transparent truth.

The Reality is that all the top coaches we want are gonna use the KY job to get new richer contracts at their current jobs. Billy D included.

Matt Jones isn't scooping the actual list. There's only a few people who have that info, and they aren't leaking jack and schitt at this point. There hasn't even been time to meet back channel with agents yet. Cal has reportedly been working his own deal with Arkansas for a while now.

Reactions: blubo
We have to remember, Cal hasn't left yet and it is not official as of this morning. it was a "done deal" as of Monday morning with the Arkansas media and people but there were reports of Coach Cal having 2nd thoughts on it. Do I think there needs to be change--YES but as a fan, I can accept that Coach Cal wants to stay around at least 1 more year. I say if there is no official announcement by tonight, then something is up and he may have changed his mind

We have to remember, Cal hasn't left yet and it is not official as of this morning. it was a "done deal" as of Monday morning with the Arkansas media and people but there were reports of Coach Cal having 2nd thoughts on it. Do I think there needs to be change--YES but as a fan, I can accept that Coach Cal wants to stay around at least 1 more year. I say if there is no official announcement by tonight, then something is up and he may have changed his mind
Is he doing this on purpose?

lIt looks like Cal has the cards in this poker game due to his pathetically stupid huge buyout and is holding the progran hostage while he lines up recruits for his next gig!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT