ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino's 14-14 probation team never lost a conference home game.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
They had a roster filled with walk-ons and leftovers. They were in their first year of probation and still managed to go 8-0 in their conference at Rupp Arena.

They had ZERO NBA draft picks.

The current team has already dropped THREE home games, and we have at least 5 draft picks, and possibly as many as eight.

Think about that. Calipari has zero pride.

He's finished here. This is NOT Kentucky basketball.

I get it but we were playing chess then while everyone else was playing checkers. Plus the SEC was not as good then as it is now.

The look of a man who put winning ahead of everything, because he tied his identity to winning:

635866025670720950-AP-96022802474.jpg

I get it but we were playing chess then while everyone else was playing checkers. Plus the SEC was not as good then as it is now.
The mere fact that a team without any pro players could go 8-0 in the SEC speaks dividends about the coaching at that time.

The SEC wasn't that good, but neither was Kentucky. We were completely stripped naked and left for dead on the side of the road. Why in the world would you try to diminish that?

The mere fact that a team without any pro players could go 8-0 in the SEC speaks dividends about the coaching at that time.

The SEC wasn't that good, but neither was Kentucky. We were completely stripped naked and left for dead on the side of the road. Why in the world would you try to diminish that?
Definitely not diminishing. Our style and fitness wore opponents down. That team was my favorite UK team of all time. I just don't know if that can work anymore. But one thing will work and that's a coach who actually coaches and values our tradition and doesn't belittle and crap on that tradition.

Definitely not diminishing. Our style and fitness wore opponents down. That team was my favorite UK team of all time. I just don't know if that can work anymore. But one thing will work and that's a coach who actually coaches and values our tradition and doesn't belittle and crap on that tradition.
The point was that from a talent level, UK should not have lost three games this season. From a talent level, UK should not have gone 8-0 in conference home games in 1990.

The difference in both seasons comes down to coaching.

We've had tons of debate about Pitino here as a person and a coach but here's my two cents for today:

Pitino's team went against the #1 team in the country this afternoon. His team is a misfit batch of toys he had to get from the portal. And his team was totally outmatched by a superior opponent. But Pitino threw everything that he had at Hurley and the Huskies, employing different defensive schemes and his players played as hard as they could. That was enough for a 1 point halftime lead but they ran out of gas at the end (as they did earlier in the season on the road and same with his Iona team that had a lead on UConn at the half of last year's NCAA's).

Bottom line is that's the difference between a coach that does what they can to enhance the strengths of their personnel and makes IN GAME adjustments to try to stifle a better opponent. Sometimes even that isn't enough but damnit, I appreciate the effort to try. Compare that to what we've had to witness here for some time and I think it's beyond time for a change.

We've had tons of debate about Pitino here as a person and a coach but here's my two cents for today:

Pitino's team went against the #1 team in the country today. His team is a misfit batch of toys he had to get from the portal. And his team was totally outmatched by a superior opponent. But Pitino threw everything that he had at Hurley and the Huskies today, employing different defensive schemes and his players played as hard as they could. That was enough for a 1 point halftime lead but they ran out of gas at the end (as they did earlier in the season on the road and same with his Iona team that had a lead on UConn at the half of last year's NCAA's).

Bottom line is that's the difference between a coach that does what they can to enhance the strengths of their personnel and makes IN GAME adjustments to try to stifle a better opponent. Sometimes even that isn't enough but damnit, I appreciate the effort to try. Compare that to what we've had to witness here for some time and I think it's beyond time for a change.
Like or dislike RP, there is no denying his coaching greatness. Had he not left UK, he would have been talked about in the likes of K.

I said they were walk-ons and leftovers, which they were. Some were scholarship players. Some were former walk-ons. All of them were leftovers.

But it's cool that you wanted to inflate that collection of misfits in order to make them something they weren't.
Who were the walk ons that played for that team?

Junior Braddy
Tony Cooper
Michael Parks
And those walk ons played a total of 152 minutes the entire year, with Junior playing over 100 of them. I understand your point that Pitino is a great coach, but just don't lie and say that team didn't lose even though they were playing walk ons. The walk ons didn't play. And, the "leftovers" as you called them were good, but young and went to an Elite Eight and barely missed the Final Four. Our players didn't suck, we just didn't have a big guy. I was fortunate enough to go to most games that year. My son was at UK at the time and students got lower level midcourt seats then, and he was able to give me good seats if I bought a cheap ticket from a scalper.

Pitino is/was a great Coach. There is a difference. (But But But HoF, NbA PiCkS, FiNaL FouRs,etc.)
Cal literally does the least with the best. I would love to see what he could do with a team full of farm boys and non-top 100 players. OH MY.

Reactions: RunninRichie
They had a roster filled with walk-ons and leftovers. They were in their first year of probation and still managed to go 8-0 in their conference at Rupp Arena.

They had ZERO NBA draft picks.

The current team has already dropped THREE home games, and we have at least 5 draft picks, and possibly as many as eight.

Think about that. Calipari has zero pride.

He's finished here. This is NOT Kentucky basketball.
Hustle beats talent when talent doesn’t hustle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT