ADVERTISEMENT

Players First

DreadLox

Junior
Mar 30, 2022
That's the wedge between the fans and Calipari.

First, it's a good idea in some areas. Player health, for one. Let those injuries completely heal. And player privacy. If there are non-criminal problems, keep them in-house. And the old model where coaches, the school, and the businesses which fed off the program made money while the players made spit, that was just wrong. And the transfer portal has cleared up the bond that chained a player to one program

But, the idea that the program should be geared to simply foster the possible professional careers of some of the players is a bad one.

For one thing, the number of players going on to professional careers from colleges won't change regardless of the number of kids that this program might produce. A Players First program doesn't grow the number of professional players. The number produced here then becomes a trophy and a vanity. Plus, it has to create a two tiered roster. Those with their eyes elsewhere and those who are reduced to support roles.

I have to confess that I would prefer that colleges and universities get out of the athletic entertainment business. There are other models to nurture young athletes who want to make money off their sport later in life. And the cult of fandom has created a climate which has enabled financial interests to exploit the sentiment surrounding college athletics. The cry for ever bigger and more elaborate facilities is testament to that.

Second, but just as important, the program doesn't exist simply to produce players. It also exists to please its patrons -- the fans. The fans put up -- in some cases enormous, but in any case substantial -- amounts of money, time, and their own cares into the enjoyment and nurturing of the program. To subordinate that to the other end -- promoting professional development of the players -- is to alienate them, the financial source which makes machine move. If their enjoyment is always the step-child, the support will disappear.

How UK and Calipari might change that focus is open-ended. The recruitment, the training, and the promotion of athletes are all areas I have no particular skill or interest in. No advice to give. No picture of what a different approach would need to do to appease the fans who want the approach gone. But wiser heads need to prevail.

Reactions: catben
52ztaUN.jpeg

That's the wedge between the fans and Calipari.

First, it's a good idea in some areas. Player health, for one. Let those injuries completely heal. And player privacy. If there are non-criminal problems, keep them in-house. And the old model where coaches, the school, and the businesses which fed off the program made money while the players made spit, that was just wrong. And the transfer portal has cleared up the bond that chained a player to one program

But, the idea that the program should be geared to simply foster the possible professional careers of some of the players is a bad one.

For one thing, the number of players going on to professional careers from colleges won't change regardless of the number of kids that this program might produce. A Players First program doesn't grow the number of professional players. The number produced here then becomes a trophy and a vanity. Plus, it has to create a two tiered roster. Those with their eyes elsewhere and those who are reduced to support roles.

I have to confess that I would prefer that colleges and universities get out of the athletic entertainment business. There are other models to nurture young athletes who want to make money off their sport later in life. And the cult of fandom has created a climate which has enabled financial interests to exploit the sentiment surrounding college athletics. The cry for ever bigger and more elaborate facilities is testament to that.

Second, but just as important, the program doesn't exist simply to produce players. It also exists to please its patrons -- the fans. The fans put up -- in some cases enormous, but in any case substantial -- amounts of money, time, and their own cares into the enjoyment and nurturing of the program. To subordinate that to the other end -- promoting professional development of the players -- is to alienate them, the financial source which makes machine move. If their enjoyment is always the step-child, the support will disappear.

How UK and Calipari might change that focus is open-ended. The recruitment, the training, and the promotion of athletes are all areas I have no particular skill or interest in. No advice to give. No picture of what a different approach would need to do to appease the fans who want the approach gone. But wiser heads need to prevail.
I have said that all along, the players Cal is putting into the NBA would have gotten there with or without Cal. Lets see him develop some 3 and 4 stars for the NBA. This he cannot do because he can't truly develop talent.

I have said that all along, the players Cal is putting into the NBA would have gotten there with or without Cal. Lets see him develop some 3 and 4 stars for the NBA. This he cannot do because he can't truly develop talent.
That wasn't what I meant. A Players First program doesn't have an effect on the number of players who go on to the pro ranks.

It was an interesting marketing and recruiting slogan in the early days, but it became an animal that even Cal couldn’t control anymore. He could’ve tried to gear it down some years back, but he dug his heels in on it. There is no going back from it for Cal and UK, best to figure something out and go separate ways.

I knew this was a dangerous and flammable comment when he said it many years ago (14+). It just took time for it to really start burning.

Now that the players are getting paid and sitting out when they want to, we see what this players first stuff has done. They have as much leverage as Cal does, depending on who it is, maybe more. The biggest thing people can't get over is having high school all Americans and getting beat in the first or second round of the NCAA tournament. This doesn't keep happening to coaches that are in the hall of fame at blue blood programs. This has never been tolerated here before, why is it now? Look at 5 out of the last six years, one SEC championship and 5 early exits from the NCAA tournament. this is not acceptable at the university of Kentucky.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi

First paragraph... he doesn't hide it...

"A “players-first” coach with a penchant for helping people reach their dreams, John Calipari, a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer, has guided six teams to the Final Four, led one to a national championship and helped 58 players earn selection in the NBA Draft during his 31-year college coaching career."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT