ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective from a disappointed Stoops fan...

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
I am not happy with this season. If we lose Saturday...I'm hurt. And it's a big time for Stoops to step up and show our fans and team if he's the guy...the defense hasn't developed...the offense has been SLOPPY. The maturity is lacking. It's a team that's discipline issues have turned a 9 win season into a possible 6 win season.

I do think there's pressure on Stoops. But again...what's the point of becoming the all-time leader in wins and having those 10-3 seasons if they don't build up equity? He earned his contract for what he did 2013-2021. He's earned a chance to get it right. I'm not saying he's earned several 6-7 win years in a row where we continue to get exposed by great teams...but he's earned the right to get it right. 2024 seems like the year is all comes down to...

And then also...are we trending down...or is this par for the course? At Kentucky we build and we can't really just assume things will be consistently great every year. But I am not happy and I am not wanting to accept this lost season. I think mass staff changes need to happen. I think Stoops needs to look at the program and see where we are at....

But it does make me wonder....what is the history of Stoops? Are we regressing...or has it always been like this?

-2015...Shannon Dawson failed and he moved on to Eddie Gran. Made changes and went on the 2016-2019 run.

-2020...he moved on from Eddie Gran to Liam Coen because the passing attack and QB/WR recruiting failed us. We got Levin/Wan'dale and it turned around.

2016: 7-6
2017: 7-6
2018: 10-3
2019: 8-5
2020: 5-6
2021: 10-3
2022: 7-6
2023: 6-5
2024: ???

Generally speaking...we have 2 average type years before our big 10 win seasons.

Our 10 win seasons?
-2018: we had Josh Allen, Jordan Jones, and 4 secondary starters who were NFL talents. All 4-5 year guys. They developed over time. Gained experience. Came back.

-2021: Levis/Wan'dale were the story...but Kinnard/Fortner/Rosenthal were 3 NFL talents leading our best line ever. C-Rod was a 4th year player closing in on our all-time rushing yards title. Josh Ali was a 5th year player who was a NFL talent. Josh Pascal around for his 5th year. McCall, Fitzgerald, Jordan Wright, Square, Robinson, Dort, Aijan, and Corker were all 4th-5th year guys...plus Jaquez Jones. A very experienced group.

Is it fair to at least say that our 2017 & 2020 seasons that preceded our 10 win seasons were disappointing seasons? I remember looking bad at times those years. I remember undisciplined play and cocky attitudes. I remember blowout losses those seasons. But what I also can see is that Stoops made changes. I also see that young teams turned into experienced teams the next year. Kentucky has to build.....

The question for me now becomes...is this a building year or is it a year like 2010 with Joker? That year started fun with the SC win and playing Auburn close...but down the stretch it was defined by disappointing losses....then it turned into the 2011 season that was terrible.

I'll end with 2021-2022 Missouri. Missouri had HUGE expectations going into 2021 after their COVID year success...he went 6-7 in back to back years. Their fans were mad and talking about how he's brought in some of their best talent in those years. They were angry at the defense and ineffective QB play. Going into this season....Drink's seat was HOT. They started fine...but the LSU loss turned them back off....a fake punt against Kentucky changed their tenure. They won.

But you know why Mizzou is great this year? 10 of their 11 defensive starters are 4-6 year players...8 are classified as Seniors. 6 of their 2nd string defenders are upperclassmen. 8 of their offensive starters are 4-6 year players...they learned from the disappointment of 2021-2022. Which....that seems to be why our 2018 and 2021 teams were successful as well.

Why Saturday is huge? If you want to believe this is a building year....then you win Saturday and have momentum for a bowl and next season. If you lose? Then I fear mass defections to the portal....the previous Stoops teams didn't have that threat of guys leaving. It's a tricky time. I'm not out on Stoops...but it's time to SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.

Be the Stoops that marched into Louisville and took Lamar Jackson's lunch money...be the Stoops that marched into the Swamp and ended the streak. Be the Stoops that ended Steve Spurrier's career. That's what he needs to do Saturday. He's done it before...he has to do it again...your backs are against the wall. You aren't cocky anymore this year...get back to work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News