ADVERTISEMENT

Post game show

But in your same scenario the smaller company has MUCH smaller expectations for what YOU need to accomplish to be considered successful. At the bigger already established company if you don’t perform at the HIGHEST level in a short amount of time, you are FIRED.

That is how “capitalism works”.

Now which company is best to work for?
The choice is a personal one, but you reiterated my point. Stoops chose the challenge of building something from nothing and he has done that exceptionally well, but too many fans are using his salary as a barometer of his perceived success, when I would argue he is getting paid market rate (one could argue higher end of appropriate range). People who can't process nuance think the 10th highest paid coach should have the 10th ranked team and that is elementary school thinking. If you have a top 50+ program(before Stoops arrived), then you hire a top 25 coach and hope he gets you to top 35 level. Program progressed and coach and staff progressed, so they get raises to top 10-15 and you hope they take the program to top 25 level. Continuing this thought experiment, even if we hired the #1 coach, the program, due to its inherent systemic deficiencies, would never become an elite UGA/Bama/OSU level program. So, to circle back to my original argument, we have to pay more for a quality coach than some other programs, so they need to take that into consideration when evaluating Stoops. He is not overpaid for what he has achieved. We all want him to continue to rise, but the salary is not the problem.

The choice is a personal one, but you reiterated my point. Stoops chose the challenge of building something from nothing and he has done that exceptionally well, but too many fans are using his salary as a barometer of his perceived success, when I would argue he is getting paid market rate (one could argue higher end of appropriate range). People who can't process nuance think the 10th highest paid coach should have the 10th ranked team and that is elementary school thinking. If you have a top 50+ program(before Stoops arrived), then you hire a top 25 coach and hope he gets you to top 35 level. Program progressed and coach and staff progressed, so they get raises to top 10-15 and you hope they take the program to top 25 level. Continuing this thought experiment, even if we hired the #1 coach, the program, due to its inherent systemic deficiencies, would never become an elite UGA/Bama/OSU level program. So, to circle back to my original argument, we have to pay more for a quality coach than some other programs, so they need to take that into consideration when evaluating Stoops. He is not overpaid for what he has achieved. We all want him to continue to rise, but the salary is not the problem.
But you just proved my point that once the PAY increases, the EXPECTATIONS are also going to INCREASE. So, by making a Top 10 salary, the results need to INCREASE to close to that level. And, if they don’t, the coach MUST be held to a higher standard than when he was hired. Should he get EVERY opportunity to raise the production level because of how hard he worked to get us to this level, UNQUESTIONABLY YES!!

But, with the salary we are willing to pay now, the results MUST be higher.

If you look at that and can't see progress, then I don't know what to tell you. Ascension is never linear, but the trend line is clearly upwards and already in unprecedented territory for this school in modern times. I get being upset at losing to Mizzou and Tennessee, I flew up for the Mizzou game and paid $1200 for 4 tix, so I get it, but to think Stoops hasn't improved this team enough to consider getting rid of him is asinine and frankly seems entitled. If you believe Stoops isn't cutting it, then surely you have a handful of comparisons of coaches in similar circumstances that have outperformed Stoops. Find me some peer schools (meaning not elite/former elite-no Bama, UGA, LSU, aTm, OSU, Michigan, FSU etc), teams like OK St, Mizzou, USCjr, Michigan State etc that have a recent track record of consistent winning football and uninterrupted trips to bowl games that is more impressive than Stoops.

2023SEC530.625230.4003.74-2.1420Mark Stoops (5-3)
22022SEC760.538350.3756.054.7420724Mark Stoops (7-6)Music City Bowl (L)
32021SEC1030.769530.6258.730.5011181822Mark Stoops (10-3)Citrus Bowl (W)
42020SEC560.455460.4006.126.9423Mark Stoops (5-6)Gator Bowl (W)
52019SEC850.615350.3755.920.15Mark Stoops (8-5)Belk Bowl (W)
62018SEC1030.769530.62512.064.371112914Mark Stoops (10-3)Citrus Bowl (W)
72017SEC760.538440.5001.302.92Mark Stoops (7-6)Music City Bowl (L)
82016SEC760.538440.5002.302.76Mark Stoops (7-6)TaxSlayer Bowl (L)
92015SEC570.417260.250-4.090.41Mark Stoops (5-7)
102014SEC570.417260.2501.553.89Mark Stoops (5-7)
112013SEC2100.167080.000-3.515.41Mark Stoops (2-10)
122012SEC2100.167080.000-

If you read my posts, I have NEVER said that we should be “getting rid of” Coach Stoops. I just expect his team in year 11 to NOT make the SAME mistakes that cost UK games his first 4 years. Poor alignment, falling down and tackling on defense, stupid mistakes and penalties, dropped passes and missed blocking assignments, lack of recognition and lately squawking at the opponent.

Losing games when we are outmanned is understandable. But playing sloppily and making unforced errors that make it even MORE difficult to beat Mizzou, UT and even Vandy last season should be considered uncalled for at this point in the Stoops tenure!!

I want Coach Stoops to FIX IT!! I really hope he can because that would be the BEST solution for the program. I can guarantee you that Coach Stoops and his staff would acknowledge that they WANT their teams to play at a level that we would NEVER have to worry about giving games away.

One of the callers last night, a woman, asked a pertinent question. Why does it take this staff 8 games in to the season to figure out what Leary's strengths as a QB are and to use him that way? Seems like we ran a more tempo offense last night and both Leary and the WRs looked night and day better, particularly in a game where they had to as everyone and their brother knew UT was locked in on shutting down our run game.

Just curious, has Stoops or anyone else come up with a name yet for our Football "Bennies"?

Fair point, but only twice has CMS managed to lose less than 4 conference games in any given season...

No team ever fielded will compete for a title with 3, 4 and 5 losses in conference...

uFqwA40.png

That's pretty sad if we have paid 6-9M a year for 11 years and only have two winning conference records to show for it.

Reactions: CatPhight
Just to continue my thoughts here. Anyone hear the MS show Monday night ? He sure does spend a lot do time telling us how hard the SEC is. Guess he thinks we just started paying attention to that when he showed up.

I have always liked and supported MS. But his comments continue to make me think he has peaked.

Then on KSR this week and MJ and the gang are telling us this the best it can be. Maybe someone should have convinced them an AM station in Louisville was the best it can be for them too.

I agree with Matt. NIL alone almost guarantees UK won't ever win the SEC again. It will only get worse in the next 3 to 5 years.

I am a titans fan but I still cheer for them despite knowing they may never win a super bowl or when get back there again. Same logic applies to me with any team, including uk football.
Titans have a lot better shot at winning SB in future than UK does at winning SEC ever. Hell, T's even have Will the Thrill at QB now.

Is it possible we’re seeing a QB in his first year with program who is finally getting comfortable in the offense and getting in sync with his best receivers? I suspect it may be and highlights why it’s important we start developing QB’s within our program and not merely relying on the portal.
Actually, he's in his last year with the program.

Reactions: catben
This is the kind of view that guarantees we won't ever be an occasional contender. Just telling people to deal with it guarantees our position in football.
Fans' views aren't what makes a team a contender or not.

If you read my posts, I have NEVER said that we should be “getting rid of” Coach Stoops. I just eect his team in year 11 to NOT make the SAME mistakes that cost UK games his first 4 years. Poor alignment, falling down and tackling on defense, stupid mistakes and penalties, dropped passes and missed blockssignments, lack of recognition and lately squawking at the opponent.

Losing games when we are outmanned is understandable. But playing sloppily and making unforced errors that make it even MORE difficult to beat Mizzou, UT and even Vandy last season should be considered uncalled for at this point in the Stoops tenure!!

I want Coach Stoops to FIX IT!! I really hope he can because that would be the BEST solution for the program. I can guarantee you that Coach Stoops and his staff would acknowledge that they WANT their teams to play at a level that we would NEVER have to worry about giving games away.
11 years is more than generous to Stoops ...

His abilities have been shown.... We shouldn't be angry at him because he is who he is.... It's our continued acceptance of mediocrity that we should be angry about

There will be plenty of great candidates for 8-9million/year.... Give them a 3 year guarantee and if no noticeable improvements; i.e. leaving wide receivers uncovered at the end of a game, etc. etc. then time to move along...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT