ADVERTISEMENT

(potential) returning players

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
A couple weeks ago, inside someone's thread, I created a long reply containing a paragraph of what Cal should say to each player after the season. Many of you seemed to like/agree-with what I wrote, one even saying Cal should print this off and read it to each player.

But now I'm posting this from the other perspective. Not exactly the players perspective, but as a dad of 2 boys roughly the age of these kids/players, from from a Dad's/Parent's perspective of what I would say if it was my son. Me (the UK fan) wants every one of them to return, and can come up with justifiable reasons why each should or might return (except Rob).

Rob D - You have nothing left to prove. And I think the coaches will agree. Just keep working at it, getting better, getting stronger, and I know you will be a success in the league next year.

Hart - I know it's been a frustrating year for you. You played "walk-on minutes" this year. And I'm sure you saw in practice and the coaches told you what you need to work on to improve and to be able to be a contributing player. They probably want you stronger, quicker, and to defend better. But I doubt it will happen over 1 summer. So are you ok next year also being near the end of the bench, maybe playing a bit more next year but probably topping out at 5 mpg? And a positive scenario being you start contributing as a JR, and then more as as SR. If not, then I would understand wanting to transfer elsewhere so that you can do what you've always have dreamed about doing. Who knows, maybe you go to a lesser school and prove how good you can be, and if you really liked being at UK could transfer back here.

Burks - I know you didn't play as much as you would like this year, especially after some of the guys returned from injuries. But I think you both showed the coaches some good ways you can contribute as well as good effort, but you also showed some areas you need to improve. But I know how hard you work, and believe in you that you will improve those areas this summer, and can be a big part of next year's team. You will have a year of experience over those incoming FR, just like Adou had on you this past year. And I hope you have a step forward next year like Adou did, I think you can if you work hard and are given the chance. But I do think you need to discuss with Cal & the other coaches what they see your role next year being, AND ask what types of promises may have been made to FR coming in, OR if Aaron returns how might he affect your opportunities. Because if your skill and contribution and effort dictates you deserve 30 min then you should get 30 min, if they dictate you deserve 20 min then you should get 20 min, but if they dictate you only deserve 5 min then you should get only 5 min. And then after those discussions (& what you believe from them), whatever you decide is best for you I support.

Onyenso - I want you to do what is best for you, don't worry about me/us. But you don't get re-do's, so I think you know if UK and their coaches is the right place for you to develop and get better or not. Advisors are there to advise you, but not to tell you what to do. But it was a crowded situation this year with you and Trey and Aaron and Z. And next year there are 2 new FR who play around the rim joining. If you are the only experienced front court player then I believe you will have a good role. But if there is 1 more (returnee or transfer), then I think it's important for you to ask the coach(es) how they see you and the others fitting in together. If there are 2 more, I think it will be like this year and you may not play as much as you would like, so that may not be the best place for you.

Theiro - I know last year was tough. But you worked hard last summer and showed the coaches what you can do. I love how much you improved. And if you work hard again this summer (especially on shooting) I think you have a very high ceiling. But I guess the one thing to ask Cal is does he see you more as a 3/SF or 4/PF next year? And maybe his answer will partly depend on how much you improve your shot and your ballhandling. But with how you've progressed there, I see no reason to look elsewhere. But I think you are getting close enough to ready, to "test the draft waters" and get feedback from the NBA teams on what they think you need to improve on most (if I'm applying for a job, do I ask my current employer or my future employer what skills I need to make that next step). But even if they tell you they might consider you in the 2nd round, you are rough/unpolished enough that they would have you spending next year in the G-league, so I don't see a benefit to leaving unless they surprising tell you they like you in the 1st round.

Bradshaw - I know this past year did not go as you expected, all turning south when you broke your foot at the McD game. Those 19-24 year olds were a lot stronger and more physical than the 15-19 yr olds you've played against in HS. And I'm sure playing vs Grown-Men in the NBA is even more challenging in that area. So you obviously need to get stronger, get a bit more size on you, while still maintaining your quickness and skills. If you think UK is the place to do that at, or if you think another school is, I support you either way. But don't leave because of how much you played, because I'm not sure your performance should have gotten you any more playing time. But I guess the one thing to ask Cal is does he see you more as a 4/PF or 5/C next year? I don't think you want to be a 5/C. And then how does he see you fitting in with the other wrt who plays where.

Edwards - I know this year was not the outcome you expected. You entered the season projected as a top 5 pick, then was projected not even to be drafted, and now are projected a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. You definitely should go through the draft process and see what teams say & think. Then decide if you think you can significantly improve your draft position by working hard this summer and having a much better 2nd year (like you showed in a few games late). I just don't want you to go too soon and be lost in the shuffle with a bunch of other "potential players" in the G-league. Cal certainly gave you every opportunity to succeed. But only you can make that happen.

Wagner - I know your ankle issues, even when you played, you weren't the same player that I know you are and can be. It's a shame you didn't get to show them all how good you are. I also am sure you didn't like sharing the backcourt with 3 other good players. But that's what the NBA is, everyone there is good. That competition every day will push you harder, get you better. But I still think you should go through the draft process and see what teams say & think. And then decide if you think that draft position is good enough or if you think you can significantly improve it by playing at UK another year. And yeah, maybe your decision is also affected by what Reed does.

Z - The NCAA and UK admissions office both really screwed you over this past year. But what's passed is past. Once Cal started giving you opportunities you often, but not always, did show what you can do. And I saw improvement in the little things that don't show up in stats, like knowing where to be. But your skills did show. I think you should go through the draft process and see what teams say. If you can get drafted in the 1st round go for it. But if not, I think you will really show everyone next year how good you are and can be. And then that summer NBA teams will be fighting over you.

Reed - There are a lot of considerations for you. First of all, your mom and I are fine, you don't have to worry about taking care of us, we just want you to do what's best for you and your future. Your mom and I both spent 4-5 years at UK and loved our time there. Maybe you have, or haven't. But you can only be a kid once, and once you go pro you have to start adulting (living alone probably in a big city with lots of distractions, paying bills, etc...). So if you've enjoyed "the college experience", I would understand wanting to have that 1 more year. Also that would get you 1 year closer to getting a degree (which we both did), because you never know how things will go, and so it's good to have that to fall back on. I also know it's been your dream to wear the UK blue and hit that game winning shot and win a championship for the team you've followed your whole life. And you got to do some of that, but not all of it. But there are no guarantees, even if you stay 4 years you might not win a championship, most players (even at UK) don't. I do think you should go through the draft process, see what teams tell you. They may decide you need to get stronger and quicker to effectively play vs Grown-Men. They may want to see more from you on creating your own shot. But they might also be willing to wait for you to develop in those areas while with them. But something to consider is that while the rookie contract is very nice, the one that will set you and your kids and maybe even their kids for life is that 2nd contract. So wrt the money, you want to maximize your career earnings, by increasing the chances of a larger 2nd contract. But if you do return to UK, I think you need to speak with Cal and get his confirmation that this will be your team to run.

IMO, we get back Theiro (90%), Burks (80%), then the water gets cloudy with Hart (60%), Reed (60%), Z (40%), Bradshaw (35%) Wagner (30%), Edwards (25%), Onyenso (25%), Dillingham (<1%).
I don't think we return both Reed and Wagner. It's one or the other, with 10% chance neither.
I also don't think we return both Onyenso and Z. And maybe add Bradshaw to that (just 1 of the 3).
If we lose Burks, I think it's tampering, with some school offering him a big NIL deal even though not in the portal.

Reactions: sk73
Rob D - Gone. Unless Reed and Rob are going to run it back together.
Burks - Transfer
Bradshaw - Transfer
Hart - Transfer

Onyenso - 50/50
Edwards - 75/25
Wagner - 85/15
Ivisic - 90/10
Thiero - 90/10
Sheppard - 100/0 - There is no way a Kentucky boy, born and bred by UK basketball - LITERALLY - is leaving things undone the way it ended this year. If you have any ounce of Kentucky blue in your blood you know this. He will be forgotten in the NBA, even if he surpasses anyone's expectation of him at this point. If he comes back to UK this year, he will go down as one of the favorites of all time at UK, especially if anything good happens in the postseason. If he doesn't make the Final Four/Championship game next year, he'll be back in 2025 as well, unless Cal is ousted, then Sheppard could bolt as well.

As a Kentucky native, born and bred on UK basketball, I would not let my son leave UK with that final game. The only exception would be if it had been a championship game. Reed's legacy as a UK player is nothing if he leaves after this year, and I believe his legacy at UK is far more important to him than the wealth of the NBA.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

You are talking pipe dreams.

Reed is gone
Rob is gone
Edwards is gone
Bradshaw is gone (probably transfer)
DJ is probably gone (80%)

I think Thiero and Z stay

I think Ugo transfers

We are back to square one with new class and transfers

If they were my kids I'd tell them if you want to stay and work on your game, and you've got nothing left to prove, then that's probably a smart decision. Just know that you are NOT going to be part of a team that wins anything in the post-season.

Rob D - Gone. Unless Reed and Rob are going to run it back together.
. . . .
I was very interested in this part of your post. I take it that you thought that Reed and Rob evidenced a particular respect for each-other's game and a particular enjoyment of playing together. I certainly felt that that was the case. And the possibility that they might "run it back together" is an intriguing thought.

Respectfully ... I disagree with the part of your post that suggests some underlying compulsion for Reed to come back just because . . . . [of all the things you mentioned].

What specifically from past experience tells you that anybody coming back with a Calipari lead team is going to be better than they were the previous year?

That's the unseen crutch of the Calipari One and Done Era. If players come back, they don't get better, so they might as well either move to the NBA or transfer some where else.

The good coaches know how to develop players. By the time they are juniors or seniors they are leading the team and helping the freshmen and sophomores pull their weight. Because they've been through full seasons under a coach's leadership for 2 or 3 seasons before - they know what to expect.

I don't think Calipari knows how to develop players. He knows (or used to) how to showcase players for the NBA. Being called a "coach" is just a title that he gets to use while he uses the platform to showcase his players.

UK has actually had some very good seasons when some freshmen we thought we might lose came back. 2012, 2015 and 2019 come to mind.

It depends on the players returning and the new players around them though.

What specifically from past experience tells you that anybody coming back with a Calipari lead team is going to be better than they were the previous year?

That's the unseen crutch of the Calipari One and Done Era. If players come back, they don't get better, so they might as well either move to the NBA or transfer some where else.

The good coaches know how to develop players. By the time they are juniors or seniors they are leading the team and helping the freshmen and sophomores pull their weight. Because they've been through full seasons under a coach's leadership for 2 or 3 seasons before - they know what to expect.

I don't think Calipari knows how to develop players. He knows (or used to) how to showcase players for the NBA. Being called a "coach" is just a title that he gets to use while he uses the platform to showcase his players.
Cal has had several players come back that improved

I don’t think that the majority of posters here know that Z has entered the draft twice (withdrawn his name both times). That should tell you where he wants to be. If there is any promise of being drafted (in any round), I think he is gone.

Reactions: westerncat

Nick Richards, PJ Washington, Immanuel Quickley, Tyler Ulis, and several others think you are full of shit.

I don’t think that the majority of posters here know that Z has entered the draft twice (withdrawn his name both times). That should tell you where he wants to be. If there is any promise of being drafted (in any round), I think he is gone.
Well we are in luck, the last draft updates I have seen, I have not seen Z on ANY of them. Also, he has used up his allotment of getting feed back and being able to return. He has done it twice already.

Well we are in luck, the last draft updates I have seen, I have not seen Z on ANY of them. Also, he has used up his allotment of getting feed back and being able to return. He has done it twice already.
I’m no expert on that specific rule. Does that apply to everyone or only kids in college? He wasn’t in college the first two times he entered.

Rob - NBA 7th pick
Edwards - NBA 45th pick
Wagner - transfer Memphis/Rutgers
Bradshaw - transfer USC
Sheppard - coming back to boost attendance
Z - he back
Adou - he back
Ugonna - Burks - Hart - transfer
Though I would like to bring Hart and Burks back but I think they read the tea leaves and know cal got a million freshman coming and is gonna be pressured to grab 2-3 out of portal.

Thiero: I'm sorry I keep spelling your name wrong. I promise I'll figure it out by next fall.

Nick Richards, PJ Washington, Immanuel Quickley, Tyler Ulis, and several others think you are full of shit.

I would argue that most of the players that came back that appeared to get better, only got "better" because they played more and got more showcase time.

There's too many other players that transferred out after not playing that go on to actually play meaningful minutes at another university.

Any player that comes back from this year's squad, I'm not going to hold my breath that they will be any better next year.

UK has actually had some very good seasons when some freshmen we thought we might lose came back. 2012, 2015 and 2019 come to mind.

2012 also had 3 really good players that cam back with the freshman. Miller was the glue / Lamb was our scorer / Jones was our muscle. They were as much a reason as Davis was on that team. Those 4 with MKG.
2015 had a mix of players.

So if some would come back maybe. I doubt enough come back. We are now in the portal days. it is not easy for new portal guys (older guys) coming in to mix with the freshman and then make a cohesive unit.

I’m not saying it’s because of Cal. But we’ve had several who’ve improved: Harrelson, Liggins, Miller, WCS, Ulis, Willis, PJ, Richards, Quickley, Reeves, Theiro
and yes several who didn’t:
the twins, Poythress, Lee, Briscoe, Hagans, Brooks, Wheeler (I started to add Collins, but he had special circumstances)

It’s almost a 50/50 proposition by the numbers.

Hopefully he knows that (if he enters he can’t pull-out)

Just expect them all to leave. If a few decide to return, it's a nice surprise.

You would think some folks would learn after 15 years of this.

What you described is the only way to go about player stay/go situations under Cal.

That's the secret sauce for high profile programs. Look now at UNC, Arizona, Duke, and Purdue. If fringe NBA talent returns to play then you have a much better chance at post season success.

Reactions: celtikat33

Most players do better staying here with Cal instead of transferring other schools - Lamb, Jones, Stien, Poythress, Hawkins, Willis, Harrison(s), Briscoe, Hagans, Johnson, Quigley, PJ, Richards. I can only think of a few that have transferred and done well at other colleges- Juzang, Wiltjer. IMO that's what hurt's us ( our current system) is players leaving for other than the NBA. We should have 3 or 4 returning next yr, but as others have said expect none and if we get 1 or 2 that's a plus.

Just one of another million threads on this.

Did I read it?

No.

But, I’ve read the same before and will again.

Rob - NBA 7th pick
Edwards - NBA 45th pick
Wagner - transfer Memphis/Rutgers
Bradshaw - transfer USC
Sheppard - coming back to boost attendance
Z - he back
Adou - he back
Ugonna - Burks - Hart - transfer
Though I would like to bring Hart and Burks back but I think they read the tea leaves and know cal got a million freshman coming and is gonna be pressured to grab 2-3 out of portal.

This seems spot on to me except I think Reed goes as well.

"run it back" is such a worn-out phrase, and I've only been hearing about it since the loss. Did that come from Reddit or something?

Didn't say anything about talent. About some BS behind the scenes. Thiero's situation may be the most F'd up for media to investigate if they want behind the scenes dirt.
Adou should be the starting 4 next year and play 30 minutes a game, here is the problem as always, Cal has a top 10 recruit that he is bringing in that I am sure is not expecting to play 10 minutes a game. Quaintance may e the next Durant, I have no idea but I think somebody said he will only be 17 next year, I doubt he is ready to battle 22 year olds.

A couple weeks ago, inside someone's thread, I created a long reply containing a paragraph of what Cal should say to each player after the season. Many of you seemed to like/agree-with what I wrote, one even saying Cal should print this off and read it to each player.

But now I'm posting this from the other perspective. Not exactly the players perspective, but as a dad of 2 boys roughly the age of these kids/players, from from a Dad's/Parent's perspective of what I would say if it was my son. Me (the UK fan) wants every one of them to return, and can come up with justifiable reasons why each should or might return (except Rob).

Rob D - You have nothing left to prove. And I think the coaches will agree. Just keep working at it, getting better, getting stronger, and I know you will be a success in the league next year.

Hart - I know it's been a frustrating year for you. You played "walk-on minutes" this year. And I'm sure you saw in practice and the coaches told you what you need to work on to improve and to be able to be a contributing player. They probably want you stronger, quicker, and to defend better. But I doubt it will happen over 1 summer. So are you ok next year also being near the end of the bench, maybe playing a bit more next year but probably topping out at 5 mpg? And a positive scenario being you start contributing as a JR, and then more as as SR. If not, then I would understand wanting to transfer elsewhere so that you can do what you've always have dreamed about doing. Who knows, maybe you go to a lesser school and prove how good you can be, and if you really liked being at UK could transfer back here.

Burks - I know you didn't play as much as you would like this year, especially after some of the guys returned from injuries. But I think you both showed the coaches some good ways you can contribute as well as good effort, but you also showed some areas you need to improve. But I know how hard you work, and believe in you that you will improve those areas this summer, and can be a big part of next year's team. You will have a year of experience over those incoming FR, just like Adou had on you this past year. And I hope you have a step forward next year like Adou did, I think you can if you work hard and are given the chance. But I do think you need to discuss with Cal & the other coaches what they see your role next year being, AND ask what types of promises may have been made to FR coming in, OR if Aaron returns how might he affect your opportunities. Because if your skill and contribution and effort dictates you deserve 30 min then you should get 30 min, if they dictate you deserve 20 min then you should get 20 min, but if they dictate you only deserve 5 min then you should get only 5 min. And then after those discussions (& what you believe from them), whatever you decide is best for you I support.

Onyenso - I want you to do what is best for you, don't worry about me/us. But you don't get re-do's, so I think you know if UK and their coaches is the right place for you to develop and get better or not. Advisors are there to advise you, but not to tell you what to do. But it was a crowded situation this year with you and Trey and Aaron and Z. And next year there are 2 new FR who play around the rim joining. If you are the only experienced front court player then I believe you will have a good role. But if there is 1 more (returnee or transfer), then I think it's important for you to ask the coach(es) how they see you and the others fitting in together. If there are 2 more, I think it will be like this year and you may not play as much as you would like, so that may not be the best place for you.

Theiro - I know last year was tough. But you worked hard last summer and showed the coaches what you can do. I love how much you improved. And if you work hard again this summer (especially on shooting) I think you have a very high ceiling. But I guess the one thing to ask Cal is does he see you more as a 3/SF or 4/PF next year? And maybe his answer will partly depend on how much you improve your shot and your ballhandling. But with how you've progressed there, I see no reason to look elsewhere. But I think you are getting close enough to ready, to "test the draft waters" and get feedback from the NBA teams on what they think you need to improve on most (if I'm applying for a job, do I ask my current employer or my future employer what skills I need to make that next step). But even if they tell you they might consider you in the 2nd round, you are rough/unpolished enough that they would have you spending next year in the G-league, so I don't see a benefit to leaving unless they surprising tell you they like you in the 1st round.

Bradshaw - I know this past year did not go as you expected, all turning south when you broke your foot at the McD game. Those 19-24 year olds were a lot stronger and more physical than the 15-19 yr olds you've played against in HS. And I'm sure playing vs Grown-Men in the NBA is even more challenging in that area. So you obviously need to get stronger, get a bit more size on you, while still maintaining your quickness and skills. If you think UK is the place to do that at, or if you think another school is, I support you either way. But don't leave because of how much you played, because I'm not sure your performance should have gotten you any more playing time. But I guess the one thing to ask Cal is does he see you more as a 4/PF or 5/C next year? I don't think you want to be a 5/C. And then how does he see you fitting in with the other wrt who plays where.

Edwards - I know this year was not the outcome you expected. You entered the season projected as a top 5 pick, then was projected not even to be drafted, and now are projected a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. You definitely should go through the draft process and see what teams say & think. Then decide if you think you can significantly improve your draft position by working hard this summer and having a much better 2nd year (like you showed in a few games late). I just don't want you to go too soon and be lost in the shuffle with a bunch of other "potential players" in the G-league. Cal certainly gave you every opportunity to succeed. But only you can make that happen.

Wagner - I know your ankle issues, even when you played, you weren't the same player that I know you are and can be. It's a shame you didn't get to show them all how good you are. I also am sure you didn't like sharing the backcourt with 3 other good players. But that's what the NBA is, everyone there is good. That competition every day will push you harder, get you better. But I still think you should go through the draft process and see what teams say & think. And then decide if you think that draft position is good enough or if you think you can significantly improve it by playing at UK another year. And yeah, maybe your decision is also affected by what Reed does.

Z - The NCAA and UK admissions office both really screwed you over this past year. But what's passed is past. Once Cal started giving you opportunities you often, but not always, did show what you can do. And I saw improvement in the little things that don't show up in stats, like knowing where to be. But your skills did show. I think you should go through the draft process and see what teams say. If you can get drafted in the 1st round go for it. But if not, I think you will really show everyone next year how good you Reed - There are a lot of considerations for you. First of all, your mom and I are fine, you don't have to worry about taking care of us, we just want you to do what's best for you and your future. Your mom and I both spent 4-5 years at UK and loved our time there. Maybe you have, or haven't. But you can only be a kid once, and once you go pro you have to start adulting (living alone probably in a big city with lots of distractions, paying bills, etc...). So if you've enjoyed "the college experience", I would understand wanting to have that 1 more year. Also that would get you 1 year closer to getting a degree (which we both did), because you never know how things will go, and so it's good to have that to fall back on. I also know it's been your dream to wear the UK blue and hit that game winning shot and win a championship for the team you've followed your whole life. And you got to do some of that, but not all of it. But there are no guarantees, even if you stay 4 years you might not win a championship, most players (even at UK) don't. I do think you should go through the draft process, see what teams tell you. They may decide you need to get stronger and quicker to effectively play vs Grown-Men. They may want to see more from you on creating your own shot. But they might also be willing to wait for you to develop in those areas while with them. But something to consider is that while the rookie contract is very nice, the one that will set you and your kids and maybe even their kids for life is that 2nd contract. So wrt the money, you want to maximize your career earnings, by increasing the chances of a larger 2nd contract. But if you do
I’m not reading all of that.

Or

lol J/K each one is very reasonable.

Absolute best case scenario next year:
PG: Reed or DJ ( more likely than not we do t have either) Fland backup
SG: Top Portal transfer (Richmond)
SF: Top Portal Transfer (Knox)
PF: Adou (QUAINTANCE)
C: Who the hell knows ( One of the three come back, doesn’t really matter) Portal Center and Somto

Thiero's Dad is a bit delusional, some oddities during the year so nothing will surprise me there.
I have zero inside info, but I’ve had a gut feeling for probably the last third of the season that Dillingham probably regretted coming to KY. I just figured he felt like he could’ve gone to another school, been a starter, had just as good if not a better season, and still been just as high on the draft boards.
He always seemed to say the right things when asked but what do you expect him to say?
Now his team lost in the first round to Oakland and his two home state schools are in the sweet 16.
Any scoop on this and am I wrong in my assumption?

Absolute best case scenario next year:
PG: Reed or DJ ( more likely than not we do t have either) Fland backup
SG: Top Portal transfer (Richmond)
SF: Top Portal Transfer (Knox)
PF: Adou (QUAINTANCE)
C: Who the hell knows ( One of the three come back, doesn’t really matter) Portal Center and Somto
I think odds are Reed or DJ returns. Extremely unlikely both do.
I also think Cal will want to play Adou at the 3. If he improves his 3pt shot, I'm ok with that. He's not bad at it, but not good either right now (10-31, 32.3% his 1st 2 yrs). Needs to get that over 35%.

I know many of you say Bradshaw is too weak in the post, which is absolutely right. And I don't think he can get strong enough & big enough to change that in 1 summer. But I could see him and Quaintance pair up nicely, Quaintance providing the muscle, Bradshaw blocking shots from help. Although I'd prefer Z.

BEST CASE (with each one of these >20% chance of happening):
PG- Reed
SG- top portal guy (40+% 3pt, think healthy Grady or better)
SF- Theiro (with improved 3pt shot)
PF- Z (stronger, more used to US game)
C- top portal guy like Omoroyi (Rutg)
Bench contributors: Fland, Richmond, Quiantance, Burks, Knox
That is a REALLY GOOD team (contender)!

WORST CASE:
PG- Fland
SG- Richmond
SF- Knox
PF- Quaintance
C- good go a lot of different ways, but someone < Omoroyi or Z
Bench: Cyril, Perry, Theiro (because Cal plays Knox & Richmond), a couple mediocre portal guys due to our NIL problems
That team doesn't win 20 games, might struggle to be over .500. But it surely gets Cal the boot.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT