ADVERTISEMENT

Question for anybody

KentuckyCat420

All-SEC
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2006
What in the hell does "Rockchalk Jayhawk" mean? You'd think watching college bball my whole life I'd know but I don't and I get annoyed everytime I hear it because it sounds gay.

TIA.

Looks like it's the evolved version of "Rah! Rah! Jayhawks! KU!". "Chalk rock" apparently means limestone, a common rock in the eastern Kansas area, so it sounds like the KU geology dept might've been responsible for the change. Who knows. It still sounds pretty sweet.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

The only other thing that rhymes with "Jayhawk" is "suck caulk" and they deemed that one too edgy.

The geology origin is correct but forget the words. What is really means is:

- We're here.
- We're declaring our loyalty to KU.
- Anytime you hear it you know you are with family.
- It's like one wolf calling to another and acknowledging you are from the same pack.
- It's monotone, Gregorian chant like so it distinguishes us from any other college cheer.

And lastly, it is chanted at the end of every game in which KU is winning to let the opposition know it's been beat. The bigger the victory, the louder the chant!

Don't kill the messenger. You asked.

Ya see, after reading these responses I now know it was just as dumb as I always thought. I don't understand why it's expected to know that phrase in college basketball, it has no cool back story what so ever and ESPN does a commercial around it.

I wish I didn't ask now.

Simply where I signed up to respond to a message board thread. I picked my name so I would be clear to THOSE folks. No, don't miss Huck one bit.

laugh.gif
well that's the most convincing statement ever. thanks for clarifying you're different than all the others.

Originally posted by KentuckyCat420:
What in the hell does "Rockchalk Jayhawk" mean? You'd think watching college bball my whole life I'd know but I don't and I get annoyed everytime I hear it because it sounds gay.

TIA.

I love it and thinks it's one of if not THE best college basketball tradition. It sounds like a bunch of crazed college basketball monks.

I thought it had do with all the chalk used as cut in ku's cocaine.
$elby slangin those gees

Ya see, after reading these responses I now know it was just as dumb as I always thought. I don't understand why it's expected to know that phrase in college basketball, it has no cool back story what so ever and ESPN does a commercial around it.

I wish I didn't ask now.
Cat420- You heard the refrain "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it"?

FYI- I wasn't being a smart ass when I posted my reply. My response is absolutely accurate. It has an emotional response just like "My Old Kentucky Home" does for you. Repetition of 100 years of this chant tends to reinforce those emotions and really only has meaning to the chanter. You should dislike it being a UK fan and I suspect that KU fans like other fans to feel that way. It's kind of the point in this smack talking day and age, isn't it?

The entire campus of KU is built on top of and out of a huge bed of limestone that is Mount Oread and doesn't exist anywhere else in Eastern Kansas. It was invented in 1886 so I would hope that at least Kentucky fans would be respectful of a tradition that goes back that far.

"U.S. president Teddy Roosevelt called it the greatest college chant he had ever heard. Kansas troops have used it in the Philippine-American War in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion, and World War II. In the 1920 Summer Olympics, Albert I of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell, and gathered athletes replied with the chant"

This has been talked about over her a lot and a bunch of you guys seem to always say some derivative of "LOL GAY" whenever it is mentioned. It seems that UK fans love tradition, as long as it is their own tradition. I get it, it's your site but I think it's a pretty good story.

As a UK fan I will say it is cool as all hell when you have that old fieldhouse bringing it.
However, I hope I dont hear it too often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT