ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Postgame Press Conference: UK vs. Arkansas

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY

UK HEAD COACH JOHN CALIPARI Q&A:

* Asked about subbing out Reeves, Cal says he had a close friend of his in business who told him he doesn't have to defend his decisions. Weird. But it sounds like he just felt like it was fine with the guys on the floor.

* Question 2, about this team aging him, says his past teams probably spoiled everyone. Again, starts rambling about his critics. LOL

* Proud of Justin Edwards for the big pull-up J and the 3 that helped end the game. To do that while not playing much was really good stuff.

* Cal says Reed Sheppard reminded him lately that Big Z is really good, just had not played in a long time. Coming into his own. Loved the way Aaron Bradshaw played today, too. Got some good play from the bigs off the bench,

* Talking about losing again. (Haven't they won two exciting SEC games back to back? Am I in the Bizarro World?) No idea what is happening in this press conference.

* Arkansas broke us down and got baskets. We just happened to get more than them.

* This game is going to help us grow.

* Said he went to a zone a couple of times today. "Is everybody happy? They made a 3." Asked what are the drawbacks of staying in a zone, Cal says not many teams who stay in a zone have "done stuff." (I think he means deep run.). The good news about their zone, Cal adds, is that they have no idea what they're doing, so the opponent has no idea, either. Adds that its hard to rebound out of a zone.

* On Rob Dillingham being able to go from cold to hot in a hurry... A lot of guys who live in the gym, work on their games, have extreme confidence that, even if they miss two, they're going to make their next two or make a game-winner.

* Cal says can you imagine what these guys are hearing, the stuff that is said about them? I respect these guys. There's never been an era like this. This is ridiculous for these kids, and on top of that, you're playing everybody's best effort when they play you.

* Loves Big Z's spirit. "He's like a 7-foot-2 12-year-old."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News