ADVERTISEMENT

Putting my dog to sleep

TCurtis75

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
My GF and I are having to put our 14 year old Cocker Spaniel to sleep tomorrow. She is having a very hard time with it. It was her dog long before she and I started our relationship. I’ve never been through this and I don’t know how to cope myself let alone help her. People who have been through this, what helped you with the grief and constant doubt that you are doing the right thing?

You need to pay close attention to the dog...it hurts to say, but dogs know when their time is up...if they are in pain that's not going to go away and they know their time is up - it's your responsibility to make that as painless and loving as you possibly can.

There are actually Cretans and cowards that simply drop their dog off to be put to sleep. Go in with the dog. Pet the dog and tell it you love it...the vet does an injection and the dog simply goes to sleep...it's a fast process. It's OK to say a quick prayer if that helps you and your GF.

You can choose to have the dog cremated, or you can take it home and bury it. Your choice.

Very sorry you are going through this. We only have our beloved pets for a short period of time...and remember - it's OK to grieve.

You need to pay close attention to the dog...it hurts to say, but dogs know when their time is up...if they are in pain that's not going to go away and they know their time is up - it's your responsibility to make that as painless and loving as you possibly can.

There are actually Cretans and cowards that simply drop their dog off to be put to sleep. Go in with the dog. Pet the dog and tell it you love it...the vet does an injection and the dog simply goes to sleep...it's a fast process. It's OK to say a quick prayer if that helps you and your GF.

You can choose to have the dog cremated, or you can take it home and bury it. Your choice.

Very sorry you are going through this. We only have our beloved pets for a short period of time...and remember - it's OK to grieve.
We definitely know it is time. We are going in with him and are having him cremated so we can bring him home. We actually also are leaving for vacation next Friday. I hope that being away from home will help if even for the week we are gone.

Reactions: bbncal02 and DocPT
Thats tough man, a good dog is one of the joys of life. It's much better to end their lives peacefully than to let them suffer, I selfishly did that when I was younger just because I couldn't bear to have one put to sleep.

Many Vets will give them a mild sedative beforehand so they won't be nervous, but it's gonna be tough no matter what for you and her. Just remember that you guys loved it, and gave it a wonderful life, and this is unfortunately the next step in ending the suffering.

Some Vets also will do it for free if you're a client.

They will tell you it's time if you watch closely. When we put Maddie down, the vet came out to us and did it in the yard in one of her favorite places to play. She was cremated and her ashes are inside a lamp we made along with the ashes of her favorite playmate, fellow boxer Bill.

Sorry man it’s tough but we put a dog down during the pandemic and all I wasn’t even allowed there - my wife insisted she be there and they let her but March 2020 they were very strict. I grieved for a few days but then moved past it b/c I knew i did everything I could for our dog and health issues are sometimes beyond our control and the best decision is for the dog no longer suffering

Reactions: DocPT
We've used an in home VET for these situations and I'd have to imagine it makes it easier on everyone. Can't imagine that walk through the VETs office. If you're in Lex I can get that contact info.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great dog.
We checked into one of those. It just didn’t work out for us to use them. Thankfully our vet in Richmond has a separate entrance for these appointments that is more private.

So sorry to hear. My girl turns 14 today but I know her days are limited. Its never easy and time heals.

I’m sorry to hear about your dog. We are coming to the same point I’m afraid with our almost 13 year old boxer. She has been a huge part of our family and it will rip our hearts out. Having been thru this before I think the only thing you can do is tell em you love em and that you hopefully will see them again someday.

It's gut wrenching for sure, but you (or at least your partner) owes it the dog to be there with him/her. The first dog I ever had to put down, I took to the vet and couldn't bear to be in the room when it went down. So I started to leave. As God is my witness, in the lobby was a younger dog who was the spitting image of the dog I was putting down (a Blue Merle Aussie) right down to the one blue/one brown eye. I rushed back in to be there with him. The second time, the vet came to my home to put down my GSD. He fought it all the way and it wasn't easy to watch. But again, I owed it to him to be there with him and wouldn't have it any other way. I couldn't imagine leaving one alone. They're family.

It's the worst pain I felt. I held my dog as it happened and that will never leave me to see the life go out of the eyes of the dog I loved so much for 15 years.

There's no magic words one can say to help. You just comfort each other. Give yourself time to grieve. Take a couple of days off work. Try to stay busy. I don't know the condition of your dog but the only way I could do it is if they were suffering and there's no more options to exhaust.

It's the worst pain I felt. I held my dog as it happened and that will never leave me to see the life go out of the eyes of the dog I loved so much for 15 years.

There's no magic words one can say to help. You just comfort each other. Give yourself time to grieve. Take a couple of days off work. Try to stay busy. I don't know the condition of your dog but the only way I could do it is if they were suffering and there's no more options to exhaust.
We are at the no more options stage. Unless the vet has some sort of miracle he can do, we have exhausted every option we can.

it is a very tough thing to do, but like many have said, if they are suffering, it's not fair to them
we had to put down shih tzu several years back. she had always had back problems and it didn't take
much for her to hurt it. once she lost her eye sight, it was even worse. she kept running into things, falling off steps, so we had no choice. i too held her as the vet gave her the shot. i am actually reliving the ordeal as
i type this. she just relaxed and was gone. took her home & buried her in the dead of winter, crying all the while
still miss her, even though we now have 2 more that are so enjoyable to be around

Reactions: precipitance
I am sorry

Most importantly, be there with your pup as this happens. We used an in-home service that I believe was completely worth it. It was tough to figure out when was the right time. I didn’t want him in pain, but I also didn’t want to rob him (and myself) of more time. I still don’t know if I made the right choice. He had Osteosarcoma (bone cancer). Him and I were walking one day and he came up with a limp. Turned out his leg had fractured due to the cancer and would never heal. Then we get the worst of it - that he has less than 2 months to live. It’s a lot to take in at once. It’ll be 1 year exactly on the 22nd of this month that I had to say goodbye. But there are 2 things that brought me a little comfort. And “a little” is much better than none.

1. Do what you can with the time you have. He loved to walk but physically could not. At this point the only thing keeping us from saying goodbye was pain management. If that leg got worse from him walking…..that would be it. So I bought a wagon to walk him in. He was a 115 lb lab, so the wagon had to be huge. I tried to give him a ride in that thing every day because he loved going on walks. We did it so much I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot. I stopped worrying about normal dog “rules” and let him have some good human food. He was eating cheeseburgers, corn dogs, chicken nuggets, etc.. Lastly, and I’m sure I am forgetting something else, spend as much time as possible with them.

2. Any regrets you have, use him/her as motivation to make your next dogs life that much better. If you wish you walked them more, walk your next dog even more. It’s a mind over matter thing, so it’s really whatever makes sense in your head. But for me, if I was actively giving my new dog a better life, It felt like it was because of my other dog……and that made me kind of feel like he was still around. Stupid? Prlly. But it made sense in my head and I guess that’s all that matters.

- So in conclusion: it’s sucks. There isn’t much that will make it better. But those are the 2 things that, when I get really upset or miss him, I think about and suddenly it’s not AS bad.

The last 24-48 hours of my 14 year old beagles life really sucked for him. Shamefully, I must admit I probably couldn’t have made the call, even though I wish I had. Dogs are just so freaking great.

Reactions: Col. Angus
My GF and I are having to put our 14 year old Cocker Spaniel to sleep tomorrow. She is having a very hard time with it. It was her dog long before she and I started our relationship. I’ve never been through this and I don’t know how to cope myself let alone help her. People who have been through this, what helped you with the grief and constant doubt that you are doing the right thing?

Cold beer before and after.

My wife and I have been married for 14 years and just put our 7th pet down two days ago. It never get s easier. You do your best to remember the life you have them and the joy they gave you. It takes time, but eventually you’ll find the next lucky dog to being home and you’ll fall in love all over again.

Reactions: drawing_dead
Was scheduled to put ours down on Tuesday after Memorial Day. Little poop-head passed away in her sleep around 4:00 AM Monday (I woke up and just knew…one of those feelings). She didn’t suffer but it was time (19 years old). Fightin’ little dog. Still hasn’t set in. Tough to type it let alone talk about it.

I'm dreading that day.

Make sure you go through a drive thru and get a sack full of burgers, etc for the dog before you head to the vet.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Sorry to hear. At our local animal clinic, staff lights a candle when a dog is put to sleep. Heard from a vet who described euthanizing dogs when the time comes. He said major heart-breaker happens when many owners leave the treatment room for obvious reasons just before the first shot. They'd rather not watch. Immediately after receiving the shot, dogs often look around for their humans. Owners aren't there.

We've put three dogs to sleep since 2003 because of old age. Rips your heart out. Our current big baby deals with liver and pancreatic issues. I spoil her every day with boiled chicken, in addition to her medicated food, as she may not be with us too much longer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: exemjr and Elbridge
We had to put down our 14 year old border collie a few years ago. She broke her front left leg. It would’ve been cruel to put her through a cast, carrying her around to go out to the bathroom since her old joints weren’t very good. It had to be done as soon as we saw the break in the X-ray. Absolutely broke our hearts so I certainly feel for you. Good luck!!

Heartbreaking. :-(

After we put Henry down, I didn't think I wanted another dog. But I didn't last more than a week before I got another one. it really helped.

i feel for you all, it's one of the toughest things you can go through IMO.

We had to put ours down a year ago yesterday. Still hurts to think about. Oddly enough it was within days we found out we were expecting a child.

There will be a time when I will get another dog- but honestly I dont know if I want another one- or if I just want my old dog back. Maybe when our daughter is a little older we will get one so they can grow up together.

I feel guilty that I waited too long, but only maybe by a month or so. He would always come up with one little burst of energy out of nowhere and I'd think maybe he was getting better- but that always faded quickly.

We also had an outdoor cat that absolutely loved the dog. Dog was indifferent about the cat. 2-3 days after we said goodbye to our pup- the cat finished a bowl of food outside, walked off, and we never saw him again. Assume he went looking for his pal.

It’s an extremely hard thing to do. I feel for you. Take peace in that your dog loved you and you did right by him. What has always helped me is getting another dog to love and occupy my attention. The love of a new puppy really goes a long way to healing the pain of the dog you just lost.

Man these are tough to read thru and I feel sorry for everyone that have lost part of their family. Growing up I always wanted a dog but we just couldn’t afford one but I always had one favorite dog that would hang out by the boats and all he ever ate was shrimp but was a great dog and everybody loved him. 🍺 🦐

Reactions: exemjr
Man these are tough to read thru and I feel sorry for everyone that have lost part of their family. Growing up I always wanted a dog but we just couldn’t afford one but I always had one favorite dog that would hang out by the boats and all he ever ate was shrimp but was a great dog and everybody loved him. 🍺 🦐
Talking about not being Able to afford a dog. Ever hear the song Salty Dog? In the old days, poor folks might have hunting dogs. They couldn't afford vets or meds. Salt was expensive to poor folk, but it would keep ticks off dogs. It was to expensive to use on all their dogs, but they would use it on their favorite dog, thus the lyric, honey let me be your salty dog.

Sorry to hear OP but sounds like you are making the right decision. It was hard not to tear up reading thru this thread, dogs are such amazing companions and the one unfortunate aspect is having to deal with their passing. I try to enjoy time with mine but I know the oldest (10 years) time is going to be here at some point in the not too distant future. Just that thought is hard to process. But, like anything in life, we will deal with it and remember the good times.

I hope you and your GF can get thru the grieving process quickly and find solace that your dog had a heckuva run.

I appreciate all the kind words and advice. Rocky crossed the rainbow bridge around 1 pm. He enjoyed snuggles, pets, and chicken nuggets all morning and til the very end. I sure am going to miss the little guy. He was my buddy and wanted to be with me wherever I was. It’s going to suck to not have him following me. Thanks again everyone.

Put two down last year. Shar-pei mix in June (old age) and a German shepherd mix in July (aggressive cancer). Not an easy thing and I feel for you. We have another who we got at the same time as the one put down in June. She struggles getting up sometimes now but when gets going she is fine. No pain yet but, she is old, and we know she is not long for this world. Pyrenees mix and her breed's average max age is 10-12 years. She is 11 1/2 now.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
It’s an extremely hard thing to do. I feel for you. Take peace in that your dog loved you and you did right by him. What has always helped me is getting another dog to love and occupy my attention. The love of a new puppy really goes a long way to healing the pain of the dog you just lost.
Yep. Got a 4-month-old puppy a week after we lost the Shepherd mix to cancer. She is now a year and 2 1/2 months old picture below with the old Pyrenees mix posted about above. The old girl is around 95lbs, the youngster is about 110lbs. She is also a Pyrenees mix with Anatolian Shepherd.

imagejpeg-0-3.jpg

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Maddie had the canine version of Lou Gehrig's Disease. She, like most boxers was very active. We walked many miles together. When it got so bad she couldn't use her back legs, she still chased off intruding dogs using only her front legs. We got her a "doggie wheel chair" for he back legs, but she absolutely hated it. Boxers can be very stubborn. Anyhow, the point is, we gave her CBD oil to help calm her nerves. It helped a lot and is worth considering for anyone facing this, but eventually she just gave up. We knew it was time then.

We have had to take the step with a couple of our dogs, dogs that my kids were raised with, I cried like a baby and still can if I dwell to hard on it. Even this thread has been hard.

I could not go out and immediately get another dog, I know it works for some, I am just not wired that way, God bless whatever works for you.

Some of the hardest work I have ever done is digging those holes.

We now have a 10 year old lab mix and she is fine, though I know we are closer to her end than her beginning.

This time my wife went out a couple years ago and got two husky 8 week old pups, I am sure it will "help" when the inevitable come for Sadie, they are stupid awesome, but nothing can fix it.

God bless OP, hope you and the GF find the best route for you.

My dog Ike is only about 2.5 and I am completely dreading that day. It will completely break my wife - the dog absolutely adores her.

I think of my Eddie Boy everyday. I just hope heaven has a rainbow bridge that when you cross it all the dogs and cats that I loved meet me on the other side. That thought makes it all bearable for me. I hope that thought give you a little comfort.

Reactions: bbncal02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT