ADVERTISEMENT

Pope on KSR

Confirmed Reed is coming back!!!!

j/k

Honestly, there's a chance his workouts dont go all that great, and he slips to be more of a mid round pick.. at that point, I think he should come back.

But it sure sounds like he's gone no matter what. I actually believe he could fall to fringe 1st rounder and he'd still go.

Said they a keeping some roster spots available for players who may pull out of the draft. YES!

Although, this is kind of interesting.

You really shouldn't wait that long, it's kind of risky.. however, all these players going to the NBA are obviously highly talented, and I'd say any of them could come get a starting roster spot on our team.

So that sort of makes me think that maybe there is some real possibility of someone doing this, and that Pope and his staff might feel confident.

We know that every year, dozens of players drop from the draft in these coming weeks.

Honestly, there's a chance his workouts dont go all that great, and he slips to be more of a mid round pick.. at that point, I think he should come back.

But it sure sounds like he's gone no matter what. I actually believe he could fall to fringe 1st rounder and he'd still go.
I unfortunately agree with both your points.

I want him back, but don't see it

And if he's gone I hope he goes high, but I could see him falling in workouts. Pro teams get enamored with measurables and not basketball IQ

LOVED everything from CMP!

Only thing that gave me paused - Matt causally mentioned after the interview he “wasn’t sure” if Mahaney was going to happen - and while Brea “is great” there are “lots of guys who can shoot”

Yes —

But still hoping for those guys!

Reactions: RunninRichie

You really shouldn't wait that long, it's kind of risky.. however, all these players going to the NBA are obviously highly talented, and I'd say any of them could come get a starting roster spot on our team.

So that sort of makes me think that maybe there is some real possibility of someone doing this, and that Pope and his staff might feel confident.

We know that every year, dozens of players drop from the draft in these coming weeks.
Probably mostly in reference to Robinson and/or Wells I would think.

Reactions: EliteBlue

This is what I've been saying. Even if it's 5% chance, it's still possible. I do expect him to drop, the question is "how much?". If only 5-10 spots then probably stays in. I expect the drop because on top of not being quick, he isn't strong. Rob can get away with the lack of strength because of how quick he is. Wallace could get away with the lack of quickness because of his strength. What don't want to see is Reed struggle vs Grown MEN and have some developing to do like Tyty did (who was projected I think 8-15).

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
This is what I've been saying. Even if it's 5% chance, it's still possible. I do expect him to drop, the question is "how much?". If only 5-10 spots then probably stays in. I expect the drop because on top of not being quick, he isn't strong. Rob can get away with the lack of strength because of how quick he is. Wallace could get away with the lack of quickness because of his strength. What don't want to see is Reed struggle vs Grown MEN and have some developing to do like Tyty did (who was projected I think 8-15).

Yeah thats why I really don't know why Reed and his camp kind of made the stance of "NBA no matter what". I think there's a chance Reed could be a disaster in the NBA in his first few years, and that sort of thing can completely derail you. I really didn't think it would be a huge deal for him to play one more year.. he has money, his game is perfect for longevity in the NBA, he can make millions in NIL, and it would have been a huge favor from the Sheppard family to Reed.

Maybe it's just me being a selfish fan.. but I was kind of disappointed to see him not only leave, but not even really open the door to come back. Like, was returning for just one more year at Kentucky (when he probably thought he'd be a 3-4 year player) before still being a 1st round pick THAT much of an ask?

After going through so many years of Cal clearly NOT understanding the assignment, I don’t care if Pope says it every damn day for as long as he’s our coach.
Poop ice cream
I can’t hide you
let me say this
Random gobbledygook phrases ad nauseam
Everybody’s Super Bowl

And people are already complaining about this? Seriously?

I unfortunately agree with both your points.

I want him back, but don't see it

And if he's gone I hope he goes high, but I could see him falling in workouts. Pro teams get enamored with measurables and not basketball IQ
If he did drop into late first round, it might end up being a better situation with a more stable franchise that can let him develop over time.

I know he would lose on on rookie contract money but might be better set up for the second contract if he’s given time to develop.

Confirmed Reed is coming back!!!!

j/k
go fuck yourself middle finger GIF

If he did drop into late first round, it might end up being a better situation with a more stable franchise that can let him develop over time.

I know he would lose on on rookie contract money but might be better set up for the second contract if he’s given time to develop.

It's probably what a player like REED should be hoping for, honestly.

But, the argument can then be made, don't go into a weak draft this year, where you're going to get drafted by by the poorly run Washington Wizards, where the organization and fans expect you to be a cornerstone piece. Instead, come back to UK, become a living legend in the state, enjoy life a little more, STILL get paid, and then go 17th next year to the Spurs to be a 2nd or 3rd option with Wemby.

Poop ice cream
I can’t hide you
let me say this
Everybody’s Super Bowl

First, I was semi-joking about it. Second, I wasn't complaining. I have heard him say this line during every recorded audio clip since he has been the coach. To be fair to CMP, UK fans listen to everything he's putting out, so it's not a new line for us. For non-UK fans, it's a one-liner they have not heard from him. I loved the line at the press conference. I am grateful, like @Wonky said, that we have a coach that understands the assignment. I was just making a joke about the line, because I've listened to a dozen or so audio clips from CMP since his hiring and he has said it every time.

Poop ice cream
I can’t hide you
let me say this
Everybody’s Super Bowl

You forgot the most ridiculous one of all, “HAVENT SEEN HIM”

Youre the GD headcoach what do you mean. It sounds like hes lost control of his own program when he says that. It was infuriating especially with sharpe

Last edited:
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

There are actually a ton of guys who come back. Last year, there were 196 guys enter the draft early. 114 of them came back to college. I'm not sure how many of them transferred. I agree that it can be risky if you're looking at multiple roster spots, but is a good strategy if you're looing at 1 or 2.

There are actually a ton of guys who come back. Last year, there were 196 guys enter the draft early. 114 of them came back to college. I'm not sure how many of them transferred. I agree that it can be risky if you're looking at multiple roster spots, but is a good strategy if you're looing at 1 or 2.

I guess risky in the sense of holding out on players NOW, if you're trying to get one who drops out of the draft. But I'd think the staff has already put out a ton of calls and has an idea of a few guys who will come to UK if they opt to bail on the draft.

Reactions: bthaunert

It's a great point. I personally love the one about some fans thinking we're now going to get detailed medical evaluations after every injury. Pope is going to stand up there and tell us he doesn't know/we don't need the details, in just a different arrangement of words than what Cal's line was.

Having a line like "I understand the assignment" is no different than any other coach-speak out there, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Pope isn't going to say and do things that you don't agree with.

It's a great point. I personally love the one about some fans thinking we're now going to get detailed medical evaluations after every injury. Pope is going to stand up there and tell us he doesn't know/we don't need the details, in just a different arrangement of words than what Cal's line was.

Having a line like "I understand the assignment" is no different than any other coach-speak out there, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Pope isn't going to say and do things that you don't agree with.

He already has said and done things I don’t agree with. I’m a man and can live with that. I still want him as our coach and understanding the assignment is #1 priority. He’s already backed up those words, it’s not just coach speak. He’s very aware if he doesn’t perform very well from the jump, we all will be calling for his head.

He gets it, understands it, respects it and expects it! 😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT