ADVERTISEMENT

Pope is going to have to prove himself

Bullshit!!! Nobody lost its entire roster AND all but one of its recruiting class AFTER the NCAA Tournament. All of the top hundred recruits were committed and coaching staffs had been recruiting the best portal players at least 2 weeks before he was hired. He has only had a full staff for about 2 weeks. As for realistic expectations related to portal and NIL your are just spouting what you THINK as this is only the 2nd real year of this system so a realistic baseline for the norm has not been established. Once again NOBODY has been forced to field a team under conditions AND the limited time frame Pope has faced. This thread is mainly a bunch of guys grousing because YOUR guy didn't get hired and setting a bar year one so high it can't be reached. Then next year you all can sit on your high horses and smugly tell us " I told you so". Give Pope a FAIR chance which might mean lowering expectations for next year ( a waste of time because I know some will not)
Wow calm down bro. I participated in this thread and believe March games will be won this coming year. And if you’re playing you have a chance at the title. If he doesn’t make it there then it is what it is and we will all be disappointed after an epic year. Doesn’t mean I want him gone, even IU and UL gave their coaches several years. Personally I hope he has an epic year and brings home a championship and rams that up the Cal lovers and medias a$$es but I’m also realistic that asking for that is insanely unrealistic expectation even for a coach in his own system for years.

Name one example where a coach lost the entire roster, not most mind you ALL , and all but one of his recruiting class AFTER NCAA tournament and had a great year the next season,I'll wait.
How about not having anyone on your staff except you as well. Can't put too high expectations on this year. Would be unreasonable.

Reactions: cathouse
That’s different tho. Didn’t he have guys who played together and knew the system? Trying to mesh 10 new players isn’t just a guarantee no matter the experience
A decent coach will have no problem getting players to mesh into a well run system. I think UK fans do not see this as it has been so long since we had a real coach. At BYU the players come and go (on missions) even as they stay on the team, so Pope is used to blending players together all the time.

Another ignorant thread. We just got rid of a mfer that hadn’t proved himself over the last decade. It’s his first year here. He need not prove anything. He’s rebuilding a hijacked program. Why don’t we let him build a team, and play a game before we start with this silliness.
This and this nice post

With the transfer portal, keeping guys around for four years is still going to be a chore. You recruit what you might think is a four-year player like Noah or Perry, then they sit for a year or two, and then they are offered a couple hundred grand in NIL plus a probable starting spot somewhere else. You can’t let that happen…you’ve got to find a way to keep them around till they are upperclassmen. You are still going to recruit HS studs and plug and play guys in the portal, but you’ve got to find a way to keep lesser talent around somehow and mix them all in . Reep the benefits of having ‘veterans ‘.

Reactions: redbird51
It’s great that we now have a coach who does have something to prove and is incredibly motivated to prove himself.

That’s the type of coach that has the most success here, taking full advantage of the power and resources of Kentucky basketball to reach heights they’d never realize anywhere else.

Not a washed up, close-minded, has-been who was more concerned about getting his goofy son onto the coaching staff, placating agents, and talking down to the fanbase than putting in the work needed.

That’s different tho. Didn’t he have guys who played together and knew the system? Trying to mesh 10 new players isn’t just a guarantee no matter the experience
What meshing did the former coach do. The ones that are going to the NBA would have gone inspite of who coached them. What exactally did Cal do for Reed that makes him a Top 10 pick? The answer is nothing. Just how many top 10 players that are NBA bound didnt start in college. Just put that in your head and remember Mr. Number One recruiting class won one(1) title in 15 years. You need to wrap your head around that to see the recruits are coached. All those Draft picks were 1-15 . Thats Cal. Mr.1-15

It’s great that we now have a coach who does have something to prove and is incredibly motivated to prove himself.

That’s the type of coach that has the most success here, taking full advantage of the power and resources of Kentucky basketball to reach heights they’d never realize anywhere else.

Not a washed up, close-minded, has-been who was more concerned about getting his goofy son onto the coaching staff, placating agents, and talking down to the fanbase than putting in the work needed.
Not to mention that stupid dribble drive offense God I pray we never see that again

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
I don't see anybody determined to sink Pope. I see people who realize the hire was risky and are asking questions. I do see tons of fanboys jumping down the necks of people. And building up strawmen if they dare question Pope. Becuase he played here 30 years ago and makes them feel nostalgic. The OP is right. Pope is gonna have to prove that he can win big games, and can coach in the post-season. He's gonna have to prove he can relate and recruit big name players. I know that's gonna get people riled up, because you just hate Pope. But it's the truth. The facts are he's never won a NCAAT game, and has never got a player to the NBA (important for recruits). And I'm not going to lower my expectations of sweet 16 or better year one because he played here 30 years ago and won a title. The dude has 6 million dollars in NIL and a top shelf staff. He understands the assignment. So let's see if he passes.

Also, Hurley was coming into a program that was fresh off probation. Pope is coming into a program that had hit a skid in post-season success. But was still highly ranked and winning 20+ games every year. And top 3 to 4 in their conference evert year. With no NCAA violations.
Pope faces the same expectations and job responsibilities that every coach before him has faced. I like that our administration had the courage to make this choice. Donovan was a much risky hire and Hurley is an asshole that I’m glad is not associated with our program.
Without playing a game, Pope has shown that he’s a tireless worker and has a modern basketball mind. He’s put together one of the best staffs in college basketball and a roster that will be a team better than its individual players.

How about not having anyone on your staff except you as well. Can't put too high expectations on this year. Would be unreasonable.
He proved himself to me when the 96 team won it all. That should put to bed any doubters.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Guys, I am in no way being negative about Mark Pope. I love his passion and desire to win. He knows what the expectations are at UK. I love that he's the Anti-Calipari in almost every way. But, he's got a very tough job. Rebuilding the entire roster, putting together his staff and program infrastructure are time consuming. Plus, he has to move his family.
And the bottom line is he hasn't won a NCAA-T game yet. He hasn't recruited at the level he will need to at UK. Not talking about all McD's AA's but, he will have to have some top tier talent.
We are looking at a loaded OOC schedule and stacked SEC this coming season. I just want him to get us into the tournament and then see what happens.

I hope so. BYU was a 6 seed and lost to 11 seed Duquesne in the first round. Popes coaching will be under scrutiny for sure.
This is what I don’t understand people talking about how great of a coach he is. Surely BYU had better talent than Duquesne, their seed was much better.

Not just to many in the fanbase but, to recruits and transfers as well.
TBH, Pope is playing catch up and trying to fill a roster with the best players available. But, we do need 1-2 break you down scorers.
This situation kinda feels like Pitino's UK team before he signed Mashburn. We had some good role players and all would become excellent shooters. But, it took signing Mashburn to really start things rolling.
And it may not happen for him this year. The 24-25 season may end up being a 'steady the ship' sort of year that allows Pope to focus on implementing his system and getting the staff comfortable working together. That means we may not be playing next March. And I would be OK with that for one year. I mean we missed the tournament Twice under the previous coach!
I remain fully supportive and cautiously optimistic.
Why did you waste your time with producing your post? I stopped reading it after the first sentence. I couldn't get past "having to prove himself." When was the last time Cal proved anything other than he can't coach worth a damn, yet it didn't prevent him from signing top recruits. Please don't waste time telling me about the number of players in the NBA who he coached. Those players would have made it to the NBA without ever going to college. BYU was a projected top 15 team for 2024 without Kentucky resources and less restrictions. So, I think he will do just fine.

Last edited:
With bis pedigree and his results the last few years, I'd be very surprised if his coaching was lacking. I think he will be fine there.

The hard part will be handling the NIL era and recruiting. If he can do those things (and if the school/boosters/fans support the NIL side), then we will be in great shape.

We will make the dance. People really are underestimating our roster and we aren't done adding yet.
That's okay, I guess they will simply have to earn and show it.
I can't blame anyone who has the you got to show me attuite. Cal track record left us scratching our heads or in my case banging it on the door.

So you're hinting the last 7 years of the snake oil salesman brand of ball was good in this post Pope will bring back normalcy to Kentucky
Where did you get 7 years? It keeps getting longer. Our end of the year result sucked 2021,2022,2023,and 2024. That is not 5,6,or 7 years. I get it. Cal needed to go, but quit trying to make history by saying it. If it gets said 4 times on this board it becomes fact.

Another ignorant thread. We just got rid of a mfer that hadn’t proved himself over the last decade. It’s his first year here. He need not prove anything. He’s rebuilding a hijacked program. Why don’t we let him build a team, and play a game before we start with this silliness.
Where do you get this last decade bs? 9 years ago we were 38-1

When it is all said and done, who is willing to bet $100 that Pope retires with more wins than Cal, either at Kentucky or overall?

Only after a few weeks what Pope has done is amazing I am glad to see the head of the minor league team for the NBA Cal gone he never cared for UK he all about money and getting players to the NBA never about championships at UK plus you might say he took most players that committed to UK to Ark with him, I am so glad he is gone and Pope is here just like Cal snubbed Noah and Pope got him.

Then why was it acceptable when the last coach didn't make the NCAA???

Twice.

It wasn't. That's part of the reason he isn't here anymore.

Missing the NCAAT at Kentucky is never acceptable given the amount of resources available and the million other built-in advantages.

Reactions: RunninRichie
When it is all said and done, who is willing to bet $100 that Pope retires with more wins than Cal, either at Kentucky or overall?

You could probably convince a reputable bookmaker to give you somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-1 odds on that.

I've been impressed with his staff hiring and early recruiting sucesses as well. But he still needs to finish out the big pieces. If he gets Chaz over UT I will be feeling a lot better. I'm perfectly fine with a ''bridge year''. Where we aren't a title favorite. And I have said I think year 2 or 3 is where you will see what Pope can do at UK. But a bridge year to me is a sweet 16 and 25 wins. Not a 1st or 2nd round loss as an 8-9 seed. I simply can't take another year of being pseudo-competitive and losing in the 1st or 2nd round. The fanbase is STARVED for success. We've seen UNC and Duke go to final fours and title games. Kansas win a title and UCONN win 2 titles back to back. Even UCLA got a final four. While we sit at home each year losing in the 1st or 2nd rounds. Or hell some years just outright missing the tourney. Even our SEC rivals are making deep runs now.
He may not land any big boys this year. If he doesn't, I still think, in a rebuilding year, we will win 20+ games. That's a satisfactory result given the circumstances and the mess Cal left him. Next year is what will really matter.

I have no expectations for this upcoming year short of these:

I will start watching games live again and will enjoy watching a coach… COACH.

I will enjoy listening to CMP talk and use real words and sentences to communicate his thoughts.

The team will be competitive.

I will enjoy watching a team play basketball and not dribble around the 3 pt line and then throw up the worst shot imaginable.

I don’t have to listen to Cal talk at all.

I won’t hear non-sensical BS being spewed forth from the coaches mouth.

I actually expect to enjoy the season, even if we lose 10 games, and win one game in the sec and ncaa tournament a piece.

Can I throw in another about not having to listen to Cal?

Would it be cool if Pope makes a run? Obviously. There are so many other aspects to look forward to, hanging any banner this year would Just be icing.

It wasn't. That's part of the reason he isn't here anymore.

Missing the NCAAT at Kentucky is never acceptable given the amount of resources available and the million other built-in advantages.
It was acceptable to the "wait until next year" crowd of Cal followers.

It didn't matter how bad the team played. To them, it was OK because Cal.....

That response was directed to the posters who have defended Cal's complete failure in coaching UK for the past 5 years, who now say CMP HAS TO blah, blah, blah, THIS YEAR, or blah, blah, blah......

They NEVER said that about Cal. Just wait til next year. Cal will get HIS players next year. Refs cheated. Players didn't play good enough.....

We need to give Mark Pope the same leash to rebuild the program that Cal had for 15 years.

I will enjoy listening to CMP talk and use real words and sentences to communicate his thoughts.

I will enjoy watching a team play basketball and not dribble around the 3 pt line and then throw up the worst shot imaginable.

I actually expect to enjoy the season, even if we lose 10 games, and win one game in the sec and ncaa tournament a piece.

Would it be cool if Pope makes a run? Obviously. There are so many other aspects to look forward to, hanging any banner this year would Just be icing.
Bravo.
Spoken like a true UK fan!!

Reactions: know1
If Coach Pope can make the right in-game adjustments, and not lose by a lot of points......He will do fine.

Calipari rarely made adjustments and let the game flow to the opponents advantage many times.

People really fooling themselves if they believe it can’t get a whole lot worse. Even if he ends up working out, the next year or two could be rough.

People really fooling themselves if they believe it can’t get a whole lot worse. Even if he ends up working out, the next year or two could be rough.
This year was going to be rough even if Cal stayed.

Cal no longer wanted to be here and his personal vendetta with MB, media, big dollar boosters, the fans, Mark Stoops and everyone else that wasn't in his little inner circle, would not allow him to focus on winning games.

I actually think he purposely tanked the last 2 games in an effort to get fired, draw his $33M buyout from UK, and slither off to Arkansas like the snake he is to pilfer even more money from their big dollar boosters.

No expectations? Wow, how times have changed! Pope is the 6th highest paid coach in the country. I expect us to win at least 20 games and 1 or 2 tournament games. I don’t feel like that’s too much to ask for $5.5million.

Reactions: wardlow
No expectations? Wow, how times have changed! Pope is the 6th highest paid coach in the country. I expect us to win at least 20 games and 1 or 2 tournament games. I don’t feel like that’s too much to ask for $5.5million.
I know I said no expectations and then supplied a short list. All of which I thought were reasonable. I think you and I are aligned if you read expectation 7 on my list.

I expect an improvement over the last few years. Pope is shooting for banners and I’m only expecting competitive basketball from a team and staff that is engaged and passionate. It’s been harder to enjoy lately, but I expect that to change. So far so good.

Every time Pope gets in front of the media he is winning more fans over. He does not back down.

He thinks as of now the 10 guys he has is really special and is ready to roll with them but he is not finished and said he expects to add to the roster in a week or so. Pope is ready to get to coaching this team and his guys.

Thing is if Pope wins at a high level, and I think he will year 1, he will have done it 100% on his own. No previous coaches leftovers.

Reactions: cathouse
Every time Pope gets in front of the media he is winning more fans over. He does not back down.

He thinks as of now the 10 guys he has is really special and is ready to roll with them but he is not finished and said he expects to add to the roster in a week or so. Pope is ready to get to coaching this team and his guys.

Thing is if Pope wins at a high level, and I think he will year 1, he will have done it 100% on his own. No previous coaches leftovers.
That will be amazing to watch. I honestly believe this team is gonna be an absolute pleasure to watch and for once I am going to enjoy the process.

That was all a gimmick. He really didn’t run a dribble drive much at UK.
He tried. Just not a lot of Derrick Rose level point guards coming out of high school.

DD should have been called Dribble Derrick. It was truly a one trick pony gimmick offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT