ADVERTISEMENT

Ox (and a couple other updates)

BrandonJones

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2013
Central Kentucky
I asked @JRowland about the North Hardin trio last week and he mentioned Ox’s wait being somewhat of a concern. I have always thought this would be a thorn for Ox, but knew his relentless motor mixed with a SEC programs nutrition/conditioning program would offset those concerns.

I want to preface this next statement with the fact that I have always been somewhat biased to the NHHS trio. So any positive comments should probably be walked back a bit; while negative thoughts should be viewed as especially troublesome. With that said, I ran into Ox this past Thursday and he looks awfully small.

I saw him at the end of last season and chalked his size up to having a shorter off-season due to the injury rehab. I assume an DT would want to come into the season a little heavier considering the natural weight cutting that is endured during the season; especially in the SEC. So I was excited to see what he looked like a year removed from rehabbing from injury in hopes that he had put on much needed weight. I must say, I was extremely concerned. I honestly feel like he looks more slim than he did when I saw him back in mid December.

Full disclosure, I am not sure when the weight programs ramp up at this level. I jokingly made the comment that he looked like ‘skin and bones’, but I also really did think that in comparison to what imagined he would be at this stage before seeing him. He replied back telling me not to worry because he will be where he needs to be before the season starts. I believe him because again, he has a tenacity it takes to achieve any goals he makes. On the flip side though, you have to imagine that putting in that much work to gain the size required to be effective at that position has to affect him even once it achieved; focusing on that in the offseason is one thing, but maintaining it once the season starts has to be nearly impossible and weigh significantly on his mental.

Thankfully he is mentally tough and tenacious. So if anyone can do it, it is a guy like him. I hope he succeeds, but must say it is worrisome; or at least, something to follow as the seasons grows near.

Side Note: Lovett seems to be on a new level of confidence. He has never lacked that. He was always that ‘big kid’ type and always smiling while talking as much ish as one could ever talk. All the while, he loves to absolutely lay the lumber for anyone who wants to come across the middle. He is in the best shape I have seen and has put on a lot of muscle since the season ended.

Side Note 2: Lavell seems to be weirdly confident. He is more quiet than Jordan, but still has a bit of a swag about him. He too is bigger than he has ever been. He told me that he has been relentless in the weight room and loves having Liam back because the offensive language is so much easier to understand. I asked where he stood rotationally and he said he didn’t know right now but said their isn’t really a top dog; not because of lack of talent in the room but because the whole group is pushing each other so much that it is hard to tell which has the upper hand. He did say Davis would likely be RB1 in the end. Stated that Davis has ‘the whole package’ and will be tough to scheme for because of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News