ADVERTISEMENT

Pope is still young and has great energy

May 17, 2024
I remember Pope on the 96 squad always having that abundance of energy as the captain. I was excited yesterday talking at work about how he still young energetic and big and strong enough to get in there with those kids and teach with his body as well like he did as a player and captain.
He knows the reps of those MONSTER defensive sets reflexively and has taught a team before with clear successful results. I can't help but think he's looking back on those defensive victories fondly with these multiple, and multi year rabid defensive poys and fifth year senior weapons he got.
He specifically targeted tough minded proven strong players whose burning desire to win is greater than the pain of their burning legs from so much work on defense. He KNOWS the value of the mental and physical game, not just the stars beside the name.

Pope is my age. As much as I want to think I'm young I know I'm not. He is young in terms if he is sort of new to head coaching (only 5 or 6 years I think).
I'm just a lil behind you at 49 and definitely aware I'm not 21 but still plenty young to do what I want and get around well!

Reactions: L.O.D.
He’s 51, that ain’t young.
Cracks me up reading this. To me 51 is young ! I will be 79 next month and I bet half of you could not stay up with me. Put in a full days work in the garden today and a lot of young people can even keep up with me. :)

That ain’t old either. He should have at least another 20 years left in him. According to Joe B, he only needs 10.
My point exactly, I was raised by some old school guys that enjoyed out working groups of teenagers by themselves in their 80s, no kidding. Silent generation is a different breed, and gave me faith in myself to be strong in my old age like their example. So to me yes 51 is young!

Cracks me up reading this. To me 51 is young ! I will be 79 next month and I bet half of you could not stay up with me. Put in a full days work in the garden today and a lot of young people can even keep up with me. :)
See, this is the attitude of people raised by the silent generation. Mostly silent, because they didn't complain and they were way more about actions than words, I admire them greatly.
Leading by example sir, the best way to do it!

Pope is 51; Calipari was 51 when he was hired by UK. Pope is actually a few months OLDER than Cal was at the date of hire. Hurley is 51, and Oats will be 50 in October. This is a 10 year job; it was around year 10 when things took a turn for the worse with Cal (year 10 was the 2019 season when we lost to Auburn in the Elite Eight). I know Pope is kinda the "Anti-Cal" right now, but let's see what he does on the hardwood. It looks like we will not get into a midseason tournament, because the spots have been filled, but thank God that this is (hopefully) the last time we have the "Bluegrass Showcase" where we play N.Michigan, Kennesaw St, Lamar, and Towson (maybe we should invite Oakland and St Peters). We will not go to Maui until at least 2026, as the field for 2025 has been set. Maybe we'll play in the Nike tournament in 2027. Who knows, but I like what Pope is saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT