ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic coaching replacements for Cal

This won't be popular, but don't think I am a Cal guy. I warned against him (not here, but to friends, I wasn't a member here back then) when he came. I didn't like the way he left Memphis bare when he came. Showed no loyalty.

But to ease his feelings and give UK a cheaper out, work out a PUBLIC deal that he will absolutely retire in two years. Make it seem publicly like it was idea. That he is ready to retire. Save face for him, give him a chance go out on top if he can win, and get him to walk away and onto TV in two years...with zero buyout.

Then hire the right up and coming guy not yet ready for the UK spotlight as a head-coach-in-waiting and maybe offensive coordinator. Groom them for the head job, teach them how to manage large NIL accounts and deal with the fanbase and donors and how to recruit at a high level. A Duke-Scheyer sort of thing.

I have no idea who that coach in waiting should be. But there are far more knowledgeable people who could find him. And surely there is someone with UK ties who that it should be.
Tyler Ulis???

The board in general seems to be pretty negative on Oats - and if it's over the off court drama then I'd get it but people seem to be negative on him as a coach. But I saw a tweet last night that Alabama had been to 1 sweet 16 in 30 years prior to Oats taking them 3 times in 4 years. Give him a talent boost at Kentucky and I think he could excel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT