ADVERTISEMENT

Rajon Rondo...if there had been a portal I was gone

ukfan1622

Junior
Jan 15, 2021
I just watched an interview with Rondo..."having to walk the ball up court, not allowed to have any fun; if there was a portal I was gone"
Style of play does matter. I said when Rondo was here I thought he could get to the rim every time down the floor but wasn't allowed the freedom to do it.

I became a UK fan in 1999 my freshman year. I cannot begin to explain how incredibly excited I am to have an offensive focused coach in Pope for my first time as a fan.
Pope described himself as an offensive minded coach who cares deeply about defense. Especially when you consider the players he's signed I'd expect to see better defensive teams as well as better coaching on offense.

This is not surprising at all. I think MANY of our former greats wouldn’t have stuck around if the transfer portal and today’s “everybody’s a free agent mercenary”mentality had been how it worked back then.

The sport is just a totally different thing now.

This is not surprising at all. I think MANY of our former greats wouldn’t have stuck around if the transfer portal and today’s “everybody’s a free agent mercenary”mentality had been how it worked back then.

I bet that 96-98 run would have looked a LOT different if the portal was around back then.

I just watched an interview with Rondo..."having to walk the ball up court, not allowed to have any fun; if there was a portal I was gone"
Style of play does matter. I said when Rondo was here I thought he could get to the rim every time down the floor but wasn't allowed the freedom to do it.

I've often wondered. How awesome would Rondo have been if he was here on those up tempo teams of the 1990s when Pitino was here

Tubby signed the first “mega” class here, which he fell into backwards for reasons i wont mention, in Morris Crawford Bradley and Rondo then preceded to play tubby ball. What could have been if he let those guys run
UK had many "mega" recruiting classes before Rondo, e.g.:

Issel/Pratt/Casey
Grevey/Flynn/Conner/Guyette
Bowie/Minniefield/Hord/Hurt

Tubby signed the first “mega” class here, which he fell into backwards for reasons i wont mention, in Morris Crawford Bradley and Rondo then preceded to play tubby ball. What could have been if he let those guys run
Respectfully, my young friend ... and my reason for use of the word "young" will be obvious ... I suggest that the 1980 recruiting class of Sam Bowie, Dirk Minnifield, Derrick Hord, and Charles Hurt was a "mega class." They would have gone to the Final Four, but for Sam Bowie missing the 1982 season with the leg injury. Likewise (going back in time), the 1975 "mega class" of Jack Givens, Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, and James Lee did in fact win the NCAA National Championship in 1978. Similarly, the 1972 "mega class" of Kevin Grevey, Jimmy Dan Conner, Bob Guyette, and Mike Flynn went to the National Championship final game, and would have won it all but for the refs bending over for John Wooden in his last game as coach at UCLA. Then there was the 1967 class (which for the time was certainly a "mega class") of Dan Issel, Mike Casey, and Mike Pratt. Then there were Louie Dampier and Pat Riley headlining the 1964 class, and Larry Conley and Tommy Kron in '63 ... and perhaps the "granddaddy of all college basketball recruiting classes" - the 1946 "mega class" of Ralph Beard, Wallace ("Wah Wah") Jones, Alex Groza, and Cliff Barker ... you may better recall them as "The Fabulous Five" that won back-to-back NCAA National Championships in 1948 and 1949.
Just a pleasant little walk down memory lane.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Last edited:
I bet that 96-98 run would have looked a LOT different if the portal was around back then.
no doubt
Delk almost left after his freshman year
if he did not have to sit a year, what do you think his decision would have been

Reactions: CGblue
Didn't he state every year that we were going to push the tempo, and then outpaced the world's slowest turtle?

If Rondo could have developed a jumper, he would have flourished more in a half court offense.

These former players don’t realize they are killing any opportunity they would have later on in life in the state of Kentucky with these comments and interviews.

Oh well, they are plenty of former Cats who are proud to be Cats and are loyal, I will choose to support those guys the most.

Of course he could, one of the best driving guards I’ve ever seen here.

It also works both ways, how many other guys end up at UK to replace them that we wouldn't have known.

Larry Bird wanted to play for Kentucky and the Cats quit recruiting him. Something tells me a portal option back then ends up with Larry Bird at UK.

Reactions: ORCAT
It also works both ways, how many other guys end up at UK to replace them that we wouldn't have known.

Larry Bird wanted to play for Kentucky and the Cats quit recruiting him. Something tells me a portal option back then ends up with Larry Bird at UK.
JBH said Bird was too slow coming out of H.S.
i highly doubt after 1 year at IU JBH would have offered him when he went to Indiana ST.

JBH said Bird was too slow coming out of H.S.
i highly doubt after 1 year at IU JBH would have offered him when he went to Indiana ST.
After his sophomore year at Indiana State he was averaging 33 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and a block a game.

Something tells me Hall would have changed his mind about his speed.

Respectfully, my young friend ... and my reason for use of the word "young" will be obvious ... I suggest that the 1980 recruiting class of Sam Bowie, Dirk Minnifield, Derrick Hord, and Charles Hurt was a "mega class." They would have gone to the Final Four, but for Sam Bowie missing the 1982 season with the leg injury. Likewise (going back in time), the 1975 "mega class" of Jack Givens, Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, and James Lee did in fact win the NCAA National Championship in 1978. Similarly, the 1972 "mega class" of Kevin Grevey, Jimmy Dan Conner, Bob Guyette, and Mike Flynn went to the National Championship final game, and would have won it all but for the refs bending over for John Wooden in his last game as coach at UCLA. Then there was the 1967 class (which for the time was certainly a "mega class") of Dan Issel, Mike Casey, and Mike Pratt. Then there were Louie Dampier and Pat Riley headlining the 1964 class, and Larry Conley and Tommy Kron in '63 ... and perhaps the "granddaddy of all college basketball recruiting classes" - the 1946 "mega class" of Ralph Beard, Wallace ("Wah Wah") Jones, Alex Groza, and Cliff Barker ... you may better recall them as "The Fabulous Five" that won back-to-back NCAA National Championships in 1948 and 1949.
Just a pleasant little walk down memory lane.
Go 'Cats ! ! !
Love post like this ty sir. Your Kentucky basketball knowledge is off the charts

After his sophomore year at Indiana State he was averaging 33 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and a block a game.

Something tells me Hall would have changed his mind about his speed.
with Bird's personality do you really think even if he was offered he would have said yes

with Bird's personality do you really think even if he was offered he would have said yes
I think he would have liked the spotlight Kentucky would have given him.

In 78 I doubt they're replacing Goose, Robey or Lee for him. But in 79 when they go 19-12 and to the NIT?

Reactions: mebeblue2
Always thought tubby was the most over rated coach in America, then we met Cal!!!!

I was thinking about what you said about Rondo wasn't allowed the freedom to get to the rim every time. It amazes me and I really don't understand a coach who has a player that is that good with something, not allowing them to use their gift. Why would a coach who has a player like that, hold him back? Why not score if he can? That drives me nuts!! I always thought the object of the game was to score MORE points than the other team and win the game!!🤣🤣

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

Sadly true.

I remember watching O'Bannon and Rajon in HS. Never got to watch Sparks. He was too far out west. Some great times. Also remember watching Michael Bush on the hardwood.

Excellent point but I still am not a fan of the portal and NIL. Just makes college sports that much closer to being pros rather than college kids playing for their school.

Love post like this ty sir. Your Kentucky basketball knowledge is off the charts
Well, lazycat ... thanks for your kind words, but I must admit that I'm pretty lazy myself ! :cool: Actually, I knew the names of the players in the various classes off the top of my head ... but I used Jon Scott's superb website to make sure I got the dates right, etc.
As I have posted on this site before, I saw my first U.K. basketball game in person in January, 1954, so most of my knowledge of U.K. basketball is experiential, as a fan. Of course I wasn't experientially familiar with The Fabulous Five, and I've only read about Bill Spivey, the 7'1" Center who led he 'Cats to the 1951 National Championship. But Cliff Hagan, Frank Ramsey, and Lou Tsioropoulos were on that team that I saw in person in '54 - the team that went undefeated at 25-0, but didn't play in the NCAA Tournament because the NCAA wouldn't let Hagan, Ramsey, and Tsioropoulos participate because they were grad students ... but I digress. AND ... I just realized that I left out the 1950 recruiting "mega class" of Hagan, Ramsey, and Tsioropoulos ... but I digress further ! :cool:
I guess that's enough "memory lane stuff", for now. Best regards to all.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

It's not just us. A TON of college stars would likely have bounced around if the portal had been a thing.

They would have split at the first sign of hard coaching and discipline. Teenagers are rarely very bright or wise.

Having said that, I think Rondo is correct here. He wasn't used optimally. I also think he was always pretty sharp (and likely too big for his britches as well).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT