ADVERTISEMENT

Real Possibility

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Just have the feeling if they underperform this March Cal will jump ship and head to another school. I think he’s going to get offered from a couple of places either way and it’s a real possibility he would accept an offer especially if they get bounced early.

I want this team to make a deep run don’t get me wrong, but nothing would surprise me either if they didn’t.

Just have the feeling if they underperform this March Cal will jump ship and head to another school. I think he’s going to get offered from a couple of places either way and it’s a real possibility he would accept an offer especially if they get bounced early.

I want this team to make a deep run don’t get me wrong, but nothing would surprise me either if they didn’t.

If he severely underperforms again, he’ll need to jump to another school… and if he underperforms again, I’ll carry his bags to the plane out of town.

I think we make at least the E8, but that second game Saturday is going to need to be a clear, easy win for me to feel really good about the S16 UF or Marquette match up to get there.

But to your comment about Cal leaving - he won't go coach anywhere else. If he leaves, he will simply state it's time to retire, then join Jay Wright on CBS announcing games (where he'll interrupt the other announcers with bragging about his NBA players and probably jabbing at UK fans along the way).

I think we make at least the E8, but that second game Saturday is going to need to be a clear, easy win for me to feel really good about the S16 UF or Marquette match up to get there.

But to your comment about Cal leaving - he won't go coach anywhere else. If he leaves, he will simply state it's time to retire, then join Jay Wright on CBS announcing games (where he'll interrupt the other announcers with bragging about his NBA players and probably jabbing at UK fans along the way).
Its Cal though, everyone knows he will be offered by some team this offseason and if its ugly around here because of an early exit then I could see him leaving

Its Cal though, everyone knows he will be offered by some team this offseason and if its ugly around here because of an early exit then I could see him leaving
Regardless of everyone's like or hate for Cal, all of us would agree that if/when Cal leaves, it won't be to coach somewhere else. He will retire and not want to start all over at some other school with NIL and the AD and all of that. He won't be able to just whip up a contender in the first year like he did at Kentucky.

Regardless of everyone's like or hate for Cal, all of us would agree that if/when Cal leaves, it won't be to coach somewhere else. He will retire and not want to start all over at some other school with NIL and the AD and all of that. He won't be able to just whip up a contender in the first year like he did at Kentucky.
Idk I think Michigan is going to go after him and whether Cal is interested or not is up for debate, I think Cal will make it seem like he’s interested to get more money from Mitch

[

Just win, I don’t care by how much In the tournament.

Idk I think Michigan is going to go after him and whether Cal is interested or not is up for debate, I think Cal will make it seem like he’s interested to get more money from Mitch
This is nonsense. First, Mitch isn't giving him more money. Second, only an idiot would believe that he would go to Michigan instead of Kentucky.

If Michigan wants him let them have him. Gets us out of his contract and rid of him. No way he should get a raise to stay, he’s not anywhere near what he’s being paid now.

You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

I kind of see your point, but even if they win on a buzzer beater against NC State or Texas Tech, it wouldn’t hamper my expectations going forward. The tournament is weird and takes a little luck along the way, aka Brandon Knight year against Princeton. Survive and advance

I kind of see your point, but even if they win on a buzzer beater against NC State or Texas Tech, it wouldn’t hamper my expectations going forward. The tournament is weird and takes a little luck along the way, aka Brandon Knight year against Princeton. Survive and advance

The fact that a handful of programs have won this tournament as a vast majority say the “Gonzo take” that it’s a crap shoot luck tournament isn’t true. It’s something people began to cook up to cover for Calipari but it’s not true. A handful of programs have done very well in this tournament so it cannot be about luck.

Nice try though.

Right, Michigan is going to give an aging under performing coach 9 million a year.

• Sad
Reactions: GoCats53 and KFuqua
I'm glad UK was given a VERY nice draw (Katz on his podcast had UK as his 2nd "winner" from Selection Sunday, behind only Virginia who had no business getting in).. as it means there likely won't be any excuse to NOT get to the Sweet16. If Cal doesn't make it that far, or even worse, loses to Oakland, I could see the school just biting the bullet and hiring an upstart coach on the cheap for a few years.

I'm glad UK was given a VERY nice draw (Katz on his podcast had UK as his 2nd "winner" from Selection Sunday, behind only Virginia who had no business getting in).. as it means there likely won't be any excuse to NOT get to the Sweet16. If Cal doesn't make it that far, or even worse, loses to Oakland, I could see the school just biting the bullet and hiring an upstart coach on the cheap for a few years.

Anything other than a final four and we should fire him for sure. I would anyway, because then he’d really be impossible to deal with. If you listen to Calipari you can tell he knows it’s over. I think he’ll retire at the end of the year and settle the buyout, or go one more year and settle. Either way I’ve followed Calipari very closely for a lot longer than most, and when he talks this way, it’s always before a bolt. We’re close to being rid of him. I don’t think he thought his legacy would go this way and he caught it too late because of the portal. He has to leave soon if he doesn’t win to salvage what’s left of his legacy. He literally cannot hang around and lose and he’s not doing that for some extra money he doesn’t even need.

Calipari is in a legacy crisis right now. He’d love one last final four or title to hang up on so he could shove it in everyone’s face, but the way he talks you can tell he know’s the battle is too much. He’s done. He thought he’d lay back easy taking OAD’s and it would be enough to sustain his legacy while he rode out the contract but the PORTAL he didn’t see coming in this fashion. That’s what got him. Thats why he isn’t just against the portal (thought he was players first?) but also was staunchly against the 5th year grad transfers. His younger teams cannot sustain grown men on every roster moving around freely.

It’s how you also know he’s absolutely not about the players. This was just the easiest method for him to get talent that can win on their own.

I bet he coaches like his life depends on it in this tournament. lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BlueTick2
Fair point. I guess I'm just hoping for something good that settles down the Rafters anger.

Cal cares most about how many players he puts in the NBA, not winning in March. That's why he'll stay.

The fact that a handful of programs have won this tournament as a vast majority say the “Gonzo take” that it’s a crap shoot luck tournament isn’t true. It’s something people began to cook up to cover for Calipari but it’s not true. A handful of programs have done very well in this tournament so it cannot be about luck.

Nice try though.

Like all sports, it's a mixture of both.

Most years you can pick 6-8 teams that could win the title and be reasonably confident the winner is coming from those teams.

You get to those 6-8 teams because those are the teams that have the skill level and talent to win the title. As far as picking a winner among those, that's where luck tends to play it's role.

Nice try though.
It’s 100% true. Does take a little luck with draws, a play here, a call here. This wasn’t a cover up for Cal and his underachieving in the tourney, it’s a fact. Nice try on your part as well.

Last edited:

Nice try though.

"Luck" is indeed part of the game and is in no way an attempt to "cover for Calipari". Cal has no influence on what happens in the brackets around us. He can't influence how a team we'd match up poorly with down the path might get knocked out by a team we match up well with.

Now what Cal does with the luck we're handed, that's a different story. Close games with a chance to win or tie at the buzzer is usually a combination of good play design, execution and....wait for it....LUCK. Cal has had almost none of those last three things when a game is on the line at the buzzer.

I can barely (but not likely) see him leaving if we don't make it through this weekend. But it won't be for another team, offers or not. There just aren't any teams anywhere with openings that would make any sense. And he's already at retirement age.

But he isn't leaving, not with that money on the table, even if he flops again this weekend (unfortunately).

• Sad
Reactions: GoCats53
Let’s face it, we have high expectations here. We know he’s been trending down hill the past 5 years but most schools will look at the whole resume and he’s in the HOF. Most schools would be thrilled to get him at least initially

Reactions: GoCats53
I’m pretty sure this is what you said last year after licking your chops at the thought of routing St. Peter’s!

Pipe down, let’s get to next weekend first.
we are getting ready to start the NCAAT and this thread is the trash the OP started
i think maybe you need to tell him to pipe down

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT