ADVERTISEMENT

Pick One Last Rotation Piece

Apr 9, 2020
If you could choose only one rotation piece to round out the team, which would it be? Rough minute distribution below as well.

Jaylen Wells
JT Toppin
Achor Achor
Wooga Poplar
Jaxson Robinson
Chaz Lanier

PlayerHtWtClassPosMPGPGSGSFPFC
LAST PLAYEREMPTYEMPTYEMPTYEMPTY
Lamont Butler6'2"
205​
SeniorPG
28​
28​
Otega Oweh6'5"
215​
JuniorSG
28​
28​
Andrew Carr6'10"
230​
SeniorPF
28​
28​
Koby Brea6'6"
205​
SeniorSF
24​
24​
Kerr Kriisa6'3"
185​
SeniorPG
24​
12​
12​
Amari Williams6'10"
265​
SeniorC
24​
24​
Brandon Garrison6'11"
245​
SophC
16​
16​
Collin Chandler6'4"
185​
FreshmanSG
0​
Travis Perry6'2"
180​
FreshmanPG
0​
Achor Achor6'9"
227​
SeniorPF
0​
JT Toppin6'9"
210​
SophomorePF
0​
Chaz Lanier6'4"
200​
SeniorSG
0​
Jaxson Robinson6'7"
195​
SeniorSF
0​
Wooga Poplar6'5"
200​
SeniorSG
0​
Jaylen Wells6'8"
205​
SeniorSF
0​

circle chasing GIF

• Haha
Reactions: NothinButNylon
I would take either Chaz or Achor in either order. Put a gun to my head and I would probably say Chaz because he's got that huge volume, nasty high percentage perimeter shot and he's not so limited to the right wing with it. Because I'm a gunslinger at heart. Legitimately learned Latin at UK so I could be like John Henry Holliday. But we sure would miss those Achor rebounds.

None of those guys really excites me. We need help at SF where we don’t have anybody besides Oweh who should used as Guard . Also we need a bruiser , that can rebound and shoot a little at PF to compliment and keep Carr honest for playing time.

Ideally you would get a SF from NBa declares guys or overseas and Great Osobor at PF.

Reactions: ala_kat2
None of those guys really excites me. We need help at SF where we don’t have anybody besides Oweh who should used as Guard . Also we need a bruiser , that can rebound and shoot a little at PF to compliment and keep Carr honest for playing time.

Ideally you would get a SF from NBa declares guys or overseas and Great Osobor at PF.
I agree that what we need is another 6’7” or taller player who can REBOUND, play some defense and provide inside scoring. We have plenty of shooters/makers from outside.

If you could choose only one rotation piece to round out the team, which would it be? Rough minute distribution below as well.

Jaylen Wells
JT Toppin
Achor Achor
Wooga Poplar
Jaxson Robinson
Chaz Lanier

PlayerHtWtClassPosMPGPGSGSFPFC
LAST PLAYEREMPTYEMPTYEMPTYEMPTY
Lamont Butler6'2"
205​
SeniorPG
28​
28​
Otega Oweh6'5"
215​
JuniorSG
28​
28​
Andrew Carr6'10"
230​
SeniorPF
28​
28​
Koby Brea6'6"
205​
SeniorSF
24​
24​
Kerr Kriisa6'3"
185​
SeniorPG
24​
12​
12​
Amari Williams6'10"
265​
SeniorC
24​
24​
Brandon Garrison6'11"
245​
SophC
16​
16​
Collin Chandler6'4"
185​
FreshmanSG
0​
Travis Perry6'2"
180​
FreshmanPG
0​
Achor Achor6'9"
227​
SeniorPF
0​
JT Toppin6'9"
210​
SophomorePF
0​
Chaz Lanier6'4"
200​
SeniorSG
0​
Jaxson Robinson6'7"
195​
SeniorSF
0​
Wooga Poplar6'5"
200​
SeniorSG
0​
Jaylen Wells6'8"
205​
SeniorSF
0​
I really like this grid and I think you've made great guesses at minute distribution.

I'd argue the last piece is Jaxon Robinson...and I'll play his some mintues at PF in a small ball line up and rest at his traditional SF role...and that is your roster for uK IMO.

Reactions: UK67KU59
We can go 2 deep at every position but the 3.... we kind of have to go small ball if we don't get another tall 3.

Im assuming Kerr backs up the 1 and 2 and that's where his minutes come from. 4 and 5 is getting backed up by Garrison I'd assume.

Robinson and Brea both playing gets you pretty big unless Robinson plays the 4.

Could be the holdup is people aren't seeing the minutes with what's already committed. Might have to get a couple younger guys who want to compete for a spot next year.

Reactions: UK67KU59
1. Robinson
2. Lanier

Like others have mentioned, I think we need two guys. The way other teams are loading up, we need all the talent we can get. Scheme is great, but scheme with the right talent is a deadly combination.

I think adding Robinson and maybe Lohner to round out the squad makes sense.

We need one more guy that can lead the way as a scorer. Robinson proved he can score in the best conference in the land (Big 12) last season.

Lohner is an experienced role player who has played for both Pope and Brooks. He averaged over 10mpg at Baylor the last two seasons scoring almost 3ppg. I know we want 1-12 to be double digit scorers, but that’s not realistic. Lohner would give us a a guy that comes in for 10-12 minutes every game and doesn’t hurt us and wouldn’t worry about whether he scores or gets touches. He’s a fifth year Senior with P5 experience.

Achor would be great but convincing him to come in and split time at the 4 with Carr would be a hard sell for both of those guys. Carr is a 30 minute a game guy. Achor should be as well. The minutes don’t work out.

But if Pope can make it work, then I would love to have Achor.

I am not exactly demanding a double digit scorer for the back up 4 but I'd like to see something...be he a developmental piece, a cast off tweener, a strong practice piece, a reclass, anything but a place holder with no upside and cannot be relied on in the present.

An injury or just foul trouble is too much of anchor for my tastes. The guards can handle all kinds of competition so I don't buy into being paper thin upfront where most of the fouls happen.

Best realistic option as a backup PF is probably Buyuktuncel (UCLA), if he is willing to be a reserve for a season with the hope of starting as a Junior.

With Robinson and Buyuktuncel, we have a pretty solid squad (estimated minutes +/- 2-3 minutes):

G Butler(25)/Kriisa(15)
G Brea(25)/Kriisa(10)/Oweh(5)
G Robinson(25)/Oweh(15)
F Carr(25)/Buyuktuncel(15)
F Williams(25)/Garrison(15)

Robinson and Carr would be a good 1-2 scoring combo. Brea and Kriisa are deadly shooters. Butler and Williams are lockdown defenders. Oweh is good on both ends. Buyuktuncel and Garrison provide excellent depth. Pope brings the Freshmen along slowly, playing them only spot minutes in blowouts.

I am not exactly demanding a double digit scorer for the back up 4 but I'd like to see something...be he a developmental piece, a cast off tweener, a strong practice piece, a reclass, anything but a place holder with no upside and cannot be relied on in the present.

An injury or just foul trouble is too much of anchor for my tastes. The guards can handle all kinds of competition so I don't buy into being paper thin upfront where most of the fouls happen.
Agreed.

But finding a guy that is willing to play behind Carr, a 13 point, 7 rebound, 30+ minute per game performer (in a P5 conference) in the portal is going to be tough.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT