ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SI accused of using AI Fake Authors

TankedCat

All-American
Nov 8, 2006
There was nothing in Drew Ortiz's author biography at Sports Illustrated to suggest that he was anything other than human.

"Drew has spent much of his life outdoors, and is excited to guide you through his never-ending list of the best products to keep you from falling to the perils of nature," it read. "Nowadays, there is rarely a weekend that goes by where Drew isn't out camping, hiking, or just back on his parents' farm."

The only problem? Outside of Sports Illustrated, Drew Ortiz doesn't seem to exist. He has no social media presence and no publishing history. And even more strangely, his profile photo on Sports Illustrated is for sale on a website that sells AI-generated headshots, where he's described as "neutral white young-adult male with short brown hair and blue eyes."
7cvrMbB.jpg

Ortiz isn't the only AI-generated author published by Sports Illustrated, according to a person involved with the creation of the content who asked to be kept anonymous to protect them from professional repercussions.

"There's a lot," they told us of the fake authors. "I was like, what are they? This is ridiculous. This person does not exist."

"At the bottom [of the page] there would be a photo of a person and some fake description of them like, 'oh, John lives in Houston, Texas. He loves yard games and hanging out with his dog, Sam.' Stuff like that," they continued. "It's just crazy."

The AI authors' writing often sounds like it was written by an alien; one Ortiz article, for instance, warns that volleyball "can be a little tricky to get into, especially without an actual ball to practice with."

According to a second person involved in the creation of the Sports Illustrated content who also asked to be kept anonymous, that's because it's not just the authors' headshots that are AI-generated. At least some of the articles themselves, they said, were churned out using AI as well.

"The content is absolutely AI-generated," the second source said, "no matter how much they say that it's not."

After we reached out with questions to the magazine's publisher, The Arena Group, all the AI-generated authors disappeared from Sports Illustrated's site without explanation.

Technological advancements change industries, It sucks for various forms of media, but maybe it's time for the mid-tier journalists to start working on a different craft. Because I much prefer AI to Goodman and Thamel.

Wait, they couldn't write that dreck on their own?

Last edited:
when you read about Deadspin falsely going after a Kansas City Chiefs fan who happens to be a child, they might want AI for additional reasons

what's really sad is they didn't even generate it on their own

If I get the gist of the what the article is implying

they paid a cut rate company, probably with a total staff of two people, who grabbed essentially public domain generated content to create it.

its bad enough to outsource real journalist but when you outsource AI journalist to the cheapest creator, that's what you run the risk of.

Reactions: chroix
My brother-in-law were talking just yesterday about how sharply SI articles had declined in quality. And how it was odd they were echoing rumors instead of reporting as they used to.

I’ve been noticing this for years, articles that refer to a quote by “Smith” or someone, only referred to by last name, as if they’ve been mentioned in the article earlier… Except that they hadn’t been. Classic AI fetching.

Just wait until people realize that the majority of pop stars in the last 4 years are AI - they sing a few times to teach the AI their voice model and it creates it all - the melody, the music, the lyrics, everything. No need for a team of producers or musicians or anything.

I mean it’s always been sorta that way, but it’s literally pared down to a one stop AI now.

Reactions: chroix
I mean, depending on what you're after, it could be much more valuable and concise analysis. There will always be a place for good opinion pieces by great journalists. There's a market for both. Just don't hide behind a fake persona.

Drew's ancestors must be from the Basque Region or he is adopted. Rather Nordic looking Hispanic.
I'll be the guy to ruin the joke, white and Hispanic aren't mutually exclusive. There are a lot of white Hispanics, particularly with European ancestry. A white person from Spain would be a white Hispanic, but they wouldn't be Latino. A native Mexican would be a non-white Hispanic and would be Latino.

On the census there's one question asking if you are Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino and another separate question on race.

I'll be the guy to ruin the joke, white and Hispanic aren't mutually exclusive. There are a lot of white Hispanics, particularly with European ancestry. A white person from Spain would be a white Hispanic, but they wouldn't be Latino. A native Mexican would be a non-white Hispanic and would be Latino.

On the census there's one question asking if you are Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino and another separate question on race.
I understand that. All nordics are white, not all whites are nordic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT