ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Softball, anyone?

Been a rough year. I literally can't recall the last time we were in the last place game to start the tournament. I'll be watching and cheering though.
Really need a change at the top. Program has slipped drastically.

She hasn't adjusted well to the portal.
The Transfer Portal is the key to roster building and is here to stay.

Some of these traditionalists coaches continue to fight against it to their own demise.

Dabo Sweeney is a prime example of a coach refusing to utilize the Transfer Portal at the expense of Clemson's position at the top of the football hierarchy.

Reactions: BigKari
UK vs. Ole Miss at 7EST in the SEC Tournament on SEC Network 2nite.
If Kentucky doesn't make it to the Super Regional this year, in which unfortunately I don't think they will, then Mitch should really evaluate if he wants to keep Coach Lawson or not. That is if Mitch wants the softball team to make it back to the Women's College World Series or if he is ok with Kentucky just making the NCAA women's softball tournament.

She has done well enough to stay put. Not even close to a warm seat, especially on Barnhart’s scale.
That being said, just seems like an undisciplined program.

Reactions: cathouse
That’s UK’s problem. They don’t have the pitching strength to compete in the SEC the last couple years. That needs to be Lawson’s #1 focus!
Well, since she IS the pitching coach, the problem of a poor pitching staff falls right at her feet.

I can't understand why Kentucky can't recruit good pitchers when they are literally falling off the trees down south.

Many smaller conference teams are loaded with quality pitchers down here.

Kelsey Nunley in TN coaching high school softball and running pitching camps for girls. She needs to be pitching coach at UK.

I enjoy softball, have kids that play, etc. I like UKs coach. I think recruiting is unreliable in the sport. There are lock type recruits, but not like in men's sports. There are pleasant surprises. And their are more, on average, disappointments in performance than in collateral men's sports like baseball. Add to that it is a hard game. It is top heavy with talent (like all sports) and some of the "wash out" recruits really affect things. We went to the LSU game this year (cold and rainy) and our pitching was awful. That happens. Sometimes for a whole season if the players you relied on are just not up to it. Dare i say it, women's performance is affected by additional and different sets of factors than the traditional men's sports...such as biological issues, endurance, etc.

Kentucky just got bounced from the Stillwater(Oklahoma State)regional after only winning one game(and that was by one run) In my book Coach Rachel Lawson needs to be removed from the program after going 9 seasons without making it back to the Women's College Softball World Series and missing the last two super regionals. Since Kentucky's last College World Series thry are 1-8 in Super regional A new coach is needed to get Kentucky back to the Women's College Softball World series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT