ADVERTISEMENT

Our players are not failing; they are being failed.

ukfan1622

Junior
Jan 15, 2021
In the Gonzaga game Edwards played 29 minutes and Ugo played 19 minutes and Dillingham played only 18 minutes.

On the play when we needed 2 points to put the game into overtime or a 3 for the win Dillingham and Z were on the bench when we had 3 players on the court the Zags didn't have to worry about shooting because they knew Ugo was not going to shoot unless it was a lob and Thiero had been passing up shots all night and they wanted Edwards to shoot.

We have the players. They are not underperforming; they are being misused.

Last edited:
In the Gonzaga game Edwards played 29 minutes and Ugo played 19 minutes and Dillingham played only 18 minutes.

On the play when we needed 2 points to put the game into overtime or a 3 for the win Dillingham and Z were on the bench when we had 3 players on the court the Zags didn't have to worry about shooting because they knew Ugo was not going to shoot unless it was a lob and Thiero had been passing up shots all night and they wanted Edwards to shoot.

This has been going on for years now. Cal can't coach well enough for the talent to matter anymore.

The most irritating thing to me is that the same things happen in the same order every year for the last five, taking out COVID of course. The off season exodus and the uncertainty of rebuilding a team, the excuses that come with never having played together before, the emergence of players that were after thoughts, and the "real" recruits not living up to potential. Then of course the regression when those producing have their minutes taken and given to others to raise their NBA stock. In fighting and hard feelings. Team goes in the crapper. Happens the same way every year.

It's gotten so old.

That’s absolutely criminal that he played Edwards 29 minutes. Just laughable. I’m not even an Edwards hater but my god.

Hey Cal, we can’t hide you!
Kpe9EFe.png

Preach it brother , Preach it from the rooftops .

That was such a horrible coaching clinic at the end of the game.

My stepdad who barely watches sports, came over and they caught the last 2-3 minutes with me.

He asked me what was the point of number 3 if the other team can stay off of him when he's outside.

I told him about his toughness, athleticism, etc (I am a big Thiero fan)... but said he can't shoot well.

He asked why is he staying outside then.

I said we had Ugo in the paint and didn't want two people in there clogging it up on Shepperd.

He said seems like needing them both in there is a problem.

I told him that was a $9 million dollar answer.

PS - that was the first minute of a UK game he paid attention to all year.

A self-proclaimed sports idiot figured it out in a minute.

Cal coaches like the eunuch that he is...Beard will likely bitch slap him tomorrow night
right into the NIT...

doGcPrw.png
As much as I'm sick of Cal, and as much as I've appreciated your photoshop work over the years...I don't know if I can bring myself to like this one.

No matter what, I want UK to win. And certain faces like Beard and Oats and Musselman and Pearl...good grief...I just can't. I despise them.

Reactions: CatPhight
As much as I'm sick of Cal, and as much as I've appreciated your photoshop work over the years...I don't know if I can bring myself to like this one.

No matter what, I want UK to win. And certain faces like Beard and Oats and Musselman and Pearl...good grief...I just can't. I despise them.
Thanks to Slouch Cal, it's where we find ourselves...staring into the abyss of another lost season...

We lose to Old Piss tomorrow night, we're NIT bound yet again.

OhHF0Yl.png

100%

Reactions: Mdnerd
I've been saying this for years and have spent a lot of time getting irritated with the fans calling out the players and criticizing them. Their coach is the one that's supposed to be setting them up for success in college basketball. He only cares about setting them up for success in the NBA.

This is exactly right. I think if you really asked everyone, they love these players and realize it is the coaching. I despise the lack of coaching. When Cal says take it out on him versus the players it is to play on the narrative that UK fans are unreasonable.

So many times Cal puts kids in positions that unfortunately result in us as fans lashing out at the players in the game threads etc. Think Askew. It wasn’t Askews fault he was put in positions he couldn’t handle but Cal forces situations and tells fans not to question the obvious. But if I’m Askew I am going to go out every time coach asks.

If this team was the first to have these defensive struggles, then we could reasonably say Player A doesn’t get it but how long has it been since UK has been able to effectively defend the high ball screen and entry passes? The one constant given UKs roster turnover is the coach.

It does suck, because this is a pretty likeable group of players. They really don’t deserve any flak, many of them are being put in positions that don’t make sense. Cal refuses to play to a team’s strength, he will always try to force them into his antiquated mold. It worked at one point, but hasn’t for awhile now. The only one who can’t see it, is the one getting paid absurd amounts of money to do it.

We’re basically back to the same point we were last year, amazing.

During his post game show when he begged the fans to not bail on the kids I had one thought. Only a narcissist like Cal would think any boos are directed toward the players and not him.
Next time he comes out to sign...what after Vandy? He should be pelted with those small dimpled balls he refuses to sign. [laughing]

Our defense was non-existent. And Cal kept the bigger guys in because he felt that gave us the best chance on defense. But our defense gave them zero resistance all game long.

We should have played our best offensive lineup, and tried to outscore them. What were they going to do? Feed the ball into the paint and score on us every single possession? They already were.

But, Cal decided to try to keep fighting the good fight with the defense. He kept Rob, our most electric scorer, on the bench.

Our defense was non-existent. And Cal kept the bigger guys in because he felt that gave us the best chance on defense. But our defense gave them zero resistance all game long.

We should have played our best offensive lineup, and tried to outscore them. What were they going to do? Feed the ball into the paint and score on us every single possession? They already were.

But, Cal decided to try to keep fighting the good fight with the defense. He kept Rob, our most electric scorer, on the bench.
I don't disagree. Not trying to double the post when Ike and the other Zags bigs were scoring at will was another huge coaching failure. I didn't have the energy to list them all; I'm sure there were many more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT