ADVERTISEMENT

People who take fictional/fantasy movies and books too seriously

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Drive me crazy.

I've watched the first 3 Obi Wan series episodes and it's not life-changing but I think it's been entertaining. I mean, it's Star Wars, produced by Disney, so it is what it is. But, comments on the 'net are incredibly ridiculous. "It's not canon!", "this character never did...", etc. Like we're dealing with an actual true event and the series is lying to us.

Had some friends who were/are LOTR fanatics/purists but absolutely hated the LOTR movies because, during the battle of Helm's Deep, there were Elves involved in the movie who weren't in the book. And, horrors, The Hobbit movies included the White Orc (or whatever the baddie's character was) and he wasn't in the book!

Same with other friends and the Harry Potter movies.

Maybe I need new friends? But, damn, people, be happy being entertained and quit taking FICTIONAL material as 'canon' and just enjoy yourself.

Reactions: J_Dee
-meh different strokes and what not...everyone nerds out on something. For me it's guitar stuff, watches and quality attire/footwear. I tend to agree about entertainment...but they ain't hurting nobody.

^the ones that annoy me more are the fantasy sports nerds.. I mean they're giant nerds and they don't realize it...it's dungeons and dragons for jocksniffers.

-meh different strokes and what not...everyone nerds out on something. For me it's guitar stuff, watches and quality attire/footwear. I tend to agree about entertainment...but they ain't hurting nobody.

^the ones that annoy me more are the fantasy sports nerds.. I mean they're giant nerds and they don't realize it...it's dungeons and dragons for jocksniffers.
God, amen to that. I hate fantasy sports. Even worse, I hate hearing about it. Oh, please tell me all of the guys you have going for you on your five different leagues. What do you win for devoting 8 hours every Sunday? $100? Cool.

Drive me crazy.

I've watched the first 3 Obi Wan series episodes and it's not life-changing but I think it's been entertaining. I mean, it's Star Wars, produced by Disney, so it is what it is. But, comments on the 'net are incredibly ridiculous. "It's not canon!", "this character never did...", etc. Like we're dealing with an actual true event and the series is lying to us.

Had some friends who were/are LOTR fanatics/purists but absolutely hated the LOTR movies because, during the battle of Helm's Deep, there were Elves involved in the movie who weren't in the book. And, horrors, The Hobbit movies included the White Orc (or whatever the baddie's character was) and he wasn't in the book!

Same with other friends and the Harry Potter movies.

Maybe I need new friends? But, damn, people, be happy being entertained and quit taking FICTIONAL material as 'canon' and just enjoy yourself.
Star Wars is a different beast of this category. I don't like to read fiction (I'll watch it but don't like to read it) so I'm oblivious to any stuff in any of those books but yeah, I've heard it all. Harry Potter has some fans who are real critical to movies for not being 100% to the books. But nothing tops the level of a segment of Star Wars fans.

You think you're a fan and then you meet the fanatics and you just come away with accepting you're apparently a casual. Haha

Reactions: gamecockcat
Throw vidya games in there too. Have some kids at my work who literally talk about their appointments they have that night to meet buddies online to game. Granted, I may have done the same at that age had we had that technology, but still wild to me.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Star Wars is a different beast of this category. I don't like to read fiction (I'll watch it but don't like to read it) so I'm oblivious to any stuff in any of those books but yeah, I've heard it all. Harry Potter has some fans who are real critical to movies for not being 100% to the books. But nothing tops the level of a segment of Star Wars fans.

You think you're a fan and then you meet the fanatics and you just come away with accepting you're apparently a casual. Haha
It kills me more with comic books. When the first x-men movie came out there were people whining about they all weren’t exactly like they were in the books. Like sorry they didn’t encapsulate 60 years of character development into 2 hours

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT