ADVERTISEMENT

OT-PGA Tour

I was going off of the very early information given this morning before I got to work. Obviously, new information has come to light. We'll see how it is handled from here on out through the appropriate legal channels and due process.
And I was posting after seeing the reports from the espn reporter who witnessed the entire thing. I was not making any assumptions.

Scottie pushes it right of the 1st fairway. Par 5 though with nothing in front of him so he's fine.

Which Is GIF - Which Is Nice GIFs

Sheffler had no prior knowledge there was a casualty involving a bus and person, he was trying to get into Valhalla golf course and did EXACTLY what the players / officials where instructed to do. He was in a clearly marked "Player courtesy vehicle" and flashed his credentials to get in (once again that was how he was instructed to gain access). The police officer instructed him to stop after he flashed his credentials. Sheffler drover very slowly past the officer (he said he did not know he was a police officer). The officer did not need to grab on to the vehicle as he could clearly see it was a PGA vehicle and was shown credentials to get in. To me it appears as if the officer tried to play hero cop by grabbing on to the vehicle, Sheffler did not run him over, he put himself in danger. Maybe the cop should have just followed the vehicle inside Valhalla and do a normal traffic stop, not try to stop it by jumping onto a very slowly moving vehicle. It was simply a miscommunication and then escalated from a minor traffic issue to "assault of a police officer' (lol) . Don't see how he assaulted him, he himself jumped onto the vehicle and was not ran over.

How about we wait to see how many commands scheffler ignored before we day the police did anything wrong?
Many of us have been where the traffic cop is being extremely confusing and we misunderstand what they want or they are indicating want us to do something dangerous or that we can’t do

He released a statement before he teed off in the second round.

"This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers. It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do," he said. "I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I’m hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today

"Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man who passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective."

Sheffler had no prior knowledge there was a casualty involving a bus and person, he was trying to get into Valhalla golf course and did EXACTLY what the players / officials where instructed to do. He was in a clearly marked "Player courtesy vehicle" and flashed his credentials to get in (once again that was how he was instructed to gain access). The police officer instructed him to stop after he flashed his credentials. Sheffler drover very slowly past the officer (he said he did not know he was a police officer). The officer did not need to grab on to the vehicle as he could clearly see it was a PGA vehicle and was shown credentials to get in. To me it appears as if the officer tried to play hero cop by grabbing on to the vehicle, Sheffler did not run him over, he put himself in danger. Maybe the cop should have just followed the vehicle inside Valhalla and do a normal traffic stop, not try to stop it by jumping onto a very slowly moving vehicle. It was simply a miscommunication and then escalated from a minor traffic issue to "assault of a police officer' (lol) . Don't see how he assaulted him, he himself jumped onto the vehicle and was not ran over.
Many Cops have developed this belief that they decide the laws and how they are applied. Then they love to play the victim when society disagrees.

There needs to be much higher standards and advanced training for law enforcement around the country.

Edit: evidently @flacat22 who clearly has all the correct intel as he has already established in this thread disagrees.

Last edited:
He released a statement before he teed off in the second round.

"This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers. It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do," he said. "I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I’m hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today

"Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man who passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective."
Yeah, the more that is coming out about what actually took place, it's pretty clear the officer escalated the situation way beyond what was warranted. My guess is, these charges will be dropped before the tournament is over.

The vehicle was traveling at a very low rate of speed, clearly marked, was shown player credentials, and he still decides to leap onto the moving vehicle and play cowboy cop. Sheffler had no clue there had been a fatality, he was simply trying to get into the golf course by doing exactly what / how the players was told to do. The cop should have followed the vehicle inside the course and did a normal traffic stop. The vehicle was clearly marked, he was flashed credentials, at no point and time did he feel he or the publics safety was in jeopardy. This was not following a drive by shooting nearby and dangerous criminal was on the loose. It was a traffic issue, he escalated the situation. Even eyewitness Jeff Darlington of ESPN (who was 10 feet from it) stated Sheffler was fully complying, rolled his window down and tried to explain the confusion. Then the officer (who was embarrassed I am sure after ripping his pants), ripped his door open, slung Sheffler against the back of the car and cuffed him. Sheffler asked Darlington "can you help me?", when Darlington tried to tell the officer who he was, the cop yelled "You can't help him, he is going to jail, nothing you can do about it, he is going to jail."

I’m assuming the assault of a police officer charge stems from Scottie not stopping for about 10-15 yards after the cop jumped on his vehicle. Also assume he was driving very slow, maybe 5 mph. The assault charge is laughable. Of course I got arrested once arguing with a cop after I blew under the limit after he says you passed but barely so I’d like you to do more test. I wasn’t haven’t it, he got In my face and I pointed my finger at him and his report said I made a threatening move with my finger. Really tough guys some of these douchebags are.

I’m assuming the assault of a police officer charge stems from Scottie not stopping for about 10-15 yards after the cop jumped on his vehicle. Also assume he was driving very slow, maybe 5 mph. The assault charge is laughable. Of course I got arrested once arguing with a cop after I blew under the limit after he says you passed but barely so I’d like you to do more test. I wasn’t haven’t it, he got In my face and I pointed my finger at him and his report said I made a threatening move with my finger. Really tough guys some of these douchebags are.
I mean he was in a traffic jam so I can't imagine he was going too fast. 🤣

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I'm 66 and have never spent a night in jail but I've had several meetings with cops and every single time I was treated like a criminal they just hadn't caught yet. Nothing gets me mad quicker than being talked down to by somebody half my age and iq so I've told a couple off. To their credit they never arrested me for talking crap to them though one did vow to put me behind bars one day "no matter what it took". Tough talk; never happened.

Valhalla, is that the golf course that had some big PGA tournaments from the late 90’s to 2024, and then was never heard from again?
1996 PGA Championship
2000 PGA Championship
2007 Ryder Cup
2014 PGA Championship
2024 PGA Championship

Edit: I think I got the joke now.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I'd say a healthy amount of responsibility is on LMPD, and some on PGA as well in terms of communication and coming up with a plan to make sure players, vendors, event workers/groups etc in a situation like this are able to get in.

Traffic and logistics are already a shit show when everything is going right. Throw in acts of god and accidents, things going off script, all parties have got to be in lock step.

Though it's a tragedy and undoubtedly a logistical chaotic mess, there has to be some understanding on the part of the police, that it's not a normal Tuesday traffic accident outside Wendy's where you can kind of shut it down and some folks will have to go without their morning biscuit.

It's a global sporting championship. The show is going to go on, and specific credentialed people are going to be showing up, regardless of traffic accident scene rules.

Scotty was in an official PGA car. Not saying he's above the law, but the car clearly indicates he is not some Joe fan or morning commuter trying to take a shortcut or blatantly disregard traffic/accident protocols.

"DA VILLE" better tread carefully. They're likely to never host a major golf championship again if they raise to much of a stink and go all in with all the charges. Other sporting events will take notice too. If the City can't handle this, it's going to be hard to get people to want to do business.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
If I am Sheffler, I maybe stay on the grounds of Valhalla tonight. No telling what Keystone cop he may run into tomorrow trying to get to work. Sleep in the damn locker room Scotty, avoid LMPD. But he does run this risk of after hour cop seeing lights on, then being arresting for breaking and entering or the minimum trespassing.

Many of us have been where the traffic cop is being extremely confusing and we misunderstand what they want or they are indicating want us to do something dangerous or that we can’t do
Add to that the fact that it's raining, blue lights are strobing, and the police and event security are all wearing yellow raincoats.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
If I am Sheffler, I maybe stay on the grounds of Valhalla tonight. No telling what Keystone cop he may run into tomorrow trying to get to work. Sleep in the damn locker room Scotty, avoid LMPD. But he does run this risk of after hour cop seeing lights on, then being arresting for breaking and entering or the minimum trespassing.
He'll probably be leaving in a heavily tinted Escalade. He won't be driving.

And add the fact SEVERAL vehicles ahead of Sheffler was waved thru. He was just following other golfers who was waved thru. Odd the cop decided to pick his vehicle out and jump on it ??? Maybe he has Rory to win prop bet and was just tying to better his odds, lol.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Add to that the fact that it's raining, blue lights are strobing, and the police and event security are all wearing yellow raincoats.
And it was dark outside, raining, and confusion everywhere. I get it that the cop was trying to do his job, but what I don't get is him escalating the situation by jumping onto the very slow moving car. Totally uncalled for, this was not a pursuit of a armed and dangerous criminal. it was traffic backed up.

And add the fact SEVERAL vehicles ahead of Sheffler was waved thru. He was just following other golfers who was waved thru. Odd the cop decided to pick his vehicle out and jump on it ??? Maybe he has Rory to win prop bet and was just tying to better his odds, lol.
Anybody betting on golf or NASCAR has a real problem.

This is about the only way you can get me to give a darn about golf. Very interesting and agree with most the cop is way more n the wrong here. He seemingly escalated the situation for little logical reason.

In his defense it was early and he's in the rain and probably already in a bad mood so I get it.

Feel like these charges will eventually be dropped or dropped to a lesser charge.

Reactions: truckbrandon
I like Scottie but there’s blame all around here. We all know in the end nothing will come of it due to a 2 tiered justice system. One if you’re a regular person and another for the rich and famous. Did Tiger even have a blood test when he was speeding and flipped his car and basically ended his competitive career? We know he’s been on pain meds for a years now. All it is now is fan boys who take up for their hero whoever it is at the time, when everybody knows deep down their ass wouldn’t be making their tee time if it happened to them.

Before all the facts came out I was fairly certain Scottie was in the wrong but now there have been multiple witnesses corroborate Scotties story and they came from different vehicles so it's not like they could get together and make sure their stories match. I nearly always back the police but it seems like they were in the wrong and just trying to cover their tracks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT