ADVERTISEMENT

Potential way to Fix NIL

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
This off season is wild due to the NIL and businesses throwing big bucks to college players.

NIL = Name, Image and Likeness.

This whole thing started because the schools make money off the players NIL? Right? It was to also negate the already cheating of paying players anyways.

There are a plethora of advantages and disadvantages from NIL. Right now, just like the big issue is in the video game industry, NIL is basically free agency, and the "Pay to Win" model.

The Potential Fix
If the universities are making money off players NIL, why not do revenue or profit sharing with the players? Come up with a potential percentage of revenue or profit sharing for the team that they have to pay. Give 25% of that paycheck every 2 months or something until the end of the school year.

Right now, most NIL is based off marketing dollars to advertise businesses and using the players to be that catalyst for that.

I don't know... I think eventually the NIL will simmer down in a year or two because these businesses are not getting a high ROI.

This off season is wild due to the NIL and businesses throwing big bucks to college players.

This whole thing started because the schools make money off the players NIL? Right? It was to also negate the already cheating of paying players anyways.

There are a plethora of advantages and disadvantages from NIL. Right now, just like the big issue is in the video game industry, NIL is basically free agency, and the "Pay to Win" model.

The Potential Fix
If the universities are making money off players NIL, why not do revenue or profit sharing with the players? Come up with a potential percentage of revenue or profit sharing for the team that they have to pay. Give 25% of that paycheck every 2 months or something until the end of the school year.

Right now, most NIL is based off marketing dollars to advertise businesses and using the players to be that catalyst for that.

I don't know... I think eventually the NIL will simmer down in a year or two because these businesses are not getting a high ROI.
I think you could be right that the dollars will simmer down in a couple of years. However, the quickest fix to the NIL issue in my opinion doesn't actually have anything to do with the money at all. The NCAA should do away with the transfer without sitting out rule. When you sign with a college as a freshmen, it should be a 4 year agreement both ways. You can transfer before your 4 years are up, but you have to sit out a year. The biggest reason most of these guys are transferring is so they can get a big payday, get teams bidding for their service. Having to sit out a year would deflate a lot of that.

Eh...NIL ain't the problem. It's the transfer portal.

Allowing unlimited transfers is really the cause of all the roster turnover. Either go back to where a transfer had to sit out a year (can still collect NIL), or allow a player to only transfer once in their collegiate career. Very simple.

I think you could be right that the dollars will simmer down in a couple of years. However, the quickest fix to the NIL issue in my opinion doesn't actually have anything to do with the money at all. The NCAA should do away with the transfer without sitting out rule. When you sign with a college as a freshmen, it should be a 4 year agreement both ways. You can transfer before your 4 years are up, but you have to sit out a year. The biggest reason most of these guys are transferring is so they can get a big payday, get teams bidding for their service. Having to sit out a year would deflate a lot of that.
Absolutely right on that. The commitment should mean something and there needs to be consequences for transferring. Only allow a free one in certain circumstances such as a coach leaving the program.

Reactions: CatsDomain
The issue is that you cannot restrict NIL. You can do profit sharing, but that has zero effect on their ability to earn NIL.

It’s been the perfect storm…NIL and unlimited transfers without sitting out are probably 2 of the 5 biggest off the court changes in college basketball history and they happened at the same time.

I don't disagree with the solutions mentioned. I think there also needs to be some type of collective bargaining agreement made amongst schools as well. I also think all the schools need to come together and say, if you transfer, you have to pay back all of the NIL we've paid you. And the school you transfer to must pay an NIL buyout.

Ultimately though I wish they would just create a minor leage NBA and let anyone 18 or older try out and play. Let's get back to having athletes in college who legit want to earn a college degree and get a free education for playing basketball. I know it's a pipe dream and won't happen. I'm just sayin'.

NIL is an ego thing for those with wealth. Tyson food family, Jerry Jones, Waltons wiil make Ark a power most cant contend with. All Texas schools dripping in oil money. When comes to money, this state cant compete.

Reactions: TFCats11
NIL is an ego thing for those with wealth. Tyson food family, Jerry Jones, Waltons wiil make Ark a power most cant contend with.
There are wealthy boosters who are playing professional sports franchise owners … at a fraction of the cost. They are MINI sports tycoons, simply swimming in smaller ponds.

The Potential Fix

It's all relative and open to interpretation .

I'm going to echo what a few above me are saying: NIL isn't the problem. The transfer portal is the problem. It's a shitshow out there.

Reactions: bubba_bomb
We should force kids to stay at schools they do not want to be at so the fans are happy. This is ridiculous making it about the kids and their lives. Screw them, they work for us the fans, they need to do as we tell them.

I don't like it when they transfer , I don't enjoy the game as much😭😭😭😭

🤣🤣

I don't understand people who want to restrict college students. Just relax and enjoy the games. If you don't like the games stop watching, find another hobby.

There, I fixed NIL and the transfer portal

I wonder if making all athletes employees, could solve this problem. These are my assumptions, but I think that professional sports can have a salary cap because the players are employees, whereas college athletes are not, thus no ability to limit what they make.

Pros sign contracts for multiple years, college athletes, for the most part, do not. So, perhaps another way to limit transfers is to have player sign for multiple years for NIL.

To summarize, if college athletes can become employees, could there not be someone like a "commissioner" that could put a salary cap in place. Or, schools and boosters could "sign" kids to multiple years of NIL.

Reactions: justpa
When pro sports sign a free agent, don't they have to give up a draft pick?
If a university signs a kid out of the portal then they should be without one scholarship player that year.

If coaches have a buyout clause, the university signing the kid should compensate the university that is losing the kid the prior years tuition, housing, transportation and a proportional percentage of the coaching staff's salaries.

I'm positive there are flaws in these ideas but I ain't I'm a position to propose or enforce them.

No, it started because many entities (and not the kids) were making money off the kids. The schools are the least of the issue. And, while it may have negated the illegal paying of players, that had nothing to do with why it was adopted. The courts forced the NCAA, which had been dragging its feet in the name of 'amateurism' (a ship that had sailed long ago).

There are no disadvantages. Kids are making $$. No one has figured out what the marketplace should look like, so it's a bit wild.

The Potential Fix
Because it's not the Universities. It is more like boosters competing with boosters under the influence of the coaching staff. That will never be regulated.

Right now, NIL above the table is for advertising, marketing, etc.; however, the real orchestrations are under the table and you'll never see those.

I think you're correct. The current situation is unsustainable.

The Potential Fix

The only way NIL will get fixed is for the federal government to step in and legislate it.

Allowing unlimited transfers is really the cause of all the roster turnover. Either go back to where a transfer had to sit out a year (can still collect NIL), or allow a player to only transfer once in their collegiate career. Very simple.
NIL and the Transfer Portal are now intertwined and will never be separated.
The NCAA has no teeth... they now know that they can't tell a kid he may not transfer to another school... or that if he did, he couldn't play.

The transfer portal and NIL will likely add more parity to college sports and keep kids in school longer. Both of those things are improvements.

The Potential Fix

Eventually, that's what will happen to some extent. However, right now, players don't have a union to agree to that. And no one is agreeing to anything while all the rules are on the players side. The NCAA should have done this decades ago and chose not to do so. This is the penalty for not doing so.

Have you guys been in a cave? Lol. The courts have said the NCAA can’t restrict transfers because it interferes with their ability to make money off NIL. They got sued and lost. Actually withdrew before the loss. It’s illegal to restrict transfers.

The issue is that you cannot restrict NIL. You can do profit sharing, but that has zero effect on their ability to earn NIL.

It’s been the perfect storm…NIL and unlimited transfers without sitting out are probably 2 of the 5 biggest off the court changes in college basketball history and they happened at the same time.
Matt Jones was talking the other day that there may be a "salary cap" imposed by congress at some point. This is the only way it can be done. However, it needs to be per sport so that football and men's basketball doesn't take money from other sports.

Reactions: Tubbyfan78
Here is a way to fix NIL that no one thinks of. Everyone just stop cheating. University presidents should get together and universally fire anyone caught cheating. What we have is not NIL. We have pay for play under the guise of NIL. If the schools just fired anyone caught paying players to play it would stop. Ban boosters if they are caught. If A&M fired Jimbo for cause and the AD immediately, Then Tennessee did the same we would not be here.

This, give a kid 1 free transfer and another if the coach leaves. Seems fair to everyone.

Have you guys been in a cave? Lol. The courts have said the NCAA can’t restrict transfers because it interferes with their ability to make money off NIL. They got sued and lost. Actually withdrew before the loss. It’s illegal to restrict transfers.
No cave,the ncaa is just too stupid to do it. Currently when you sign a LOI, it is actually only for a single year. All they have to do is make that contract for 4 years. That contract only being for a year is the reason there is a problem. Everybody acts like the ncaa has no power, but the only reason for that is because they have been running it like an elementary school student.

Reactions: westerncat

The Potential Fix

Because the elite don’t want to share their money. How do you all not ever get this? They do everything in their power not to pay the revenue producers any of the revenues or as little as possible. They even gave you a sham organization that they control for you to be mad at while they go unscathed. It’s like politics, they have y’all treating it like a sport with 2 teams they control that you put all of your energy and focus on.

Not paying the players is priority number 1 for them. They don’t give a shit about you having to pay for NIL as long as they keep all the revenues.

Reactions: 1war
We should force kids to stay at schools they do not want to be at so the fans are happy. This is ridiculous making it about the kids and their lives. Screw them, they work for us the fans, they need to do as we tell them.

I don't like it when they transfer , I don't enjoy the game as much😭😭😭😭

🤣🤣

I don't understand people who want to restrict college students. Just relax and enjoy the games. If you don't like the games stop watching, find another hobby.

There, I fixed NIL and the transfer portal
I think there should be portal rights like squatter's rights.😂

I gotta way to fix it ———— eliminate it and tell the athletes to go pound rocks or accept a scholarship to attend college if they’re interested in furthering their education.
I know, that is a naive approach, but I’m sick of this whole mess. No wonder Jay Wright retired early.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music

Or they should have to pay an exit fee or something based on % of earnings to leave.

It’s the portal. Quick fix, the Initial scholarship is a 2 year contract to that school. Allow 1 transfer without sitting a year. Any other transfer requires a 1 year wait to play.

The Potential Fix

Restraints on a person's right to control their own NIL will never survive judicial review. Pandoras Box has been opened and there is no going back.

Ask the courts to rule on a question: are there amateur sports? The current NIL understanding says "No." Which sounds ludicrous.

The courts have ruled that the NCAA cannot restrict athletes from benefiting from their names, images, and likenesses. That sounds like a restriction on freedom of association.

If the courts agree that there cannot be a completely amateur sports organization, the NCAA needs to dissolve itself and come up with something better. Schools have no business participating in the business of being a sports franchise.

All schools get together and put a cap on it and make them sign a contract for 4 years. If they break the contract they have to pay all the NIL back. College Sports is a joke right now and everyone is fed up with it.

Reactions: ala_kat2
All schools get together and put a cap on it and make them sign a contract for 4 years. If they break the contract they have to pay all the NIL back. College Sports is a joke right now and everyone is fed up with it.
NIL money is not the schools money, it’s donor money. No sports league, professional or otherwise has the legal ability to cap NIL. The NFL and NBA cap salaries because it’s collectively bargained and the players agreed to it. NIL isn’t salary so the pros can go get as many sponsorships and money that they want.
Schools cannot tell John Tyson, Fedex, John Craft, etc…. what to do with their money, this is America.

I like things the way they are. Only reason people don't like it is because the best players may not stick around or get a better NIL deal elsewhere..what if you made bad choices & they underperformed expectations ? Still want them forced to be here 4 years ? I'd bet not ..so that whole argument is bunk if it only serves a selfish one-sided outcome. Pay up and keep them there or go find someone equally as good for less money who may also be a better chemistry fit as well ..I like the ability to tweak ya teams roster per year to meet team goals and kids who used to never make anything off their talents beyond a free ride if they were not likely to get drafted... which was slave labor compared to the billions of revenue generated IMO, can make some bank providing a valuable service of years they wont get back. Its a win-win for both. To make it fair for all teams they could do a cap of say 6.5 million. This would allow an average NIL of 500k available per 13 team members to be distributed to each player as the school sees fit BUT the total per roster cant exceed 6.5 million for every school.

Last edited:
I like things the way they are. Only reason people don't like it is because the best players may not stick around or get a better NIL deal elsewhere..what if you made bad choices & they underperformed expectations ? Still want them forced to be here 4 years ? I'd bet not ..so that whole argument is bunk if it only serves a selfish one-sided outcome. Pay up and keep them there or go find someone equally as good for less money who may also be a better chemistry fit as well ..I like the ability to tweak ya teams roster per year to meet team goals and kids who used to never make anything off their talents beyond a free ride if they were not likely to get drafted... which was slave labor compared to the billions of revenue generated IMO, can make some bank providing a valuable service. Its a win-win for both. To make it fair for all teams they could do a cap of say 6.5 million. This would allow an average NIL of 500k available per 13 team members to be distributed to each player as the school wants BUT the total cant exceed 6.5 million for every school.
Legally, NIL cannot be capped. Do you REALLY enjoy having an all new team every year? It certainly kills my interest.

No cave,the ncaa is just too stupid to do it. Currently when you sign a LOI, it is actually only for a single year. All they have to do is make that contract for 4 years. That contract only being for a year is the reason there is a problem. Everybody acts like the ncaa has no power, but the only reason for that is because they have been running it like an elementary school student.
The students wouldn’t sue and the courts wouldn’t say they can’t enforce a four year contract? The courts have said NO to any restrictions what so ever on anything that may restrict their earnings. Why wouldn’t they strike down this 4 year contract proposal?

NIL money is not the schools money, it’s donor money. No sports league, professional or otherwise has the legal ability to cap NIL. The NFL and NBA cap salaries because it’s collectively bargained and the players agreed to it. NIL isn’t salary so the pros can go get as many sponsorships and money that they want.
Schools cannot tell John Tyson, Fedex, John Craft, etc…. what to do with their money, this is America.
Why does this have to be explained every other day?? You would think everyone that’s a fan would know this by now. Still, every 3 days there is a thread where 20 people say. “We need a Cap”. Lol

I don't think it's right that players have to sit out when coaches can leave anytime. Set it at one transfer would help things

Legally, NIL cannot be capped. Do you REALLY enjoy having an all new team every year? It certainly kills my interest.
It should be though to keep things fair...not doing so is like Nascar allowing ANY engine and car combo with no rules to compete which means the biggest pockets will always have a bigger advantage. To your other point....faces dont matter..production does...sometimes a roster reset is ok if they are a bunch of guys who on paper averaged ok production but were bad chemistry ...ideally only the better players usually bail for a better deal and having a cap would help...a deep portal well to tap into is great too... anyone outside a Dilly or Reed, who will jump to the NBA fast anyway, is replaceable.

The students wouldn’t sue and the courts wouldn’t say they can’t enforce a four year contract? The courts have said NO to any restrictions what so ever on anything that may restrict their earnings. Why wouldn’t they strike down this 4 year contract proposal?
The NBA and all other professional leagues have contracts. The NCAA would have to pursue something similar. What the courts have said is that the NCAA cannot limit their NIL earnings. Of course, the entire NIL concept is not functioning as intended because schools are offering guaranteed NIL to recruit players.

Twice should the maximum #

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT